News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Suzuki dr125

Started by thinwater, April 15, 2019, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinwater

I'm interested in finding a Suzuki dr125 for my daughter to learn on and eventually street ride.  So far seems to be an elusive for sale item.  I'm keeping watch on FB marketplace, craigslist, and Ebay.  Her Birthday is in June so that is the goal.  I you have one that selling wasn't a thought until you read this, I'd like to start a conversation with you and see if we could work something out.

TWJohn

I have seen a couple Dr200's on marketplace recently. The power difference should be no big deal.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

KevinB

@Nice Goat bought a DR200 as a starter bike for his daughter and could probably give some insight to it's suitability.

Nice Goat

For my daughter, the biggest issue was the weight.  The DR125 is a heavy bike compared to the KLX140 or CRF125.  She got more out of the maintenance and rebuild than from actually riding it. 

Since I bought her a new KLX140, she has much more confidence.

http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2982.0
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

thinwater

klx and crf are great but don't have blinkers or are there options that I do not see.  Did whoever wound up with your DR125 maybe get finished with it by chance?  I've looked at the Kymco but don't like that it shifts backwards and doesn't require clutch to shift.  That makes for bad transition after learning.

Nice Goat

That's true but you can add blinkers/horn/etc. to anything and get it tagged.  You didn't say how old or what size your daughter is, but if you are looking for something already street legal, you might also look for a DR200.  Same frame and many common parts with the DR125.  Basically the same weight also and much newer.

For just a little more money, you could look at the KLX250.  Nobody ever accused it of being over-powered.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Sweeper

Alabama has a 150cc limit for any riders under 16. I found this out after I bought a crf230l. There aren't many options. If you want to insure your child as a rider, you'll want to stay within the law on that. I ended up buying a Grom for a year or so and then selling it. Only cost me about $200 for the use.

thinwater

I know about the CC's and that would show up instantly on a tag run, according to Honda even the Grom breaks the weight restriction of 200lbs in that law.  I hate "for your own good" laws.

Quote from: Sweeper on April 16, 2019, 06:07:12 PM
Alabama has a 150cc limit for any riders under 16. I found this out after I bought a crf230l. There aren't many options. If you want to insure your child as a rider, you'll want to stay within the law on that. I ended up buying a Grom for a year or so and then selling it. Only cost me about $200 for the use.