News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Garage Party at Hawks, Sat., Sep. 29

Started by hawkvtx, September 25, 2018, 05:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

hawkvtx

Wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here and over in Tech Talk but ... Just in case anyone is interested. A buddy of mine and I will be doing some work on my brother-in-laws Magna this Saturday at my place in Scottsboro AL. Drop by if you're in the neighborhood. We'll be replacing a rear brake master cylinder and fork seals for sure plus whatever other issues we may run into. Send me a PM or post up here if you might drop in and need any info.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Nice Goat

About what time are y'all getting started?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

hawkvtx

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Well we got through with the Magna...sorta. After a little trial and error on the right fork we got it apart and new seal and oil in it. The left one took only about 30 minutes since we knew what we were doing by then. The front brakes were seized and we got that taken care of too. Got the rear tire on and serviced the final drive. The part we got stumped on though was the rear brake master cylinder.  Not that it can't be fixed but I can't figure out for the life of me how to remove the old one. There's a connecting rod from the pedal that connects at a pivot point to the other rod that goes into the cylinder. At that pivot point the two separate rods are connected by a u-joint and a small pin that is held in place with a cotter pin. The pin has to be removed in order to separate the two rods and remove and replace the master cylinder. Easy enough right? Well no. Mother Honda in all her engineering wisdom decided that little pin should be right up against the collector for the exhaust system. Thus not allowing any physical space to pull the little bugger out.  Google and YouTube searches yielded no advice.
So any current or previous Magna owners out there ever had to deal with this?  Is there any way to remove that pin without removing the entire exhaust system? Keep in mind there's a couple of reasons I didn't just pull the exhaust out. First, the exhaust on the Magna is fairly complicated and is not just a matter of loosening a couple of acorn nuts and second, all the bolts and nuts that are holding it in place are severely rusted. It's a 34 y/o bike so...ya know , it's got some rust.  There are only three things that can happen when dealing with rusty parts like that and two f them are bad. Hoping someone might have some suggestions.
Oh and I thought about cutting the pin off with my Dremel but again there's not enough space to get to it. I also didn't want to cut into the collector with the Dremel and create even more problems.  The bike itself is pretty solid for one that old.  It's ridable as long as you don't plan on using the rear brake. 
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

springer

Quote from: hawkvtx on October 02, 2018, 04:27:29 PM
Well we got through with the Magna...sorta. After a little trial and error on the right fork we got it apart and new seal and oil in it. The left one took only about 30 minutes since we knew what we were doing by then. The front brakes were seized and we got that taken care of too. Got the rear tire on and serviced the final drive. The part we got stumped on though was the rear brake master cylinder.  Not that it can't be fixed but I can't figure out for the life of me how to remove the old one. There's a connecting rod from the pedal that connects at a pivot point to the other rod that goes into the cylinder. At that pivot point the two separate rods are connected by a u-joint and a small pin that is held in place with a cotter pin. The pin has to be removed in order to separate the two rods and remove and replace the master cylinder. Easy enough right? Well no. Mother Honda in all her engineering wisdom decided that little pin should be right up against the collector for the exhaust system. Thus not allowing any physical space to pull the little bugger out.  Google and YouTube searches yielded no advice.
So any current or previous Magna owners out there ever had to deal with this?  Is there any way to remove that pin without removing the entire exhaust system? Keep in mind there's a couple of reasons I didn't just pull the exhaust out. First, the exhaust on the Magna is fairly complicated and is not just a matter of loosening a couple of acorn nuts and second, all the bolts and nuts that are holding it in place are severely rusted. It's a 34 y/o bike so...ya know , it's got some rust.  There are only three things that can happen when dealing with rusty parts like that and two f them are bad. Hoping someone might have some suggestions.
Oh and I thought about cutting the pin off with my Dremel but again there's not enough space to get to it. I also didn't want to cut into the collector with the Dremel and create even more problems.  The bike itself is pretty solid for one that old.  It's ridable as long as you don't plan on using the rear brake.
For the rusted parts try Aero Kroil;
https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538516272&sr=8-3&keywords=aero+kroil+penetrating+spray
That stuff is amazing.
For Phillips head screws, bolts remember the Japanese Phillips head is really a cross head and is different than our Phillips head. They look about the same to the naked eye but you can strip the head very easily using an American Phillips screwdriver.
https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-3rd/dp/B00A7WAHTU

The reason for all that /\ is from what I have been told, removing the exhaust might be a pain but for some jobs on the Magna, it is the only way.

Something else I have found useful for rusted bolts is this;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F5XOFFM?aaxitk=kzaqjrwqu4U171HsorOdYw&pd_rd_i=B01F5XOFFM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=54dc821a-0937-4e6f-9da9-f8dd5443145d&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=impact+driver&hsa_cr_id=9892671770101&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F91OCH79I-4L.jpg&sb-ci-a=B01F5XOFFM

You will have to find a  Japanese Cross Head bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Impact-Screwdriver-Vessel-Heavy-Japan/dp/B077CCVMDD/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1538517443&sr=1-5&keywords=JIS+cross+point+bit 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: hawkvtx on October 02, 2018, 04:27:29 PM

how about a picture of this wonderful point of interest?
just give 'er the berries !

hawkvtx

Quote from: kylepeterson on October 02, 2018, 08:13:33 PM
how about a picture of this wonderful point of interest?

this is the little bugger

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500