Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

testing my s9+

Started by springer, August 08, 2018, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctparker

Quote from: JBMFT on August 09, 2018, 10:47:23 PM
Respectfully..

My assumption would be that you don't have a preference because you've never wanted your phone to do something an iphone wasn't capable of or Apple didn't think you needed to do or should have.

The point isn't about these examples and whether or not the iphone will do them (it won't btw

:)) The point is that I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a device and then be told what I can or cannot do with it that is within the device's capabilities. Whether or not Apple makes good devices is not the issue. They do. Are they their own worst enemy when it comes to the limitations that are put on the devices they make? Without a doubt.

In terms of water and dust resistance, the iphone-x is rated IP67. Every Galaxy from the S7 on has been rated IP68. Ironically neither Apple or Samsung provide warranty coverage for water damage to their phones.

Samsung is the sole supplier for screens in the iphone-x. Apple has made a large investment in LG in an effort to reduce their reliance on Samsung. LG cannot meet Apple's demand but most reports point to LG supplying around 20% of screens in iphones produced this year. LG was struggling to get the same display quality as Samsung in the smaller screen sizes and will provide screens for the phones with larger displays.

Edited for a grammatical error.

This is like harley versus any other bike and which oil to use
Both Os's  do have a cult following just like some motorcycle brands
I use both android and ios on way to many devices in my house

Don't know of anything I've wanted a phone to do that either system will not do

You posted examples of things saying  android will do that ios  will not
you can schedule do not disturb times that are automatic
you can ask siri to read me the weather for my current location and it does
siri reads me my text out loud while I am driving every day (200 or more  miles a day) and when riding with sena on and can reply automatically that I'm driving  or with a custom text automaically it doesn't tell how fast I am traveling no one really needs to know my speed
Life 360 works on both operating systems

I don't need to shower or swim with a phone
the difference in the two ratings is .5 meters- 19 1/2 inches in a controled enviroment

JBMFT

Agreed 100%. This is exactly like bike brand and oil debates.  ;)

IOS is great for casual phone users who don't need or want as much customization. That is not to say it doesn't have a ton of features. It certainly does. Android is for people who are casual users OR people who really want to get under the hood and make tweaks. That is why you'll find tons of customized Android versions out there, versions of the Android OS that people have altered to run and function like they want. The only versions of IOS are the ones that come from Apple.
The app markets are the same way. You can only get apps that Apple approves. Android doesn't police their app market much. 

Regarding the examples, will the iphone do some of those things? Sure. Will it do all of them or all of the functions? No. The difference is in the details. I don't have to ask my phone to read me the weather. It is programmed to just do it without prompting. To me, that is an important distinction. The usefulness or utility of that isn't what I am debating. The fact that I want it that way and my Android will do it, is. Does anyone need to know how fast I am going? No. Is it impressive to me that my Galaxy will pull that data and include in an automatic reply? I certainly think so. Am I happy that my OS of choice will let me decide what I want the phone to do regardless of the reason I want it to do it? Indeed.

Regarding the water resistance, a friend and I got caught in the rain on a ride. It killed his iphone. I still have the same Galaxy. You could probably find people who had the opposite experience: the iphone lived and the Galaxy died. The Galaxy line has the higher rating and had water/dust resistance longer that the iphone series.

Bottom line: each OS is well suited to a different type of user. I have two friends who are huge Apple nuts. One owns an Apple specific service/installation/etc company. Both have expressed frustrations about things they wish their phones could do that Android phones can. I have other friends that get frustrated that their Android phones aren't simpler or more intuitive. I have another friend who is moving to the Google Pixel line because he wants a more pure version of the Android OS.

I guess what I am saying is that there is a phone for every ear. :))

springer

WOW... ???

Didn't mean for this simple post on me figuring out my new smarty pants phone to turn into such a debate about the best smart brainy cellphone.

But since it has...here is my 2 cents.  ;)

You are both WRONG! That's right, wrong I say!

The mostest bestest cellphone in all the world and days is THIS phone \/

Now flip out on that /\   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Warning, this post needs a sense of humor to read.  :D :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

We needed a good cell phone thread.  I bought my first smart phone over 5 years ago and I still have it.  It's a Samsung Stratosphere.  It was outdated when I bought it.  It's a lot smarter than I am.  I use it as a phone, calender, alarm clock and occasionally use it to get on the internet or use the GPS.  Apps?  Not sure I remember how to even load one of those on my phone.  I keep telling myself I need to join the 21st century, get a new phone and actually learn how to use it but besides being technologically challenged I'm a procrastinator.   

kylepeterson

stuff I need...

full access to all cellular/gps/WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth/FM radio/etc antennas, all the time. no jail braking, no rooting, no hoops to jump through, just simple plain access to exploit their abilities completely.

that means I want to send files to other devices over Bluetooth/Android Beam/NFC initiated WiFi-Bluetooth/WiFi direct/all of the above.

I want NFC to be able to scan library book labels, instead of only make NFC payments.

I want the NFC payment to work like it should, at every NFC station, not just the Samsung/apple/whoever approved POS machines. nfc is a standard, make it happen Captain.

Bluetooth-don't you dare try to sell me a device that says "BLUETOOTH!!!" in big bold letters, then only to define it in tiny print as "only to other similar genre Garmin devices".

WiFi - STFU and give me the ability to connect to all other WiFi capable devices. yes, even if they're cracked/hacked. that camera from 2008 is still awesome, even if it's not on your official list of secure devices.

removable battery ... required
rugged/waterproof ... required, no cases, no bs, just make it capable of surviving 7-8 foot drops onto concrete and sitting in a middle puddle for an hour or twelve.
loud speaker- I want to hear the damned thing on speakerphone, without having to look like 99% of the soccer mom's that are deep throating their phones with one hand, drinking lattes with the other, driving with with tiny knees, etc
bright display-

offline mapping applications that do more than any stand alone good ever dreamed of..

if the Android/iOS device doesn't meet those requirements, I'm not buying it.

that's it, my short list. the 35mpxl cameras, octa core processors, and .0000005" thin phone bodies mean nothing to me.

right now the Kyocera duraforce XD (what a name, sheesh) covers the bases. I really like the Samsung s5 neo (the neo doesn't need waterproof flaps like the active does) too.

if the iPhones got those functions, and the price was around fifty bucks like this old XD, I'd have one of those too sport.
just give 'er the berries !

2372ighost

I don't understand 10% of which you speak, but I love reading your rants :'(
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

springer

Quote from: 2372ighost on August 10, 2018, 02:47:13 PM
I don't understand 10% of which you speak, but I love reading your rants :'(
Rants? What rants?  :D :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

KevinB

Listening to JT and Kyle talk about specs and features has me like...

springer

Google photo test;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZiUF39J3ASV5QjK88

[url]https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZiUF39J3ASV5QjK88

springer

springer

springer

springer

Gam

I lost my sony rx (some number goes here) last winter on dual sport trip to Conecuh NF,  I just did without a small camera until got time to go to Idaho this summer and I got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10 to carry on that trip. Well the durn thing quit working the second time I used it, it would focus but nothing happened when pushed the button all the way down to take the pic.  B&H wouldn't take it back because I had thrown the packaging away, so I had to send it to Texas for repair. A week before the trip, didn't have the camera back, so I read these S9's have a pretty good camera, I don't carry a cell phone on daily basis, but I really didn't want to to buy another camera, so I got this fancy cell phone.  The day before I left for Idaho I got my camera back. I took the fancy cell phone with me, but I didn't use it for many pics, here are some I took, the lens flare looks like I had a special effects filter on there..this flare is not in my pocket camera pics.  Still don't carry a cell phone.

Receiving a Power Ranger distress call

springer

I have a newer Fuji XP, it has WiFi, waterproof to 20 m/65ft, and shock-proof to 1.75m/5.8 ft that I hardly ever use.

Why?

The picture/video quality on the s9+ is much better, the video/picture apps are good enough I do not have to go to a computer for post production, I can upload anywhere I have a cell signal/open WiFi, and I always have it on me since it is my primary cellphone.

If I am not using it /\ then I am using my GoPros for video/photos.