News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Well I did it...

Started by polarissalesman, May 02, 2019, 07:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

In 2012 I bought my 1st Yamaha Venture a 05 model that I went on to put 44,000 miles on... in 2014 I traded for a 2010 Venture that was bought new in 2014, when I got it it had 1500 miles on it, it now has over 56,000. I loved the Venture bikes in a little over 100,000 miles I have done nothing but change the oil, brake pads and regular maintenance. Today I ordered a Super Tenere. The crazy thing is I have never ridden one. But I cut my teeth riding enduro/dirt bikes. I guess this is close to making a full circle.

If you went from a cruiser/touring bike to adventure bike what is the MUST haves? What are your likes? dislikes?

The venture weighs in at a little over 1000lbs  the Tenere 475lbs, I"m not getting any younger and the Venture is like me not getting any lighter. They say change is good and helps keeps things fresh, I hope this is the case here. As soon as the bike arrives from California and I get it assembled I'll post pictures. :-\
"keep the rubber side down"

klaviator

I had a 83 Yamaha Venture which I rode for 10 years then replaced with a BMW R1100GS so I basically did what you are doing.  I really liked my Venture but the BMW was lighter, faster, handled better and was just as comfortable after I put a Corbin seat on it.  I think you will enjoy your Super Tenere.  I don't know how the stock seat is but if it isn't comfortable there are aftermarket seats available.  If it doesn't come with luggage then I'd get some.  Other than that just go ride and have fun.

polarissalesman

Win it doesn't come with luggage, but they are ordered ... just doing the aluminum saddlebags top load they are huge... As for the seat, I can see me doing a mod on it. I don't care for most of the aftermarket seats that I have sat on over the years,  we'll see how it goes

kylepeterson

Quote from: polarissalesman on May 02, 2019, 07:55:20 PM
In 2012 I bought my 1st Yamaha Venture a 05 model that I went on to put 44,000 miles on... in 2014 I traded for a 2010 Venture that was bought new in 2014, when I got it it had 1500 miles on it, it now has over 56,000. I loved the Venture bikes in a little over 100,000 miles I have done nothing but change the oil, brake pads and regular maintenance. Today I ordered a Super Tenere. The crazy thing is I have never ridden one. But I cut my teeth riding enduro/dirt bikes. I guess this is close to making a full circle.

If you went from a cruiser/touring bike to adventure bike what is the MUST haves? What are your likes? dislikes?

The venture weighs in at a little over 1000lbs  the Tenere 475lbs, I"m not getting any younger and the Venture is like me not getting any lighter. They say change is good and helps keeps things fresh, I hope this is the case here. As soon as the bike arrives from California and I get it assembled I'll post pictures. :-\

super ten's are really nice. silky transmission, yamaha reliability, and wheelies. :D
just give 'er the berries !

yamahamer

You will love it.
Former Venture owner myself now riding Tenere with no regrets.

It's no as cozy as the Venture but the ergos more than make up for it.
If you have a passenger, she won't be happy at first.  ::)

renchinrider

Quote from: yamahamer on May 03, 2019, 06:06:36 AM
You will love it.

It's no as cozy as the Venture but the ergos more than make up for it.

:D :D
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

polarissalesman

Quote from: yamahamer on May 03, 2019, 06:06:36 AM
You will love it.

Wife rides her own, she has a CanAm Spyder so no problems there ...

KevinB

Quote from: polarissalesman on May 02, 2019, 07:55:20 PM

Congrats on the new bike!

Just like any other bike, you'll wind up playing with various seats, windscreens, etc. to find your sweet spot. If you plan to do any type of off-pavement riding (even just dirt/gravel roads), I'd invest in some protection...skidplate and crash bars at a minimum.

TFancher

You know there's no rule against owning more than one bike,right?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

polarissalesman

Quote from: TFancher on May 03, 2019, 09:07:12 AM
You know there's no rule against owning more than one bike,right?

Yes, I know, BUT, I'm not one that will ride more than 1 bike unless I bought a dirt bike only...

polarissalesman

Looks like the Super Tenere will be in on the 14th.... I was hoping it would be here by this Friday, keeping my fingers crossed. ??? ::)

polarissalesman

The bike is Memphis, still says the 13th BUT, I"m keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in by Thursday....