Tellico Plains area dual sport ride 28-30 September

Started by klaviator, September 18, 2018, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I'm planning on heading to Tellico Plains on Friday Sept 28 for a weekend of dual sport riding.  I'll be camping at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground.  https://www.cmtrails.com/

I hope to get there early enough on Friday to do a short ride but the main ride will be Saturday.  This will be a mix of gravel, dirt and paved roads in the area.  There will be nothing real challenging so Big bikes will be fine. 

Sunday morning will be a real early ride to Deal's Gap.  The plan is to ride 129 before the traffic shows up, eat breakfast at DGMR, then head back to the campground and pack up and head for home. 

CMTC is a great place to camp and is surrounded by great riding both on and off the pavement.  If anyone wants to join us on a street bike I can point you to some great riding.

Nice Goat

Love that place.  Wayne, the owner, bends over backward to make sure you are comfortable and taken care of.

If you've never been dual sporting around Tellico, you should consider this trip.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Jwwr

Great minds and all. I had just put in for PTO this morning for that Friday with the plans of heading up there. I'll probably go up Thursday afternoon, but I'll see you there!

Jwwr

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 18, 2018, 01:20:53 PM
Love that place.  Wayne, the owner, bends over backward to make sure you are comfortable and taken care of.

If you've never been dual sporting around Tellico, you should consider this trip.
I couldn't agree with this more. I was staying there and had a mechanical issue in Robbinsville. I managed to limp back to the campground. Wayne comes by to check on me, and tells me if I ever have trouble again to call him and he will come haul me and the bike back to camp. It's 10 bucks to camp there, I feel like I'm ripping him off.   :)

klaviator

Which bike will you be on?  I'll be on the KLR but I plan on cheating and hauling it up there.

Jwwr

I'll be on the KTM350exc. I'll be trucking it up too.

Frank Smith

I'm tentative. Don't know whether to haul everything up on the GS or throw the WR on the back of the truck. I'll let you know. 
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

2372ighost

Ok, I've blocked myself off the flying schedule. The wife has given me a kitchen pass. I'm planning on coming as of now. Since no one is riding up, I'm trucking the 390 up. This will be my inaugural ride on it.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Frank Smith

Quote from: Frank Smith on September 23, 2018, 08:21:55 PM
I'm tentative. Don't know whether to haul everything up on the GS or throw the WR on the back of the truck. I'll let you know.

I'm out. I have to tend to matters on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully Sunday will be single track at West Point.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

Johnny Tobyone

I was planning on coming but have had a family issue come up :(
R1200R
CRF450L

klaviator

The weather forecast is looking good for this.  Rain today but dry fr, sa & sun.  Highs in the low 80s but keep in mind it will be cooler at higher elevations. 

klaviator

I'm hoping to get there around 2 tomorrow, set up camp and head out for a short ride.  I'll post in the morning before I leave with an updated ETA.

2372ighost

2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

klaviator

Looks like I'll make it out of here ahead of schedule.  May be there by 1.  See ya'll there.