News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Hacks (sidecars)

Started by 2372ighost, December 01, 2018, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moto Guzzi

Yeah, not too happy with that response.  The person I spoke with last Saturday was not there today.  Maybe he has better info than the person I talked to and will be able to give a better update on Tuesday. 

renchinrider

So glad to hear that YOU are safe and sound, and hate it about the bike.  Sounds like several valuable pieces of information may come out of all this:

1.  Overall durability and reparability of the motorcycle (I'm very curious, as I have a great interest in Urals!)

2.  Overall quality and dedication of Guntersville Powersports

3.  Overall quality and dedication of your and Ms. Happytexter's insurance companies

Hopefully, all three will be positive and encouraging!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Moto Guzzi

Quote from: renchinrider on January 20, 2019, 11:54:30 AM
So glad to hear that YOU are safe and sound, and hate it about the bike.  Sounds like several valuable pieces of information may come out of all this:

1.  Overall durability and reparability of the motorcycle (I'm very curious, as I have a great interest in Urals!)

2.  Overall quality and dedication of Guntersville Powersports

3.  Overall quality and dedication of your and Ms. Happytexter's insurance companies

Hopefully, all three will be positive and encouraging!

Thanks, yes it could have been a lot worse no doubt. 

A Ural is a Ural  :D  I've only had mine for 10 months but it has been great so far.  Soviet Steeds Forum is full of good information on them.  Yes, there are sometimes issues, even with the new ones, but I would buy another one without hesitation. Aside from the  bent up sheet metal on the sidecar, the main question is whether the frame is tweaked or not.  Of course I hope it can be repaired and not totaled.

As for Guntersville Powersports, mixed feelings so far.  I've been dealing with them since last July to get a wheel replaced due to cracks in the aluminum rim.  Supposed to be here soon after a parts delay with imz-ural (US Importer).  Been lots of fingerpointing  between the 2 with me in the middle about the wheel. And now with the previously mentioned response regarding the accident damage I'd say the jury is still out.  Really nice folks though.  Old school low key dealership.   How it works out remains to be seen.  I will call again on Tuesday to see what the status is.

The owner of the car that Happytexter was driving has the same insurance company that I have, so no worries there.

renchinrider

I looked at the Urals Blue Moon Cycles had on display at Barber Vintage Fest, and I really like the nostalgic styling and seemingly bullet-proof engineering...  Maybe one day... ::)
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

2372ighost

I did my first ride on my patrol today that didn't involve a maintenance/alignment test run since purchase. I rode 65mi, only stopping twice to adjust tug brake. The route was all secondary country roads and no traffic.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Scooter

Outstanding! Your rig looks great and your pic's are too.. i think I have already stated this, but I really enjoy playing with my rig. I still ride my two wheeler (Triumph)'more, but look for opportunities to get the rig out and go.
Scooter

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

2372ighost

I think we're going to have to have a hack get together when there's consistent weather. I managed 61mi today.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Scooter

Moto Guzzi, any news on your rig? Being repaired to your satisfaction?
Scooter

Moto Guzzi

Not really. Last Friday when I checked in the person they use for paint and bodywork had determined he could fix the sidecar. LGP could not give an estimated time for the repairs to be completed.

I usually call on Friday for a weekly update. If there is anything new tomorrow I will pass it along.

Saturday will mark 1 month that LGP has had my rig.

Scooter

Surely not what I was hoping to hear. Sadly, not a lot you can do but wait it out and hope for best outcome. If not then lawyer time, no one can put up much arguement, when you were hit from behind!
Scooter

Moto Guzzi

I didn't get a chance to call the dealer last week, but I called today.  My Ural has been picked up and taken to the shop that will be doing the bodywork and paint.  The replacement rim I have been working on getting since last July (separate issue, not from the accident) has arrived and is being taken care of too.  Things are looking good at this point.  Hope to be Uraling again soon!

Moto Guzzi

Went up to Guntersville today and picked up my Ural.  Although it took entirely too long, I am satisfied with the repairs.  While it was there the dealer also laced up the replacement rim for my spare wheel, so I now have a usable spare. 

Scooter

It did take a long time, but if you are happy with the repair, that's all that really matters. It not like there is a lot of folks out there to work on these things, much less understand them. Once the unknowing starts to loosen things up for removal, most won't understand what all is effected from a handling standpoint. Just simple tire pressure changes makes a lot of difference in tracking properly.
Glad you got it back and more so that you weren't hurt in the accident!
Scooter

Moto Guzzi

Very true.  The dealer told me had a hard time finding some one to do the repairs, all the local paint and body shops declined the job.  He ended up taking to an old school car restoration guy he knew. 

Scooter

And you most likely got a better repair too! Most of those guys are more qualified to work on anything, since they aren't specialized in only one brand!
Scooter