News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

The Littlest DR Project

Started by Nice Goat, July 07, 2018, 03:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Soaking the carb in PineSol tonight.  Planning to work on the handlebars later tonight also.  We may be ready for riding lessons by tomorrow afternoon!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Got the carb cleaned, rinsed, and back together with new parts.  It was amazing how much dirt and crud was in the carb.  Now it runs like new!

Nice Goat

Still have a few small things left to do on the bike, but she had her first ride today!

DonJuan

Quote from: Nice Goat on August 03, 2018, 07:20:35 PM
Soaking the carb in PineSol tonight.  Planning to work on the handlebars later tonight also.  We may be ready for riding lessons by tomorrow afternoon!

So, how does PineSol work on carbs?
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

Nice Goat

Quote from: DonJuan on August 12, 2018, 06:36:57 PM
So, how does PineSol work on carbs?

It does a great job of loosening the dirt, grime, and crud.  You have to remove all of the non-metal pieces (rubber o-rings, float needles, diaphragms, etc.) before immersing the metal pieces in 100% PineSol, i.e., not diluted. 

Take lots of pictures with your smartphone while disassembling the carb.  It helps you remember where everything goes later on when you are trying to put it back together.

I also recommended taking one strand of copper from a twisted copper cable and cleaning the little tiny passages in your carb before the PineSol bath.  The copper will not scratch or damage your carb.

The PineSol soak should last for 18-24 hours, depending on how cruddy your carb might be.  Then you just rinse all the parts really well with water, and use compressed air to dry.  Make sure all of the passages and crevices are dry.

And if you are going to do all of this, I recommend getting a carb rebuild kit, so that you can use all new needles, jets, o-rings, etc., when you reassemble the carb.

BamaPhill

Awesome that you are doing this project with your daughter.  It's so important to spend time with them at this age.  She will be going off to college before you know it! It's not motorcycle related, but my son and I did a Father/Son project with an old Chevy Malibu that my dad gave to my son.  We swapped an EFI 5.3L LS V8 into it and interior upgrades.  It is something that I know I will remember and I hope my son will have fond memories of too.  We completed it when he was a Junior in high school.  He drove it his Junior and senior high school years.  We parked it in the garage when he went off to college.  He's graduated college and it's still sitting there.  My son is saving up for a house now, but I hope he will ask me to "help" when he gets ready to get it back on the road again. 

Hope I didn't offend or take over thread with my "car stuff".  This just brought back good memories of bonding time between my son and I.  Awesome thread, looking forward to more updates!
2013 DR650
2015 CRF250L

LT

I did the same with my son and his 73 Beetle and 78 Hawk. Good times that we will always remember.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Thanks, everybody.  It has been fun doing this project with my daughter.  My daughter can now start, stop, change gears, and ride around the neighborhood, so we're going to be passing this bike on to somebody else now.  If anybody has a teenager, spouse, Mom, Dad, etc., who wants to learn how to ride, this is the perfect bike.  It will not scare them or hurt them at all.

2372ighost

Quote from: Nice Goat on August 14, 2018, 06:32:17 PM
Thanks, everybody.  It has been fun doing this project with my daughter.  My daughter can now start, stop, change gears, and ride around the neighborhood, so we're going to be passing this bike on to somebody else now.  If anybody has a teenager, spouse, Mom, Dad, etc., who wants to learn how to ride, this is the perfect bike.  It will not scare them or hurt them at all.

So, wat are you moving her up to?
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Nice Goat

Quote from: 2372ighost on August 14, 2018, 09:42:47 PM

So, wat are you moving her up to?

Going to get her a new Honda CRF 125 (big wheel version)