Calling out ALL old farts! (WARNING, may contain humor)

Started by springer, June 26, 2018, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springer

Twenty somethings? Snot nose brats barely out of diapers.
Thirty somethings? Heck, I have shoes that are older.
Forty somethings? Just getting the hang of this motorcycle thing.

So, who are the real riders? Who are the gentlemen who can tune a carb with a twig?, Fix a flat with just a screwdriver and mud? 

Why the older, mature gentlemen and Ladies of course. Guys and Gals well into their 50's, 60's and beyond!

We started riding when dinosaurs roamed the earth...and learned how to dodge them by wheeling up their tail! 

And now finally someone has made a video about us!

So set back, grab a coke, beer, bottle of Geritol, or what ever your drink of choice is and enjoy!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

2372ighost

After giving up dirt bikes some 23yrs ago and staying strictly on touring bikes since, the dual sport community peaked a latent interest in putting my toe back in the shallow end of the off road pool.
I am greatly appreciative of the acceptance of all the riders that I have met on the three official dual sport rides I have participated in since December.
I am an official "old fart"

.......Is my zipper up?
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Brian A

That was really cool.

I sold my dirtbike a month or so back but still have the DR650. Will be on it before long for a week of off-roading in Colorado. I know it will be a great time, as always, with guys a lot younger than me.

Low back issues, which the docs and I both realized presented legit concerns if I keep experiencing episodes of high impact to my back, lead me to sell the CRF 250. True dirtbike riding opportunities are more limited in my world these days, from a location standpoint. Most places I used to go play are now off-limits (trespassing) or gone (developed - housing). So, I made the call to focus on the DR650 riding and the road trips on the Versys.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I do and will continue to miss the more hard core stuff the 250 allowed me to experience. But with most my riding buddies, understandably, taking advantage of the opportunities of the available options, which virtually always included stuff I knew was not a wise decision for me, I'd "opt out".  A few years ago I'd have been riding the same stuff, so who can blame them? Certainly not me!

Years ago O'dell said "I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of not living."  That is exactly how I feel. The fear of "not living" is powerful in me.
So, for now at least, I'll be "living" on the DR650 and the Versys.  Maybe one day, I'll live a little on a dirtbike again. Time will tell.

In the meantime......

Colorado is gonna be a blast!!

Mulley

Here's the original video that was referenced. I've only watched a few minutes so far and I can tell it's going to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

and the sequel. Same old guys but riding with Graham Jarvis, Colton Haaker and other pros.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKFYZDaMkAM

How did I miss these gems?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

springer

Quote from: Brian A on June 27, 2018, 08:21:03 AM
That was really cool.

I sold my dirtbike a month or so back but still have the DR650. Will be on it before long for a week of off-roading in Colorado. I know it will be a great time, as always, with guys a lot younger than me.

Low back issues, which the docs and I both realized presented legit concerns if I keep experiencing episodes of high impact to my back, lead me to sell the CRF 250. True dirtbike riding opportunities are more limited in my world these days, from a location standpoint. Most places I used to go play are now off-limits (trespassing) or gone (developed - housing). So, I made the call to focus on the DR650 riding and the road trips on the Versys.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I do and will continue to miss the more hard core stuff the 250 allowed me to experience. But with most my riding buddies, understandably, taking advantage of the opportunities of the available options, which virtually always included stuff I knew was not a wise decision for me, I'd "opt out".  A few years ago I'd have been riding the same stuff, so who can blame them? Certainly not me!

Years ago O'dell said "I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of not living."  That is exactly how I feel. The fear of "not living" is powerful in me.
So, for now at least, I'll be "living" on the DR650 and the Versys.  Maybe one day, I'll live a little on a dirtbike again. Time will tell.

In the meantime......

Colorado is gonna be a blast!!

Yea, times sure have changed.  In the 80's and 90's, 1990's NOT 1890's thank you very much  ;) , I would hop on my 1988 KZ250 (2smoke goodness) and ride up 15th street to the "Belt line".  The belt line was a huge conveyor belt that ran from coal mines in the area around Brighton to the Warrior river. On Saturdays there would be pickup trucks parked up and down where the the belt line crossed 15th street. No gates, no fence, no No Trespassing signs, nothing to block the way. 

Then some No Trespassing signs showed up.(That we ignored) Then a fence and a gate showed up. (That we rode around)

Then the police showed up and proceeded to give out tickets and/or ticket the trucks...a bunch of tickets. Everything from parking on the side of the road on private land, trespassing, just any and everything they could. When we came in for a lunch break, they were towing some of the trucks away. Since I didn't have a truck parked there, I just rode away...and got chased a bit. (Hard to keep up with that 2smoke goodness  ;) ) Others, on Dual Sports where stopped and ticketed.

My neighbor and I talked about what happened that night. The police told him they would be there every Saturday from then on...and they yep, they were there.
So that ended that.
He sold his dirt bike and bought a Harley to ride on the street. Shortly there after, I sold mine and bought a street bike.

I didn't do any dirt riding until I bought that XR650L, and then rode it mostly on the street. (until I broke it) I have ridden the A.T. on the dirt, but not much...just some easy stuff.

Times do change. It is a fact of life...just like growing old.  :( I plan on riding something 2wheeled for as long as I can.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

griff

One of the best riders I've ever ridden with is in his early 70s. He was racing in the woods long before I was born. He usually surprises folks the first time they ride with him.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Gam

So who is oldest fart here? I'm 69.  Me and my ancient riding (same age)  buddy are riding in Idaho for 6 days next month, he has a 500 EXC and I have one rented.

me in the garbage dump race track around 1970

him in the garbage dump race track around 1970

him week before last (lives in Colorado now) and he is still wicked fast, me..I ride all out one day a year just to see what happens, don't know if I can stand 6 days of it.

Nice Goat

Quote from: Gam on June 27, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
...Me and my...buddy are riding in Idaho for 6 days next month...

Ooooh, I hope you are planning to take pictures and a do a ride report.  Idaho is on my list.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

2372ighost

Quote from: Gam on June 27, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
So who is oldest fart here? I'm 69.  Me and my ancient riding (same age)  buddy are riding in Idaho for 6 days next month

I'm 71. Started on a Sears Allstate. I didn't know anyone that had a camera. 😁
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

norton73

Cool!
At 61, I figured I was near the top of the list of old farts.

Now I feel young again. 
Loose nut holding the handlebars

gulfcoaster

Quote from: Nice Goat on June 27, 2018, 09:02:22 PM
Ooooh, I hope you are planning to take pictures and a do a ride report.  Idaho is on my list.
+1. Had a friend from another local forum(gun related) move back home to Idaho last year. From the pics he's posted, I need to go there!! I've tried to get him into motorcycles, but he won't do it. The scenery from Idaho is beautiful.

norton73

Lynn & i are going to Idaho at the end of July into August, but no bikes. We will be kayaking the Middle Fork of the Salmon with raft support. This will be our 3rd trip out there, I need to take a bike on one of these trips someday.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

I just now found this thread.  I don't know how I missed it when it was originally posted.  There's some great stuff here and it's inspiring as I approach Geezerdom ;D