News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

So you're planning a ride...

Started by Chitza, October 14, 2015, 08:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

BamaRides is approaching a decade of providing riders with a wealth of information on motorcycling in the state of Alabama. Primarily, we want you to RIDE. With riding, we all understand there is an inherent danger. In those unfortunate times, preparation is essential to the most positive outcome. Knowing our fellow riders is not enough. We need to know who to contact and any other pertinent information to ensure the best care for an injured rider.

Best practice suggests we have that information readily available for first responders in an emergency. As a ride leader, you are in a unique position to ensure that information is available when needed. 

There are many ways to have information available and certainly the responsibility for this falls to the rider.  Here are some options:
1. http://www.theicedevice.com/
A keychain bobble that stores a sheet of paper with important information 

2. Setting the emergency contact on your phone
http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=354.msg2677#new

3. A simple piece of paper in your wallet.

But as a ride leader in an emergency situation, you may find that your rider is not prepared.

There are many things to consider when preparing for this situation. Knowing your rider and his/her phone number is not enough. Do you know your rider's significant other's phone number?  What if they are riding two up? Who is the alternate contact? Even if your rider has his emergency information on him it may not be accessible. A wallet or phone can be lost or destroyed in a crash. It may be in a pocket that can't be reached due to rider injury.

Gathering this information before a ride can save precious time in the event you NEED it. Index cards are an inexpensive easy alternative for pre-ride prep. Have your rider fill out one for you to keep with you and one for their own wallet if they do not already have a plan. Information should include their name, forum name, emergency contact, and backup contact. Pertinent medical information and medication that may impact care can be added as well. However, this may raise health information privacy concerns and would be at the rider's discretion. If a rider shares this information(as well as their personal contact info) please treat it with respect and privacy.

Alternately, you can have your riders send you a PM, email or text prior to the ride with their contact information. With smart phones this can easily be done at the pre-ride meeting.

Keeping a note or document on your phone with your most frequent riding buddies' information is also good practice.

There is also a smartphone app called TeamSnap that you can use with your usual riding buddies that allows members to enter their personal information into your group profile. There is a calendar for events/rides where you can post that you are attending.

www.teamsnap.com

You can't force anyone to comply with any method. At which point it is your prerogative as the ride leader to ask them not to ride with you or accept that you have done what you can and ride on.

No one wants to be in a situation where you have to use this info, but being in the situation and feeling helpless is worse.

Choose what works best for you as a ride leader. Make sure someone else on the ride has the info or knows where to find it.

And RIDE!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Ryanbroome

What about the ride leader? They should give out their information to the other riders also. Accidents happen to all of us. I feel like everyone should have information on everyone. Which means you have 20 riders on one ride then everyone has 19 cards they are carrying with them. One for each person.
What if Bamarides had a spot on the site that was just for "members" that held all our emergency contact information? If you are a member and logged in, you can simply go the Emergency Contacts section and find information on your fellow riders. Anyone with a phone can access the site and gather the info on any rider. It would at least have your user name, what bike or bikes you ride, your emergency contact info, and whatever extra you feel like adding on there. This way would seem to be a little easier then some people having an app, some bringing some index cards, and others with using their iphone.

Just an idea.

Chitza

Good idea on the ride leader sharing his/her info with the riders.

The idea of a database of info has been tossed around. Many folks are hesitant to share personal information with a group of people. There is always the possibility of abuse. Allowing each ride leader to choose how they will handle it allows folks to maintain whatever level of privacy they want.

We may consider a database that is accessible just to the moderators if members are interested in that option. One or more of us are available most of the time.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Mulley

Quote from: Ryanbroome on October 15, 2015, 10:18:19 AM
What about the ride leader? They should give out their information to the other riders also. Accidents happen to all of us. I feel like everyone should have information on everyone. Which means you have 20 riders on one ride then everyone has 19 cards they are carrying with them. One for each person.
What if Bamarides had a spot on the site that was just for "members" that held all our emergency contact information? If you are a member and logged in, you can simply go the Emergency Contacts section and find information on your fellow riders. Anyone with a phone can access the site and gather the info on any rider. It would at least have your user name, what bike or bikes you ride, your emergency contact info, and whatever extra you feel like adding on there. This way would seem to be a little easier then some people having an app, some bringing some index cards, and others with using their iphone.

Just an idea.
The website idea makes a lot of people vulnerable. Anyone could create an account and get a bunch of information that could be used to harm or steal from members.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Ryanbroome

Yea, didn't think about someone abusing the info. When planning a ride it's just as easy to let everyone know how to approach the issue ahead of time so everyones prepared for the pre ride meeting.

jrobinson

To add to Mulley's post, we had 3-4 "members" on the old site, that were stalking someone on the forum.

Also, that are areas in Alabama that doesn't have cell service.

Fencejumper09

Bamarides Business cards (ie personal information card)??

Isn't there a cheap website for business cards?

I am just lazy and filling out 19 index before each ride sounds exhausting.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

KrisCook

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on October 15, 2015, 12:19:40 PM

vistaprint and custom ink are two websites that come to mind.  That is actually a killer idea.
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Fencejumper09

500 cards for $9.99

Probably also include bike info and license plate #  or a picture hahaha

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Shepcam

I promise it was not me stalking Mulley,,, wait, uh,, yeah about that :-*
2013 Kawasaki Concours

Ryanbroome

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on October 15, 2015, 12:19:40 PM

I'm down for that. The heck with writing info on 20 pieces of paper.
+1 for the easiest route!

jrobinson

Quote from: Shepcam on October 15, 2015, 12:40:25 PM
I promise it was not me stalking JUST Mulley,,, wait, uh,, yeah about that :-*

Fixed that for you.

Ryanbroome

I can print cards on my printer. Let me try it out for myself and if it's a success I can do it for anyone else that wants em.

Mulley

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

2smoke

Like the helmet sticker idea. If the helmet is no longer attached it most likely wont matter anyway. Just need a custom version with Bama Rides on it.  8)