News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Track day, 2018

Started by DachshundUberAlles, March 24, 2018, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DachshundUberAlles

My 2018 STT Barber "season" will commence Sunday (3/25). The GSXR has been prepped with a through look over and the installation of Michelin Power RS tires. At least this first event will be "cheap" for me, as I bought it with a credit from the weather cancelled event last year and I still have a pail of VP fuel left over. It will just cost me the truck gas to get up there. I'm looking forward to getting back out on the track again, getting back together with the people I've come to know, and seeing some new faces out there as well.
Time to step outside and check the tire pressures on the truck and trailer, get GROM in the truck, the GSXR in the trailer, and the gear all loaded up.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Fencejumper09

Hope to see some pictures or videos from this! Hope all went well and fun was had!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

DachshundUberAlles

T'was a good day. I heard that Saturday was quite "eventful" in terms of oil downs and many crashes, but Sunday saw everyone in a "calmer" mood. I was very worried before the riders meeting even started because, for some strange reason, my leathers had shrunk since last I rode in October. I was afraid I would be going home on account of being TOO FAT to fit into my dang suit. Let this be a lesson to all who make the assumption that those extra helpings and/or stupid food choices won't catch you out. No more white (bread, pasta, potato, rice) foods for me for a while.
Then there was the re-acclimation to the bike itself. Riding the VFR as my street bike gave me a familiarity with the riding position of the GSXR, so it was never a big deal. Having had around five months of upright, relaxed seating of the Super Tenere brought a bit of "shock" to me, on top of how the suddenly very tight suit affected my breathing, but I managed to muddle through it all.
I had a good talk with the Michelin guys during my trip to tech inspection and got some baseline pressure numbers for these tires I've switched to. I went back to them after the third session, since that's when I really started put some serious effort into the riding, and they were able to give me good feedback on what to do about what they were seeing in the rear. It worked out perfectly because the rear looked fantastic when I came in after the fourth session. Now I have good baselines moving forward and a good feel for what to look for and which way to go with the changes to get things right. Much thanks to their expertise.
Alas, that fourth session (out of seven for the day) was it for me. In the (A) session that followed, someone did quite a oildown and not wanting to take any chances that something could catch me out, I went ahead and loaded up for the day. It's OK because I felt like I had a good "spring training" day to figure a few things out, ease myself back into the rhythm of it, and not overdo anything.
Next event for me will be Saturday April 25.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

springer

In addition to eating better I would also suggest some/more cardio exercise.

Helps in the weight loss and give you more stamina. When I started my weight-loss program I also started walking. After I got to the point of walking a mile in my hilly neighborhood, I picked up bicycling. Mostly off-road bike riding cause...well car/trucks on the road sort of get to close at times.  ;)

Now I feel better, weigh less, but still a ugly looking old fart.  ;) Not much I can do about that last part.  :D

When I started I was at 230# now I am holding at 175# ish

Dropped from a 38x32 to a 32x32 pant size.

Oh, BTW, I have really enjoyed your reports on your progress on the track! Keep it up!!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

DachshundUberAlles

I have been going to a fitness center for the past year now, mainly to work on the legs since that's what is most used on the track. I have begun easing my way into using the elliptical machines and a bit of swimming. My failing was in getting to complacent with things and backsliding on the carb intake, which I had been so effective in curbing previously. My cardiologist told me that that is what puts on the "gut" and I had done so well last year, so I know what it will take. I just messed up and took it for granted that since I had done the work, it would be easy to hold the line.

DachshundUberAlles

The STT event was actually April 14/15. It was a bummer that the only rain for a week prior and a week after was on Saturday, the day I was there. Luckily, it didn't roll in until later in the day, so I was able to do four sessions before packing up to drive home through the downpour. I decided to take advantage of the suspension service that was there to see what that would do so the bike and, probably more important, my mindset and comfort with it. Turned out to be money well spent. After an initial inspection and check over, they actually softened things up to make the bike "more compliant" with the track. Going out in session two the test the changes, it was most apparent in the "bottom out" (3, 9, 13, 14, 16) sections of the track, with the bike "sticking" much better through the turns. It's interesting to see/feel the results of raising the confidence level out there. Since Barber is the only track I go to, I can really concentrate all the sorting out efforts on getting the bike "in tune" with this track.
The first two sessions saw red flags in every single outing, the crash recovery truck getting quite the workout. thankfully, I didn't see the ambulance having to roll out on any of those occasions. On the "fat front", I've managed to whittle off a tidbit of "problem" and the leathers were a bit easier to get into, so that was a welcome turn. Considering the approaching weather, there was a really good turnout and everyone was quite courteous out there in (I) group, though that could have been the result of the lead instructor warning everyone that the six foot rule was going to be watched with a very close eye and that the pre ride warning was the one and only that was going to given.
Not sure when I'll be able to get out there next, but hopefully it will be soon.

DachshundUberAlles

Well, all loaded up and ready to go for tomorrow (Saturday). Supposed to be a high of 93, so it's going get rough by noon. Thankfully, Saturday is three sessions before the noon lunch break, so at least those should be (reasonably) pleasant. I don't know how deep into the day I'll make it, but I do know that I'll be spending MUCHO time in the media center AC, basically emerging around "first call" on the session. I do enjoy the time out on the track but dang, the heat sure takes it out of me.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

DachshundUberAlles

I worked the plan, hearing the "second call" announcement as I would emerge from the media center in my attempt to minimize the exposure to the heat. Despite all that, the end of the fourth session had me completely spent. The frustrating thing is that I feel I'm riding well and I have made solid efforts in tuning the handling of the bike to make it more effective for my style. It would appear that the heat has become a bit more of an enemy against me over these past couple of years. This being the case, I will definitely have to confine my participation to Saturday events and the three sessions before noon hour.
As far as the event itself, our group (I) seemed to be the red flag magnet, with the most incidents, at least during the time I was there, but at least none of them appeared to be severe.