News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

High beams during daytiime ?

Started by sctparker, June 09, 2018, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctparker

Whats your take ? I took a riding course some years back and if I remember correctly it was suggested to run high beams during the day to be seen. I do not practice this at least not on purpose. Over time I have observed whether riding a bike or caging , when a bike comes up behind me or if I am meeting them, if they are high beaming they become a wash and it makes it difficult to judge there speed or if they have a blinker on  , these both becomes worse if the bike has a white fairing . Talking with non riders they seem to have the same perception , riders that do the high beam during the day say they do it to be seen ( yeah you are seen but as a blur ) they also make the comment about people pulling out in front of them less _ this I have a hard time beleiving from experience and observation most of the time- not all- but more times than not when someone pulls out in front of a motorcycle the motorcyclist is actually speeding ,if they are truthfull with themselves., this is true with both cages and bikes I have to pull out on to a AL 2 lane  highway from my neighborhood at a long sweeping curve if any vehicle comes around the curve +5-10 above the posted speed limit  they sometimes get but hurt thinking they have been pullled out in front of, but that's a different discussion this one is about high beams and daylight.

LawnmowerRG

Scott I don't run High Beams in the day. I do have extra lights on the front of my bike. These run at 10% capacity with the low beams. I did that for extra visability. I can't really tell if they have worked in the day time. But at night even on low the bike has a much larger light signature. Even though it is not blindingly bright. Now if I want to to bind them I can. I can also bind myself with the shine back from the street signs.

Like you I drive a lot. I really think bright lights in the daytime is a bad idea. If you don't dim at night or run super bright HID, LED, or even halogens you are stupid. I have passed people with lights so bright I could have hit them head on simply because I could not see anything. Including where I was at in the road. Even one kid running a 50in? light bar during the day.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

springer

Low beam,I only use  high beams when I think there is a need, like I need to see a bit down the road for a turn or something.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

LawnmowerRG

I use High the same way Springer.
I also may flash it if I think a driver doesn't see me, but I don't leave it on.

renchinrider

Ditto Lawnmower. 

Just my opinion (mostly based on my own response to others using hi beams), but not only are the beams blinding, but the unsettling sensation caused by the "blindness" angers me very quickly, especially if the car/bike is behind me, and is clearly running their hi beams for no appreciable reason. >:(  I have kept my cool reasonably well, but I wouldn't want another driver to lose their cool with me because my hi beams annoyed them to the extreme...
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

bblass

Jumping on the bandwagon as well; use my high beams like I would in a car.

Personally not a fan of anything that will distract oncoming drivers, i.e flickering headlights.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Chitza

Agree on the flickering headlights. Most cagers flick their headlights to indicate it's clear to pull out. I don't want that confusion when I'm trying to say "Look! Here I am! DON'T pull out!"
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kdtrull

The ones I lock in on and notice best are the cruisers with multiple, non-bedazzling filament type lights in layered spread patterns.  Looks good and unusual enough to catch my eye without being blinded.  Smaller bikes are largely SOL for this configuration.  Unique configurations and no petawatt laser diodes aimed at my face are where it's at, IMHO.

Now, what do you thing about riders that make pretty aggressive lateral moves to get attention when it appears a car may pull out?  I've read about that before but don't remember any established efficacy.

Hammerdown77

The "SMIDSY" technique. "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You"

There is decent science/research behind the idea. Basically, by weaving a bit or wagging your headlights, you create a horizontal image of lights that triggers what a driver is typically looking for, which is car headlights spaced apart by an appreciable distance. Also, the movement helps a driver's brain better determine distance to the oncoming vehicle. Often, because motorcycles are smaller, and have a single or closely spaced headlights, it is difficult for a driver to determine how far away they are, and the speed at which they're approaching. They can see you for a couple of seconds and it appears you have not gotten any closer, so they have time to turn in front of you, when in fact they do not.

I will do a little wag or weave when entering an intersection with a car waiting to turn across traffic in the oncoming lanes. I've actually seen folks start to turn and then suddenly slam on the brakes when I start to weave a bit, so I know that triggered something with them.

But, I don't do it erratically or aggresively. You don't need a lot of movement, just something to wake the brain up and register the distance.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Chitza

I know Alagasco did some studies about the illusion of distance and speed for one headlight. It was part of their safety training for crossing RR tracks. One headlight is difficult to judge speed and distance was their conclusion.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kdtrull

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on June 14, 2018, 12:09:27 PM
But, I don't do it erratically or aggresively.

Yeah...aggressive may have been a little too strong....all I meant was noticeably intentional. 
The supporting argument seems valid....not unlike the fly on the dash you never see until he starts to move around.

bblass

I'll do the weave in the lane when I want someone to notice I am behind them and would prefer for them not to be toodling in the left lane. Sometimes it works?

If I see someone waiting to turn left in front of me I'll always look at their tires. Pointed straight I'll try to speed up and zip past them while moving to the right side of the lane or fall in next to a car. If they're already turned and there's no car to pair up with I'll move to the left side and prepare to emergency brake or maneuver.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

LawnmowerRG

Quote from: kdtrull on June 14, 2018, 11:35:56 AM
no petawatt laser diodes aimed at my face are where it's at, IMHO.

I don't know anything about that.
😗
My Baja Design lights will burn holes through he back of a drivers head if I so choose that setting.