News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Quick Weekend To The Mountains

Started by KevinB, April 01, 2019, 09:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

Got invited to tag along with @speedfire and @mojo1 for a weekend street ride to the mountains. We remembered at the last minute that Moto Madness was going on in Tellico and not really wanting to join the crowds, we decided to keep ourselves just south.

We booked a couple of rooms in Blairsville, GA for the weekend and headed up on Friday. We arrived early enough that we decided to go on up to Tellico to see how the MMM crowd was coming along and check out Bald River Falls.

The goal was also to hit some roads and sites that we hadn't ridden or seen before on previous trips.

We wound up checking out Hiawassee Dam on Friday and Bell Mountain in Georgia on Saturday (along with some awesome new-to-us twisty roads).

The weather was picture perfect on Friday and Saturday (if a little slow to warm up in Friday),  which made for a rude awakening on Sunday. Temp started @39 degrees when leaving Blairsville and dropped to 33 while crossing the mountain on 52 between Ellijay and Chatsworth. I had my heated jacket liner, but it didn't seem to help. Despite rising to around 50 degrees later on, I never seemed to lose the chill.

Total mileage for the weekend was almost 900.

Didn't take many pics, here's the few I captured...

KevinB

Thanks to @jrou111  for the tip on Bell Mountain...none of us had been there or even knew about it. The road up is narrow and pretty steep (and apparently it's only been paved for a couple of years), but the view at the top is spectacular.

klaviator

Looks like a fun weekend....except for Sunday.  I need to go check out Bell Mountain.

KevinB

Shane hiked to the top of the rock peak and got a shot of the parking lot (and view).

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332