News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Harley E Bikes

Started by norton73, September 05, 2018, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-silicon-valley/

HD has announced they are opening a R&D facility in Silicon Valley.

Sounds like they are gonna take the world market seriously. Many cities in Asia and China have banned IC , my understanding is E scooters rule the streets. I still am a fan of the Live Wire.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

LawnmowerRG

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

bblass

I saw they recently split with Alta who claims they had the best battery tech out of any company out there (including Tesla). If they can figure out how to manufacture to a range and price point the livewire and some of the other e-bikes will probably be winners. I know I'm interested.

Also saw in another article that Ducati is up for sale from VW and HD is being viewed as a potential buyer. The pairing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I guess they are both "luxury" marques and Ducati's increasing sales would benefit exponentially from HD's dealer network. Either way, exciting to see HD in the news and not have it be related to lower MC sales.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

springer

Quote from: bblass on September 06, 2018, 08:21:24 AM
I saw they recently split with Alta who claims they had the best battery tech out of any company out there (including Tesla). If they can figure out how to manufacture to a range and price point the livewire and some of the other e-bikes will probably be winners. I know I'm interested.

Also saw in another article that Ducati is up for sale from VW and HD is being viewed as a potential buyer. The pairing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I guess they are both "luxury" marques and Ducati's increasing sales would benefit exponentially from HD's dealer network. Either way, exciting to see HD in the news and not have it be related to lower MC sales.

Yep. The more of us there are, the better off we are. ;)

Small groups can be easy pickings for stiffer regulations.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: norton73 on September 05, 2018, 06:33:21 PM
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-silicon-valley/

HD has announced they are opening a R&D facility in Silicon Valley.

Sounds like they are gonna take the world market seriously. Many cities in Asia and China have banned IC , my understanding is E scooters rule the streets. I still am a fan of the Live Wire.

big bold letters coming soon...
Designed by Harley Davidson in California

manufactured in Malaysia
just give 'er the berries !

kylepeterson

it's been working pretty well for Apple, why not?

warrantee work would consist of an e bike genius bar...
$900 "logic board" installs
$200 battery checks
complimentary washes while you get a hair cut
firmware flashes would be considered rooting/evil and void the warranty

I'm looking forward to anyone improving battery tech to 300 mile ranges and 30 minutes charge cycles

sctparker

And just think how much a tag is going to be when they figure out you aren't paying the road tax on fuel (22.91 cents per gallon in Alabama) and decide to add that tax to your tag renewel based on a mileage number they make up, then have you jump thru hoops or start a mandatory inspection to verify mileage  to get a refund or pay more. It's coming for cars too some states are charging a higher tag renewal for electric vehicles already. And traveing between states will require a road use tax/permit since you are using their road and not buying fuel and paying their road tax .

Going to be a tire eater also unless they limit the torque or come up with a motorcycle tire with tread like a car tire and not blocks like we have now that cup with aggresive accleration
With the torque of a electric motor it's going to be cupping/scalloping the rear tire constantly
My bike cups the rear tire faster if I start off aggressively  with very little torque.

kylepeterson

Quote from: sctparker on September 06, 2018, 06:14:04 PM
And just think how much a tag is going to be when they figure out you aren't paying the road tax on fuel (22.91 cents per gallon in Alabama) and decide to add that tax to your tag renewel based on a mileage number they make up, then have you jump thru hoops or start a mandatory inspection to verify mileage  to get a refund or pay more. It's coming for cars too some states are charging a higher tag renewal for electric vehicles already. And traveing between states will require a road use tax/permit since you are using their road and not buying fuel and paying their road tax .

Going to be a tire eater also unless they limit the torque or come up with a motorcycle tire with tread like a car tire and not blocks like we have now that cup with aggresive accleration
With the torque of a electric motor it's going to be cupping/scalloping the rear tire constantly
My bike cups the rear tire faster if I start off aggressively  with very little torque.

Taxes... Avoidable, for a little while

norton73

Coming to a dealership near you soon?

Can HD patent the sound of the LiveWire just like they patented Potato Potato?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1Hv8uuDY4

https://jalopnik.com/the-harley-davidson-livewire-is-the-companys-electric-f-1830266841

klaviator

Based on the picture I have to say they did a good job with the styling.  We'll just have to wait and see what the performance and cost are like.

JBMFT

Range. To me it is all about range.

kylepeterson

i beer if they ripped all that Fake Plastic (tm) off it they could get another 10-15 miles of range.

congrats Harley, you're the only electric moto maker there is now. that's so sad.

LawnmowerRG

How much is the tour pack?
If there is no exhaust to change, do you add a subwoofer?
How loud is the stereo anyway?
Will it shake paint like all the other Harley's?
And when will we see the CVO Flaming Eagle Skull Edition?
:D ;D
These are the important questions.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

norton73

Well, the Bar & Shield has managed to price the Livewire out of the reach of anyone wanting a commuter bike.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2020-harley-davidson-livewire-price-details/

$29,799

klaviator

Quote from: norton73 on January 07, 2019, 04:55:23 PM
Well, the Bar & Shield has managed to price the Livewire out of the reach of anyone wanting a commuter bike.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2020-harley-davidson-livewire-price-details/

$29,799

$29,799 ??? ???  Well then this won't be what they need to attract younger customers.  They need to get this down to around 10K if they want to sell more than just a few of them.