News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Why did you join?

Started by lastparrot, July 17, 2018, 10:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastparrot

I am curious as to why you chose to join Motorcycle Alabama (or Bama Rides for us old timers)?

Was it to talk riding or bikes?
Hope of finding people to ride with?
You love to ride for pie?
Was it to get help with something mechanical?

Just curious. If you don't want to put the reason out here publicly feel free to send a direct message to me.

- lastparrot

klaviator

I joined when I moved to Alabama to meet other riders to ride with.  I was already on some other forums.  There are plenty out there if you just want to talk about bikes.  If you want to meet other people to ride with in Alabama, Bamarides/Motorcycle Alabama has just been more active than any other site I have found.  BTW, I found bamarides because someone mentioned it on ADV. 

I'm still on other forums but when it comes to finding other people to ride with this forum is still the best.

kylepeterson

because it's the best motorcycle forum around.

and it happens to be local for me.

and there's zero bs/drama/spam.

lots more reasons, but that's pretty much what.
just give 'er the berries !

Nice Goat

I joined in 2012 in order to connect with other people who like motorcycles ...

I did not specifically join to...

... learn how to perform maintenance
... learn how to camp off a motorcycle
... learn how to ride off-road
... learn how to travel longer distances
... learn how to gymkhana
... etcetera

... but I have learned all of that and much more.

And I have made some good friends in the process as well.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KrisCook

I joined back in 2008, right after I bought a Honda Rebel and decided I was going to learn to ride.  I didn't know a soul who rode a motorcycle.  I initially Googled "good roads in Alabama" and got a hit that was a thread on the BamaRides forum.  I lurked a day or two, then joined up and asked a question (without introducing myself, but this was the first forum I'd ever seen, and I didn't know the basic forum etiquette) (which got me a scolding by Don Redman) that was answered enthusiastically by several members.  Not only were they helpful to a COMPLETE newbie like me, they were witty and funny as all get-out.  I was so hooked.  Like on crack.

Now all my best friends are people I met here.  Actually, maybe all of my friends, period, best or not. 

This place can change your whole life. 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

bblass

I think I started out as a lurker circa 2012 when I was looking for a KLR. I'd check in every now and then to see what was for sale but never really participated. Once I got into wrenching I wound up getting sucked into the technical threads and grew from there. Now I hang out with forum folks one or two nights a week and ride with them a few times a month.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

springer

Joined Bamarides 2007 or 6? Forum was pretty small then. A fella I worked with, Wild2waterski also known as Calvin, had joined and he kept bugging me to sign-up...so I did. At first, I didn't pay that much attention to it, then I went on a few rides and off we went.  ;)
Stayed on through the crash, then the rebuild, then something happened I did not like and wouldn't tolerate so I left. Joined back up when Motorcycle Alabama started and y'all been stuck with me ever since.
I am a member of a couple of other forums, XROG, ADVrider, but this is my fav. I know most that are on here and can remember when they joined. J.R., Yamahamer, Kris, Chitza, and a few others. Some have gone and came back, others have gotten out of motorcycles completely. Alot have become very close friends, confidants, and partners in crime.  :D We have even taken over a place, then stunk it up.  :D

Did my first trackday because of this forum and the folks I have meet;

Miss some old dear friends that are no longer here :(

But their sprite is;

I plan on hanging around here for as long as I can...someone has to carry that pine box I will be in.  ;) Y'all are just the folks I want doing it.

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

renchinrider

I met Klaviator at a Cycle Gear Bike Night, and he told me about the site and community.  He described the membership in a way that made me want to check it out, so I did...Best move I've made!

I can't think of anything I don't like about this site, and I really enjoy the rare opportunities when I can actually join up with some of you and do some riding, or just to hang out.  Highlights that stand out in my mind include:

JRobinson's Firehouse BBQ
Fellowship at Vintagefest under the (formerly) BamaRides Tent
Al Goodwin's Nowhere to be and All Day to get There gatherings

The icing on the cake has been those occasions when NAVMC and MC-AL members have come together to share a ride and a meal :)

Indeed, like Springer, I plan to always be a member of this great forum, because of the fantastic people that compose it!

Thanks for having me!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

maydaymike

I was told there would be cake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

klaviator

Quote from: maydaymike on July 20, 2018, 12:29:03 PM
I was told there would be cake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You heard wrong.  There is pie, not cake :D

Chitza

I joined because I was trying to sell my VStrom and @Tiger listed here. I decided to sign up because it didn't seem fair for him to field all the questions. It's been all up and down hill, and around a few curves, since then.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

gulfcoaster

I grew up riding with my dad around B'ham.  Then I moved down to the coast and bought a bike that was a 180 from what I've rode in the past(KTM 1190).  My googling on the bike led me to ADV.  While looking on there for people to ride with I ran across a comment about BamaRides.  So I joined up to see what was going on.  Not long after, Chuck & Susan invite me and a few others out to dinner.  I then realized what this forum is all about.  Even though I live far from where most of the rides occur, this community is inviting of all people, and that is something truly unique to MC-AL.  And it means a lot to me, a guy who once rode a Yamaha cruiser, then a Harley, then a KTM.  I even rode, but didn't own, a few sport bikes in between. So while I'm trying to figure out what I want to ride, all of the people here are encouraging no matter what.  Try and find that on another forum.

Chuck & Susan

Johnny Robinson told Chuck to join and I followed.  LOL   Susan
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

LawnmowerRG

I Joined about 09. I was riding many of the Photo tags on ADV Rider. Then I think it was Donavan and Catang50 that got me on a ride and Camp up the Talldega Skyline. I signed up and people have been trying to get me to Quit ever since. To many friends here now. I just can't imagine life without them.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

DachshundUberAlles

I joined in hopes of finding others to ride with on occasion. sadly, since the majority won't travel below Jefferson County, it never really worked out. Of the people I did actually meet through the site, I have only had extended interaction with Shane Richardson and Nichole Caramichael and that's at the STT events at Barber.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.