News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Video Editing - whatcha got ?

Started by kylepeterson, February 25, 2019, 09:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylepeterson

I updated from an old xeon server for my video hackintosh to a newer (not new!) i5 workstation.

The main reason was to edit 4k video the new gopro is capable of.

In the process I lost a lot of love for Final Cut Pro and started looking around for more powerful / feature packed editing suites.

I will -not- pay a subscription every month, for any type of software. :-)

What I've found so far that I don't hate is:

Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve. It's free and has a client for mac, winders, and linux, so that's really nice.

I'm also looking at Blender, but man it's complicated !  I want to use blender after DResolve for adding 3d flying / tracking effects in post-post production.

Sooooo, I'm curious, what are you using for stitching your incredibly boring clips of motorcycles going putta putta into way-too-long videos ?

sidenote:
thanks to @jrou111 , I tried 2.7K @ 60FPS for one recording session. mannnnn, that looks gooooood for faster moving sections of woods riding. file sizes aren't insane either.

favorite woods setting:
2.7K @ 60FPS with superview enabled, FLAT color profile, and stability enabled

slower motion, views, parking lot shots, people:
4k @ 24FPS (ya, i know, that's a LOW fps) with gopro color profile (a little warmer than I like, but it punches up the color nicely) makes sunsets and people look very natural.

1080p @120FPS or @240FPS:
slow motion trickery looks great at 120 fps, but 240 fps is even smoother. must have BRIGHT lighting conditions to make this look good. think "full sunny day" or "blinding stadium lights in the bedroom" or else it will look like a shadowy mush instead of slowmo awesomeness.

I'm using my old hero2 (that was lost in the woods for a year), the new hero6black, akaso brave 4 (I'll leave this one tied to a tree to catch stuff that shouldn't happen in public), and soon shepcam's session 4 ... to get a bunch of angles in north georgia coming soon.

tell me what you're doing. I know we have a few video gurus here ... spill it !
just give 'er the berries !

yamahamer

I use an older version of Sony Vegas that Don set up for me.
I like it a lot, easy to navigate and free.
Not sure if it's 4K or not?

kylepeterson

Quote from: yamahamer on February 25, 2019, 11:44:19 AM
I use an older version of Sony Vegas that Don set up for me.
I like it a lot, easy to navigate and free.
Not sure if it's 4K or not?

that's the one dirttytrixx was talking about years ago. cool, imma hafta check it out. thanks mark !

jrobinson

I use Cyberlink. I think you can dl a trail version and purchase for around $100.

jrou111

I've used Adobe Premiere for almost 20 years now.  ???

Gam

Quote from: jrou111 on February 25, 2019, 08:42:54 PM
I've used Adobe Premiere for almost 20 years now.  ???

That's what I used for a long time, until I lost interest in video.  I have adobe creative cloud to get lightroom and photoshop and now I  have a bunch of go pro footage that I didn't shoot and need to edit.  I figured Premier would be included in Creative Cloud but but it's not.  I think I lost interest in video when audio copyright algorithms came along.

springer

Quote from: Gam on February 26, 2019, 04:21:02 PM
That's what I used for a long time, until I lost interest in video.  I have adobe creative cloud to get lightroom and photoshop and now I  have a bunch of go pro footage that I didn't shoot and need to edit.  I figured Premier would be included in Creative Cloud but but it's not.  I think I lost interest in video when audio copyright algorithms came along.
There are lots of music that you can use for free. Youtube has updated and increased their music library and has some good songs.  Local musicians who right their own stuff are a good place to check too. Just go to a local bar with live music and listen.  You can also look for music at blues/jazz/rock festivals. Memphis Tenn has a huge music festival on Beale St every year.
https://10times.com/music-festival-memphis

A big bonus, The Beale St festival is a blast. You can also go there anytime and you can find bands playing on the street and most will have digital files you can get for next to nothing.

I no longer drink alcohol but I still go to the bars around Bham every once in awhile to hear music.  ;) The south has a lot of good music and singers. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Gam on February 26, 2019, 04:21:02 PM

ditto that about the music copyrighting mess. the music industry -could- have turned it into a contest to see who could embody the songs the best... rewarded them for their efforts... but instead they got pissy and took their ball home. fine, we'll play a different game, and never buy from them again. no biggie. hope they're liking the pittance they get from streaming services now ;-)

springer

I do not do video much anymore...or photos. Not because of music copyright stuff, I have a fairly good selection of music done by artiest from the southeastern U.S. who do not mind if their music gets used in ride videos, they just want to get it out to be heard. You can take a weekend off and head up to Beale St in Tennessee to find them, music festivals are another good place  or just local bars/jute joints. I haven't been to Gibb's jute joint in Bessemer in awhile but that is another good place. There are a pretty good amount of bands that have self recordings they will sell. I use music mostly because I can not stand that blogging type style. When I am watching a video I do not want to hear about your problems, what you think is wrong/right in the world, how you would do this or that differently, or anything else for that matter. It takes away from the video for me. Watching videos is for me an escape from my stuff thats going on. I do not need to be dragged into your stuff.  ;) 

I do not do video much anymore because I do need a new computer...one that can handle the work-load of editing, rendering, and production of the video. I also need a good editing program that I can buy for a 1 time fee without a monthly, every 6 month, or yearly fee to use. I have 0% interest in storing anything on a "cloud" storage facility.

Any-who, that is my 2 cents on it..take it for what it is worth.  :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.