News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

New to me DRZ400

Started by TWJohn, May 20, 2019, 08:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWJohn

The HD Sportster I had was allot of fun with good power but this trail or dual sport riding has bit me hard. I refuse to sell my TW200 so the Sportster had to go. I swapped for this DRZ400S. The Deal just happened to work out well. It needs a few things but runs well. As a Bonus it is blue/white, The same as my TW. DRZ The pinnacle of Dual Sports @kylepeterson  WOOOOOO
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

TWJohn

Good call. I remember hearing about that.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

Mulley

That's great. Blue is the fastest color too.

I will always have a special place in my heart for DRZs. I've had immeasurable amounts of fun on mine.

While you are going through it and prepping for all of the adventures to come, put some threadlocker on the stator bolts. It's a known problem and I destroyed my stator when one of the bolts loosened while I was deep in the woods.

Another problem is the countershaft sprocket becoming loose and leaking oil. There is a threadlocker fix for this too.

Otherwise, go out and enjoy.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

ktmer

What year was your sporster? I have mine for sale now.

kylepeterson

all those horror stories about bolts backing out and nuts falling off are true. drz's should come with loctite from the factory, but they don't !

do the loctite fixes, check your valves (as a baseline) and then check them again in a year or two. the 'free power mod' is needed for most bikes, as the drz stator is weak as a 2 dolla ho.

rev it ! it's ok to rev the dizzer, it likes it. rev the tits off it and make the happy bbbbbpppapapapapapap sound anytime you feel the need.

change the oil every 1,000 miles, to keep the stator from coaking up and burning itself into oblivion.

and ride it. drz's loooooove to have some miles on em. my old black dizzer has 50,000+ on it. the 'new' yeller one, who knows. i don't care how many miles a drz has, they're all the same. crappy, heavy, and a ton of fun :-)

congrats !
just give 'er the berries !

TWJohn

The Sportster was a 2004 1200. The only scary thing this DRZ had was a pretty good tick which turned out that the manual cam chain tensioner was loose. Once I snugged that it was all quiet and happy.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650