News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Turning spoke wheels into tubeless wheels.

Started by springer, August 30, 2018, 09:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cahaba

I've read several times around folks using 3M Extreme Sealing tape to convert to tubeless.  It is similar to what Outex uses but a single application rather than the two layer setup from Outex.  I almost went this route instead of Outex.  Maybe it combined with your adhesive is the trick.  That Outex stuff is very sticky, can only imagine the chore it must be to get it back off. 

3M 4412N Sealant Tape (1 Roll) - Translucent, Pressure Sensitive Acrylic Adhesive Tape. Sealants and Adhesive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y7CLHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dVeJBbK18F20Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

springer

Quote from: Cahaba on September 02, 2018, 03:49:06 PM
I've read several times around folks using 3M Extreme Sealing tape to convert to tubeless.  It is similar to what Outex uses but a single application rather than the two layer setup from Outex.  I almost went this route instead of Outex.  Maybe it combined with your adhesive is the trick.  That Outex stuff is very sticky, can only imagine the chore it must be to get it back off. 

3M 4412N Sealant Tape (1 Roll) - Translucent, Pressure Sensitive Acrylic Adhesive Tape. Sealants and Adhesive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y7CLHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dVeJBbK18F20Q

Yep, that is what the guy in the video used. He said use a tape the is not air permeable. (Air will not pass through) Couldn't find the 3M tape anywhere in the Birmingham area so I got Gorilla Crystal Clear Fix, Patch, Seal tape.

Going to do 2 wraps of it.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Cahaba on September 02, 2018, 03:49:06 PM

That's what I used. It's more like a very thick/strong gel/foam kind of stuff with an even stronger/stickier adhesive. It will fill voids and stick to everything. Amazon had rolls of it for about 3$ per meter so I bought five. It is seriously sticky/good stuff. I wrapped over the 3m tape with some gorilla duct tape to protect it from tire changes, but I don't think it needs it at all.

The outix tape is good stuff, which ever you use just make sure it's completely free of oils/resins/guess before application. Like all adhesives, they only stick to clean surfaces.
just give 'er the berries !

Brian A

I used this stuff at work to address a helium gas leak in a compression fitting I messed up. It worked.
If it will stop helium, then it should do fine with atmospheric air.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-in-x-3-33-yd-Stretch-and-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-in-Black-1208952/100206050

springer

Just did the about 1/3 section of the rim but I did cover the whole wheel in 2 wraps of the Gorilla tape.

I will drink a cup of coffee, then get my morning walk on, and finally get the rear tire back on.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Brian A on September 03, 2018, 06:24:48 AM
I used this stuff at work to address a helium gas leak in a compression fitting I messed up. It worked.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-Tape-1-in-x-3-33-yd-Stretch-and-Seal-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-in-Black-1208952/100206050

Very cool find. Look, they come in colored too !
just give 'er the berries !

springer

Quote from: Brian A on September 03, 2018, 06:24:48 AM

Yea but it is not atmospheric air in a tire. It is air under pressure.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Atmospheric+air+pressure

kdtrull

Quote from: springer on September 03, 2018, 06:28:29 PM

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Atmospheric+air+pressure

Maybe he had been talkin' 'bout covalent radius 'n what-not???

Fencejumper09

My sumo wheels were done with silicone and that 3M tape! Never have noticed any air leaks but the tape has come undone at the ends!

Kind of acts like dynamic balancing!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KevinB

Quote from: springer on September 03, 2018, 06:28:29 PM

Since he said atmospheric "air" instead of "pressure", I took it to mean that he figured if it could stand up to Helium, it should do fine with the plain 'ole breathing kind of air - i.e., the air in the atmosphere around the pump that gets sucked in, compressed, then hosed into the tire.

Nice Goat

Quote from: kdtrull on September 04, 2018, 02:17:20 PM
Maybe he had been talkin' 'bout covalent radius 'n what-not???

Y'all stop trying to confuse folks with your talk about molecule sizes.

"Oh, mine's bigger!"

:D
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kdtrull

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 04, 2018, 05:08:19 PM

Y'all stop trying to confuse folks with your talk about molecule sizes.

"Oh, mine's bigger!"

:D

Well, now that you mention it:
I got your 28 picometers right here, Jack!  ;D

Brian A

Quote from: KevinB on September 04, 2018, 04:34:05 PM
Since he said atmospheric "air" instead of "pressure", I took it to mean that he figured if it could stand up to Helium, it should do fine with the plain 'ole breathing kind of air - i.e., the air in the atmosphere around the pump that gets sucked in, compressed, then hosed into the tire.

You'd be correct. Atmospheric air is pretty much like comparing a bowling ball to a BB when considering the size of the helium molecule.

If the silicone tape got me out of a pickle with helium gas, then it should be more than good enough for atmospheric air  (70% Nitrogen. 21% Oxygen.)
Especially considering the air pressure in the tire would be pushing the tape into the rim thereby making the pressure work to your advantage.

springer

Thanks for the laughs /\  :D Man I needed that. Okay, this is what I did;

Clean the hole the nipple goes in with acetone.

Put a bead of that super duty, handy dandy Marine stick'em caulk stuff around the hole the spoke nipple goes in;

Put the clean, as in cleaned with acetone, nipple washer on the bead of caulk;

Ran some more caulk around the nipple washer;

Now you see the hole in the nipple?

That is where most of the air was leaking through. So I filled that threaded part with caulk and placed it through the washer buried in caulk.

Nipple is filled with caulk from this end;

Till I could see caulk on the other end;

then placed through the washer in the caulk;

I used a phillips head screw driver to get the nipple started on the spoke and screwed it down until snug. Then tightened down with a spoke wrench.

I then ran some more caulk on the top so it was buried in chalk.

Repeat until all are done. 

I then ran that Gorilla super duty tape over the inside of the rim making sure to press it down to the rim. Rubbing all air bubbles out.

Tomorrow after I get out from the doctor's office I might put the tire on. More than likely I will just let it set-up for another day.

Nice Goat

Well, you've convinced me to never ever try this mod.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."