News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KTM Dual Sports

Started by Nice Goat, May 06, 2019, 09:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Between Kevin & Glenn I'm salivating over this "coming soon" thread!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

rmcelroy

I gots me one of them there katoom dual sporty machines

Mulley

PSA: Summer is here y'all. If you're hot they're hot. Take care of your KTM Dual Sport and keep them cool.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Fencejumper09

Don't forget to drain them out after they cool down!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Gam

I parted ways with the KLR.  790 Adventure S with a high front fender, akropovik and Kenda Big Blocks. I was looking for an Adventure R, but you can't find one, but I am happy with this.

KevinB

kylepeterson

Quote from: Gam on August 24, 2019, 06:26:25 PM
I parted ways with the KLR.  790 Adventure S with a high front fender, akropovik and Kenda Big Blocks. I was looking for an Adventure R, but you can't find one, but I am happy with this.

just give 'er the berries !

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Nice Goat

Quote from: Gam on August 24, 2019, 06:26:25 PM

Very nice, Gam!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

LawnmowerRG

May have just picked up my next light weight dual sport. 2011 300 XC. She needs a little work. A few of you may recognize it.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Mulley

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on September 26, 2019, 04:47:05 PM
May have just picked up my next light weight dual sport. 2011 300 XC. She needs a little work. A few of you may recognize it.

Very cool and yet very sad. Is this the way Andy left it or has someone else had it?

LawnmowerRG

This is the way Andy left it, but someone else has had it. I did some horse trading to acquire it. I need to figure out why Andy took the motor apart. All I know is that it barely finished the last race he ran on it.
The plan is to Dual Sport it. Build your he motor for bottom end torque. I may swap in XC-W gears the transmission.

Mulley

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on September 27, 2019, 10:05:05 AM
This is the way Andy left it, but someone else has had it. I did some horse trading to acquire it. I need to figure out why Andy took the motor apart. All I know is that it barely finished the last race he ran on it.
The plan is to Dual Sport it. Build your he motor for bottom end torque. I may swap in XC-W gears the transmission.

XC gears are terrible for the street. Maybe you'll get lucky and it just needs a new piston. How does the cylinder look?

Also, I don't think the XC has a proper stator for running lights. You can get a Trailtech stator with new regulator/rectifier and go full DC system instead of split AC/DC system. I have one on my Beta 300, it works great and it's plug and play.

LawnmowerRG

So I have been looking. The only difference in the XC and XC-W according to the micro fish is one tooth in first and second gear. Then the final drive is different. I think I will just split the difference on the final drive ratios and leave it the same inside.
I havent found what was wrong with the motor yet but I have had time to really get into it.

Also the plan is to run a trail Tech stator and rectifier Or BaJa design. Haven't decided. Probably run a good LED head and tail light/blinkers. Maybe add a small rear rack. May go tubliss too.

kylepeterson

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on October 24, 2019, 04:15:30 PM
So I have been looking. The only difference in the XC and XC-W according to the micro fish is one tooth in first and second gear. Then the final drive is different. I think I will just split the difference on the final drive ratios and leave it the same inside.
I have found what was wrong with the motor yet but I have had time to really get into it.

Also the plan is to run a trail Tech stator and rectifier Or BaJa design. Haven't decided. Probably run a good LED head and tail light/blinkers. Maybe add a small rear rack. May go tubliss too.

it takes about five minutes to swap the front sprocket. i used to go 12/13/14/15 depending on what was coming up next and leave the rear alone. i think i used the 13 tooth the most with the kdx wide ratio trans, just got used to hitting the pipe around 50 mph and stayed below that if i could or got used to the smoke if i couldn't. the hard part were the vibrations. sweet my toes on fire from the vibes
just give 'er the berries !