News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Itty Bitty Bikes, Epic Adventure

Started by klaviator, August 13, 2018, 08:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Those of you who have been on this forum for a while and know me have probably guessed that I am a big fan of little bikes.  I have taken some pretty cool trips on my 150 and 155cc scooters.  Yesterday I went on a nice ride on my Super 8 and got to take a small part in a truly Epic Adventure.

I bought my Kymco Super 8 at the end of 2010.  I rode it mostly around town but after a few months I was ready for a longer ride so I rode it to Guntersville and beyond.  It was really interesting taking such a small bike on a "long" ride.

I now have over 31,000 miles on the Kymco and plan on replacing it before long.  Yesterday I took it on what might be the last "long" ride I do on this bike.  I headed down to Guntersville and then to Guntersville Lake State park.  I stopped at a scenic overlook.

So while riding around Guntersville is very scenic, it's hardly Epic.  What was Epic was this:

klaviator

Those two bikes in the picture are Honda Groms.  They are tiny bikes with a whopping 125ccs of power.  They are on a trip from NYC to LA via the TAT ???

To make the trip more interesting the couple in the picture are from New Zealand.  They shipped their bikes over.  A few days back one of the Groms blew its shock.  Limited suspension travel and 12 inch wheels aren't the best thing for off road riding but without a shock it's much worse.  Luckily someone on the Grom Forum donated them his old shock.  They just needed some place to have it shipped and then get it installed.  I just happened to read their ride report on ADV and when they mentioned they had planned to spend a day in Huntsville to see the Space and Rocket Center I volunteered to help them out. 

So they wanted to do more of the TAT before getting here but they quickly realized that was not a good idea with a blown shock so they got on the pavement and ended up in Guntersville Lake SP on Saturday night.  I rode down Sunday morning to ride back to my place with them.  I've been itching to do a Itty Bitty Bike ride and this was my chance. 

After talking a bit we headed off.  Despite being on tiny bikes it didn't take long to come up behind some slow moving traffic.  With some nice curves ahead we pulled of to let the traffic get down the road.

Then it was on to Guntersville where we stopped at another scenic spot.

We also took a small detour off of 431 to check out the natural bridge.

klaviator

We stopped by Cycle Gear where they picked up a couple of quarts of oil.

Next Stop was the Space and Rocket Center.  They planned on going back on Monday so we just got some pictures from the parking lot.