News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KTM Dual Sports

Started by Nice Goat, May 06, 2019, 09:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Tobyone

Rode trail bikes when younger  Used to ride a KDX,XR   back in the 80's '90s    Now stuff like the Dirt Devil     I like 4 wheeler wide stuff  if I can find it and would do single track if it is easy  and my back is up to it (61).  I have short legs so that can be a problem for taller bikes    I have a BMW R1200R for street  so I haul the DR350 if it 30 min or more.   Mind says KTM, body says KLX250 probably     but  if that is case I could just keep riding the  DR 350  as long as I trust it.
R1200R
CRF450L

KevinB

I know the owner of that 450 and have ridden with him several times...he and I are like minded and skilled when it comes to riding. In addition to the lowering, he's installed a flywheel weight and a throttle tamer. It's a solid bike if it's what you're after.

Comfort wise, with an aftermarket seat there won't be much difference between the KTM and other 250 - 450 dual sports (KLX, DR350, etc.)

Mulley

I absolutely love my 15 KTM 500. It's really similar in stock form to the bike your are considering. Same frame and almost the same engine. I tend to ride more difficult terrain than a typical dual sport would be used for. Personally if I was not going to be riding hard and pushing the limits of the suspension I would oribebky get a bike that leaned a little more towards the street. That way you can enjoy the bike more and wrench less. There is a downside in that tise bikes tend to weigh more but that weight makes them more stable at highway speeds. Not the that a KTM 450/500 is unstable, they can blast down the interstate all day if you want. Something like a DR650 can be ridden farther with less rider fatigue. In stock form they are solid dual sports. The KTM in stock form as a badass dirtbike that has to be modified ie domesticated a little for long distance dualsporting but you end up with a really fun bike. Most factory dualsport a little bit boring in my opinion. The WR250R is widely considered one of the best but it is a little bit underpowered, same for CRF250L (which I feel is heavy and underpowered).

So you have to make choice.

1. Heavy DR650 or heavy and tall XR650L dual sport with good power that can soak up some miles

2. Lower displacement dualsport CRF250L or WR250R that have nice low seat heights but are a little lacking in power. They have long service intervals and are truly meant to be ridden in the street but aren't great at interstate.

3. KTM/Husky dualsport, which are really dirtbikes with tags

4. KTM 350 - that's a tough one to. It's basically the same size and weight as the 500 but feels lighter due to less rotating mass. It has less power but cost is about the same. You lose torque to gain a little maneuverability offroad. I believe the 500 is the better choice over this because of the torque which I has a huge fun factor and on paper should be better at highway speeds. For a less aggressive rider the 350 is probably better. Like I said, that's a tough one.

5. DRZ400S - I own one and I've had a ton of fun on it. However. It can't stack up to the KTM 500 in any category except price. You can spend double the MSRP trying to make it 75% as good as a 500. Sorry Dirty Dizzer, I'm moving on to the new hotness.

6. Honda CRF450L - this could be your answer except that they are fairly new and not cheap on the used market yet. They aren't as high strung as the KTM bikes. They have a longer service intervals, they are quiter, fairly comfortable and can do anything. You do give up some offroad capabilites and it weighs a little more. For me, these are a very desirable option if you can afford the higher price tag and don't need the extra performance provided by KTM 450/500.

I know there are others I didn't list. This are just the main players in modern bikes. Good luck with your choice. They are all good bikes. Each just is better at a different task. Be honest with yourself on how you plan to use it and you'll be fine.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

klaviator

As you know I recently bought a KLX250.  I'm very happy with it.  It's a true DUAL sport, not a dirt bike with lights.  The WR250 has better performance but I just liked the KLX better.  The CRF250L is a step down from the KLX IMO since it is heavier and doesn't have as good of a suspension.  I think the CRF has a slightly lower seat although that didn't matter to me. 

Johnny Tobyone

Thanks for the replies           
Grass is always greener.  Or  Oranger!!   Need to ride KTM just to get it off my mind I guess.   KLX351 ?
R1200R
CRF450L

Mulley

Quote from: klaviator on October 20, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
As you know I recently bought a KLX250.  I'm very happy with it.  It's a true DUAL sport, not a dirt bike with lights.  The WR250 has better performance but I just liked the KLX better.  The CRF250L is a step down from the KLX IMO since it is heavier and doesn't have as good of a suspension.  I think the CRF has a slightly lower seat although that didn't matter to me.

I don't have much first hand knowledge of the new KLX250 (fuel injected). Glad to know you are happy with it.

Are large gas tanks available now? I know that used to be a problem.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Gam

Quote from: Johnny Tobyone on October 20, 2020, 06:27:22 PM
Thanks for the replies           
Grass is always greener.  Or  Oranger!!   Need to ride KTM just to get it off my mind I guess.   KLX351 ?

Norton73 has a KLX 351, I got on it one day just to see the difference between it and my KLX 250, and the difference in power is significant.

norton73

Quote from: Mulley on October 21, 2020, 10:12:50 AM

I don't have much first hand knowledge of the new KLX250 (fuel injected). Glad to know you are happy with it.

Are large gas tanks available now? I know that used to be a problem.

Mine has an IMS 3 gallon tank on it. Not sure I would have spent the money just to get one more gallon, it came on the bike when I bought it.

IMS makes a tank with the same shape as mine, but with the fuel pump inside, I'm told it only holds 2.7 gallons.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Johnny Tobyone

Well I bought a CRF450L.   I like it so far but I will get it internally lowered. Tippy toes on the street with my 29" inseam.  Rode Flint creek .    Pretty smooth on the road   Fairly mild in the traction mode  Vortex was already on it.   I added a 3 gallon tank also
R1200R
CRF450L

Gam

I've been whining a good bit about my KTM 790..2 sets of warped rotors and it take three tries to start when cold. So KTM gave me a new front wheel, hub and all, apparently I'd squared off the front rim somewhat as well  :-X .. that wasn't causing the rotor problem, plenty of people have that issue with round rims.  I put a Boosterplug on it and it fires right up. I'm flatfooted on that bike at a red light, so I don't think an 890 Adventure R would be an issue, and it has a heavier crank and is supposed to be smoother off the bottom, no snatch off the bottom, the weight difference is negligible. Funny how your outlook can change :D

Johnny Tobyone

Guess I will try Red for awhile :)
R1200R
CRF450L

terryrussell1

Quote from: Johnny Tobyone on December 14, 2020, 09:08:03 AM
Guess I will try Red for awhile :)
Very nice

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

terryrussell1

Quote from: Johnny Tobyone on December 07, 2020, 07:59:54 PM
Well I bought a CRF450L.   I like it so far but I will get it internally lowered. Tippy toes on the street with my 29" inseam.  Rode Flint creek .    Pretty smooth on the road   Fairly mild in the traction mode  Vortex was already on it.   I added a 3 gallon tank also
I saw on the fs webpage flint Creek is closed bc of down trees. Any truth to this?

Johnny Tobyone

Quote from: terryrussell1 on December 14, 2020, 10:08:55 AM
I saw on the fs webpage flint Creek is closed bc of down trees. Any truth to this?

Flint creek Bankhead .. open (Thanksgiving weekend when i was there)     Kentuck in Talladega  was/is closed ?
R1200R
CRF450L

KevinB

So much for "KTM's are race motors...they don't hold up!".

https://m.facebook.com/groups/EXCFEPERFROMANCETECHTALK/permalink/803622453843775/