News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Views to ride participation ratio

Started by thinwater, August 23, 2020, 08:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinwater

To correctly set the tone, I want to get out first that this is just an observation opinion for discussion.  There is no ill will or aggrevation whatsoever.  Since tone and intent can get lost in reading without hearing a voice, I wanted to clear the air first to hopefully avoid missunderstandings.  This is purely just what I've noticed, and invite others obersvations to comment. 

Lurkers, I've noticed on another forum that it takes about 100 views on average to get someone viewing that has a comment and are willing to post it.  On that same forum it takes about 20 views per like.  Here the ratio is different because there are less viewers.  However, the people that hit the like button, and that comment here seem to be about the same 10ish people.  What do you think the ratio is on MotorcycleAlabama of views to ride participation?

On this past Saturday 08/22/2020, i had a dualsport ride posted. Because of an accidental pre-ride and standard awesome ride report by @klaviator I thought there would be about 5-8 show up. There were 73 views, only 3 likes, and no-one showed up besides the newbie that requested someone ride with him and show him around, and Klaviator who was in no the accidental pre-ride.  Both of those were in on the planning.  What I like about the like button is knowing who saw the post and knowing that person is at least aware of the ride.

The year or so I"ve been on this forum, I've come to know a couple of people pretty well.  There are a handfull of people I've met that I know a little less but like them being at a ride I attend.  Hopefully some of the others I'll get a chance to know better from future happenings.

Granted there was only about a 3 day notice on the last ride posted, but with no other rides happening in the recent past I thought there would be people jumping at a chance to ride.  Participation really didn't affect my personal fun on the ride, I had just as much fun with the two others and got the chance to focus interact and learn more personally about the smaller crew which I really prefer.  There were riders that I knew would be there if they hadn't had bikes down at the time, and I'm sure others that already had their Saturday dedicated to something else, but not much forum notification of those.   

Facebook as a platform is killing forums like the internet news sites are killing the newspaper, I know there is a Facebook forum about dualsporting in this region.  One or two of them showed up a couple of dualsport rides ago when someone on FB saw a guy asking if there were any rides and he was link pointed to check out this forumn.  Not many rides have been posted on that FB group as my wife notifies me when something is going on over there.

Sorry for the long original post but to wrap this up.... How many days ahead should a ride (not event) be planned for adequate chance at participation?  How many lurkers do you think never ackowledge who they are with a like, nor comment, nor show up for a ride on this forumn?  What do you think the ride participation to view ratio is on the average?

norton73

I think there's several things at work here this summer. The corona virus probably has less people willing to go for a long ride, especially with people they don't know well. Stopping for lunch can be an issue for the same reason. For most that use the forums to ride, socializing and getting to know the people you are riding with is important.

Summer heat keeps me off the bike(s) in July and August. Other's may feel the same. Once the weather cools some, I suspect and hope that participation will increase.

Yeah, there's bunch of us that are lurking and only participating virtually right now.

I would have liked to ride with y'all yesterday, and considered it right after you posted inspite of it being two hours just to get to the meeting place. I'd like to get up there and ride that area some more.

Unfortunately, I'm having a health issue that keeps recurring this summer. If it wasn't for the corona virus, it probably would be fixed, but getting in to see a doctor live has been an issue. And of course, it flared back up Thursday, so no riding for me this weekend when it looked like it was gonna be a nice one.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Nice Goat

I think the comment about Facebook is correct.  We used to have a lot of active members on this forum who refused to sign up for Facebook.  Then we had technical problems with the forum and behavioral problems with some members at the same time.  A lot of forum members ended up joining FB and forming their own groups.  Add to that the fact that posting events and photos is a lot easier on FB.  Our numbers have been declining ever since.  This year we can add Covid-19 as a reason for further decline.  It makes me sad, because we used to have a good thing.  Very few people remain who are willing to work towards the success of this forum.  Everybody is off doing their own thing now.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Some things to keep in mind.  This ride was posted on ADV as well as here so it's not just this forum.

Sometimes its just a matter of bad timing.  Maybe a week earlier or a week later and we would have had more people.

We have never really had that much dual sport activity around here on this forum.  That was more down in the B'ham area. 

I wouldn't give up on it yet.  I still think that a forum is a much better place to plan motorcycle rides than FB is although not everyone will agree with me there.  I just don't think there is that much of a dual sport presence here in far North Alabama.  I know a few people who sold their dual sport bikes because they couldn't find anyone to ride with. 

We can change that with some effort but it won't happen overnight.

klaviator

On the number of views a thread gets.  That is not the same as the number of people who viewed it.  Often one person views it multiple times. 

2372ighost

I admit I didn't see the post. I drift in and out of MA since there has been a drop in participation. I would have liked to have made that ride, but I'm 1:40 away via interstate, and a 3 day notice Is tough. My dual sport rides are at a different location and it takes some planning and scheduling to make it happen. I'll try and be more vigilant, your rides up there are very interesting.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Moto Guzzi

Having recently acquired a 2019 Himalayan I am keen to get in on some of these small bore rides.  Work claimed last Saturday unexpectedly but I will join in on one soon!

thinwater

Quote from: klaviator on August 23, 2020, 01:01:13 PM
I wouldn't give up on it yet.  I still think that a forum is a much better place to plan motorcycle rides than FB is although not everyone will agree with me there.  I just don't think there is that much of a dual sport presence here in far North Alabama.  I know a few people who sold their dual sport bikes because they couldn't find anyone to ride with. 

We can change that with some effort but it won't happen overnight.

I agree a forum is a better place to plan without such unwanted data mining.  I'm not giving up I plan to ride for myself and sometimes post when I'm going if someone wants to go.  Usually if someone is going with me I'll try to show them something I think they would enjoy.  If I'm by myself I like to explore the unknown on the way out and work in what I know is near on the way back.

klaviator

Sometimes I really enjoy riding by myself, especially if I am exploring or want to take a bunch of pics but I really like riding with a group.  For that reason I set up and lead a bunch of rides.  It is nice to sometimes be able to follow instead of leading.  The last couple of rides in Limestone County & TN were really nice because I could just follow along.  I also find I tend to take a lot more pics if I am not leading.

This up coming Saturday might be a good day for a ride...........Hint, hint!

Sweeper

I check in here almost every day in hopes of finding a ride. I was off this weekend in Maggie Valley with a group that I know from another forum. We all stay in touch more now via FB because most of them have changed bikes and moved on. The difficulty of downloading and sharing pics also makes FB work better for most. I often think that I'll start posting more here but life just gets in the way. To those of you who post, lead, and just generally keep this place going, THANK YOU!

thinwater

Quote from: Sweeper on August 25, 2020, 12:01:47 PM
I check in here almost every day in hopes of finding a ride. I was off this weekend in Maggie Valley with a group that I know from another forum. We all stay in touch more now via FB because most of them have changed bikes and moved on. The difficulty of downloading and sharing pics also makes FB work better for most. I often think that I'll start posting more here but life just gets in the way. To those of you who post, lead, and just generally keep this place going, THANK YOU!
I didn't know where you were at the time, but thought you would be there if you were around.  What is your two wheeled odometer for the year at this point, or do you keep up with it?

Sweeper

I don't keep up because it isn't nearly enough. Hope to see you guys soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LawnmowerRG

Personally I have been slammed with work the last couple years. Especially the last 7 months.
I was riding with the Dixie Abate group up in Little River canyon last weekend. I also haven't ridden much this year that wasn't solo. I'm hoping that changes will this fall.

I think history on the forum has hurt MA. I think Facebook hurts too. The Rona has hurt for sure.

I don't know how to fix it. All I know to do is to keep on keeping on and hope things come back. If they don't I guess I will figure it out.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

thinwater

I don't know the history and don't want to.  I like what I found a year ago-ish when @klaviator pointed me this way for local stuff from a larger forum.

klaviator

Although things have been really slow, when I post up a local ride I also post it on ADV.  I get a lot more responses on this forum.