News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A busy Veterans Day weekend with NAVMCC

Started by ctag, November 11, 2018, 10:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctag

Hi!

First of all, I wish you a well Veterans Day today. It's shaping up to be a beautiful but chilly one here in Huntsville.

Yesterday the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club had a special variant on the usual Saturday breakfast get-together. We congregated in a larger area of the restaurant that was outfitted with a projector. Marc and RJ started us off with some words about the holiday and our day's activities, and then as breakfast was served we launched into a fantastic informational presentation Marc prepared for us that featured some familiar faces. To those in NAVMCC and out in our community who have served: thank you.

Mrs. Genevieve Cook then took the floor, and spoke to us about the Motor Maids - a womens' motorcycling organization. I had never heard of them before, and I have to say it's fascinating. The Motor Maids were founded back in the 1940s by Dot Robinson and Linda Dugeau to promote safe riding practices and a sense of community for women who owned and rode motorcycles. Mrs. Cook has been with the group in Alabama since the very start, when there were only two Alabama members. Alabama is now home to more than 60 Motor Maids, and there are over 1,200 nationwide! A friend of mine in Atlanta recently told me she wanted to learn to ride and get a motorcycle; I'm looking forward to passing along news of this organization to her.

Pictures from breakfast (Some taken by Marc. Thanks Marc!):

There was a little downtime between breakfast and visiting Tut Fann Veterans Home, so I bebopped down to Cycle Gear and picked up some glove liners and longjohns. I returned just in time to go with a group to Huntsville's veterans' memorial. I have never actually been *to* the memorial before, and was glad for the opportunity to walk through it and read. I didn't take any pictures.

We found Tut Fann to be pretty busy, as it looked like a few other groups were visiting on the same day. With some guidance we quickly broke into groups and went to serve veterans lunch and chat for a while. I got to speak with Charlie (Charles?), Mr. NB, and Mr. Kirkland. I was pretty apprehensive about making conversation, but we wound up having a decent talk, and Mr. Kirkland told me all about his adventures working at a hospital in Mississippi and then managing a lumber company in Alabama. I definitely think our club should return sometime when there isn't a holiday to spur the visit, and was glad to see some other members discuss that very plan separately.

Some additional pictures:

I'm still in the "What does this setting do?" and "How does this arrangement look?" but I have some raw footage of some riding segments. There's no reason to see this, but here it is anyway:

And a test from later that night with a timelapse mode, which is a little interesting: https://youtu.be/IlbzGt6z24M

renchinrider

Thanks for sharing the story of our great Veterans Day Event, CTAG!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!