News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Junkyard Dog Ride canceled ride. (there was a ride)

Started by polarissalesman, September 24, 2018, 10:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

Well most everyone got the word that JYDR was canceled except Scott Parker, I had posted on FB that I'd be there and if anyone wanted to ride we'd pick a direction and go. So Lexie Aycock,Felica Aycock, my wife LuAnn on her spyder, Scott & myself weighed our options and took off. We traveled from Hamilton to Guin and caught 107 to Fayette 171 to Tuscaloosa where we picked up 69 back to Jasper. @ Jasper we ate at Full Moon BBQ after  lunch Scott decided to head home since he was over 1/2 home. Now this is where our ride turned into a venture. Scott some how locked his key that opens his saddle bags & trunk in his saddle bag, luckily he had his ignition key(different key). His helmet was locked in the trunk. None of us had a spare helmet, so we were about 3/4 mile from walmart,so he decides he will go down there buy a helmet to get him home. As luck would have it they were OUT, so Scott buys a bicycle helmet, I think hs said it was a good choice until he ran into a rain storm. But he made it home and got his bags unlocked. All totaled I finished the day at 240 miles....my group didn't get wet ...  :) 

https://goo.gl/maps/xfbBtGspebS2   route we rode which has some of the best roads in the area.....
"keep the rubber side down"

sctparker

I'll ad in the past 50 years I had never put a bicycle helmet on my head that changed on this ride. Also the keys locked in the saddlebag also opened the gas cap I was 35 miles from home with what I thought was 3/8  tank of fuel. But after the ride down the 4 lane with no helmet with  4 other riders wearing their helmet ( they could have taken theirs off too so it didn't look so obvious I didn't have one) anyway as I leave the walmart parking lot sporting my bell  bicycle helmet , very light and lets the air flow quite well. I notice the fuel is really around 1/4 tank that should be 1 1/2 gallons to get home I get 27-28 miles to the gallon if I drive right  well apparently I can't drive right ,don't really get that mileage, the hills got me, or the gauge is off a bit. Anyway I come to a stop sign at cordova gorgas road and 269 and the bike dies and it's raining by the way those holes that were so good for air flow I think they act as funnels in the rain water ran down right down my neck and I think I actually got wet from the inside out . Put the fuel on reserve and was able to get it to restart now I'm 17 miles or so from home on reserve going to pass two gas station but that want do any good since I can't open the cap . Get to the turn in my neighborhood and there is some relief make 2 left  turns  I can see my house go to make a left turn and big bike stalling in a kinda hot  and tight right  turn raises the pucker factor but as I straighten it up to keep from droping it it catches back up , glad I had the backrest on I coasted into the garage and don't remember if I turned the switch off or if it dies on it's on, anyway I spent the next hour drilling out some bolts to remove the saddlebag lock (Thanks to Donnie I knew what worked and didn't work on getting a saddle bag opened) GREAT DAY

polarissalesman

well all I can say is, we didn't want to die or go to jail, I mean someone would have to make bail... lol ... Glad you came and glad you made it home safe n sound. ..
"keep the rubber side down"

mojo1

After seeing that it was cancelled, Shane and I ended up taking backroads from Fultondale to Berry and then up towards Hackleburg taken some of the roads you had planned on taken making our way to the Rattlesnake Saloon for lunch. Ended up with just a little over 400 miles for the day.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan