you never know When it's going to happen

Started by polarissalesman, May 20, 2019, 06:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

and you are never ready for it either. 8 days ago I was at the top of the world, I had just picked a brand new out  of the crate 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere and was intent to get as many miles as I could before our BIG trip to Gettysburg and back down the BRP. 206 miles later disaster strikes a car in front of me pulls over on the shoulder of the road and stops I slow down watching the driver and said ok they are stopping, there is no road to turn into, I down shift and start around and BAM the driver does a Uturn. Me and the bike slam into the drivers door running about 30+ mph over the top of the car and hood of the car I flew, the sudden stop was rather painful. Car 1 me 0. As I laid there and gathered myself I realized I had no broken bones that I could tell of. I managed to get up and check on the young lady who was so shook up she asked me which way I came from. That split second moment is all it took, I managed to turn the bike enough with her I hit her more of a glancing blow than tboning.... other than a very small fracture in my elbow ( I hit that dang thing every time I turn around) and a lot of sore places I am very fortunate to have walked away.  Lesson learned I will stop next time, you  know what they say about people who assume...Bikes can be replaced, and mine has been with a brand new 2018 Super Tenere... but no trip at this time...
"keep the rubber side down"

klaviator

In the words of Forest Gump:  "sometimes shit happens".  I probably would not have done anything different from what you did in that situation.  They looked like they were stopping.  Stopping in the middle of the road for no reason could have put you in danger from behind.   If you ride long enough something bad will almost certainly happen to you.  You can reduce the risk by being a good rider but you can't eliminate the risks. 

I'm glad you are OK but it sucks having to miss out on the trip.  I know you were looking forward to it. 

polarissalesman

"Stopping in the middle of the road for no reason could have put you in danger from behind"

Win I fear being hit from behind as bad as left turns in front of me :-\ ???. 

Sweeper

Glad to hear that you're ok! Maybe you are disaster proof now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guidedawg

Sorry for the setback, but grateful you were otherwise unharmed (with the exception of the @%$&! elbow, of course)

Moto Guzzi

Sorry to hear about the wreck Donny.  Glad you are relatively ok.  Hopefully you will mend up quick and can still go on your trip at a later date.

TWJohn

At least you went up a year. Glad your ok though.
2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

Mulley

That's some terrible luck. I'm glad to hear that you are mostly unharmed. That could have been much worse.

Did I read that correctly that you are getting a model year newer bike? That's pretty cool. Too bad you couldn't squeeze a 2019 out of them.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

ktmer

polarissalesman

Quote from: Mulley on May 21, 2019, 11:40:02 AM
That's some terrible luck. I'm glad to hear that you are mostly unharmed. That could have been much worse.

Did I read that correctly that you are getting a model year newer bike? That's pretty cool. Too bad you couldn't squeeze a 2019 out of them.

Well, me and the insurance went round and round b4 they saw things my way..I was pleased to get what I got ....

polarissalesman

here is bike I have now

KevinB

Glad it turned out OK (relative to the circumstances).

Careful with that new bike!  ;)

yamahamer