News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Mid-Week Dragon / Tellico Trip

Started by KevinB, October 28, 2018, 06:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

I took off work last week and talked a couple of buds into heading to the mountains.

Both were virgins to the area and wanted to ride The Dragon in addition to dual-sporting, so Tim and I hauled our street bikes along with our dirt bikes (Tim's 1290 Super Adventure is more of a "Beast" than "dirt" bike), while Ben followed us up on his GSA 1200.

We rented cabins at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground.

We arrived just after lunch on Tuesday and decided to go ahead and make a loop to The Dragon.

Showing the love at the Overlook...

The BBQ place in Tellico is now a pizza place. It didn't disappoint...

KevinB

Day 2 was spent riding Witt Rd., checking out the power station, climbing to Buck Bald, and then Bald River Falls after a late lunch.

Checking out the ruins and door to nowhere...

Enjoying the view on Buck Bald...

I don't think we were supposed to ride all the way up, but judging by the amount of graffiti and empty beer cans/bottles scattered about...we inflicted much less damage than the locals.

Back to Tellico for a late lunch at the TelliCafe. I had the hot open face turkey sandwich, and it was awesome.

One bike, one beast, one behemoth...

I had planned on visiting Bald River Falls the next day on our way toward FS81, but we had some daylight left so we headed on over.

I walked down toward the river to find a spot to pee and discovered a perfect spot for a photo...

Gazers!

Finished off a great day of riding with some beer and campfire

KevinB

Day 3 consisted of riding the area of River Rd., Whigg Meadow, FS81 and the Skyway.

We picked up another rider that had pulled into camp the night before with his Beta 390. Stephen(I think it was?) from Indiana decided to tag along with us for the day.

We got lost trying to find Tower Rd. and saw a man and woman cutting wood on the side of the road. We stopped and asked directions...the female saw our license plates and asked "Y'all know Ken Trull?" Small world...turned out to be @kdtrull 's aunt.

I had never been to the tower, and was expecting it to be a fire tower. Turned out to be a cell tower, and with the leaves still in the trees there wasn't a view. (No pics)

So we continued on...

...and made our way to Whigg Meadow. It was deserted and there were no signs, so we rode to the top.

Ben split off to head home and hopefully beat most of the rain that was forecasted. Stephen turned toward camp for an insulin shot, and Tim and I rode FS81 toward Robbinsville. Once we hit the Skyway at Joyce Kilmer, this guy pulled up to ask directions...the sound this car made was incredible.

McLaren 720S

Tim and I did a late lunch in Robbinsville, then rode FS81 back to the Skyway to Tellico.

We had planned to stay one more night and load up the next morning, but the forecast showed rain moving in that evening and intensifying overnight. We arrived back at the campground just in time to get the bikes loaded before the rain started.

Credit to @bnsutton for some of the photos.

lazeebum

Wayne and Kelly really know how to make you feel welcome. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Fencejumper09

Man I really need to ride up in this area!

Watch out for those meat-gazers!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

bnsutton

We were looking at the waterfall when we heard a laugh and looked down....there was Kev, with a camera in one hand and what may have been a raison in the other.....and a old lady giggling nearby so ......
Seriously though, one of the best trips I've ever done. Kevin did his normal magic and knew where to go. Can't wait to go back.

klaviator

Looks like ya'll had a great time.  Thanks for posting this report.  It reminds me I need to go back up to that area more in the future.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."