News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Riding before we get locked down.

Started by klaviator, April 02, 2020, 06:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Florida and Georgia just issued shelter in place orders. I expect Alabama may do the same in the next few days. I hope I'm wrong. It looked like there might be a good sunset this evening so I took advantage of the freedom we still have and jumped on my Versys hoping to get some good sunset pics.

It looked promising about 35 minutes before sunset.

Passing through a small community.

I prefer to take sunset pics as the sun sets over water but we've had so much rain that getting to my normal spots would require a boat so this was my backup.

This is a dead end dirt road in the Wheeler Wildlife refuge. I was there for around 30 minutes and there was no traffic. Social distancing at it's best.

I took a bunch of pics from different angles as the sun set. Most of the 57 pics I took were from this spot. I won't bore you with all of them, many are very similar. Here's a few more.

Heading for home I snapped this one while riding.

I was most of the way home and happened to get a view out to the west and saw that the sky was lit up. I took a right turn hoping to get some pics before it faded away.

By the time a found a good place to park the colors were fading.

It ended up being less than a 20 mile ride but it felt good to get out. The weather forecast is great for the next few days so I'm hoping to get in a little more riding while I can.

lazeebum

Great pictures Winn.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Al Goodwin

GREAT report and pictures....as always.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Paint Doc

Looks like I'll have to ride down in Alabama this weekend (if I ride). Tennessee has issued a stay in place order. I don't know if that pertains to a motorcyclist riding alone, but I'll head south just in case. If I'm stopped I'll just tell the officer I'm suffering from ABS* and was seeking treatment! I hope they understand!

*Acute Boredom Syndrome- a serious condition caused by a lack of pleasurable mental and physical stimulation. It can lead to a feeling of worthlessness, lethargy, irritability, quarrelsomeness and general depression. It is a leading cause of weight gain (too much snacking), eye strain (too much computer and TV time), and excessive use of drugs and alcohol. It also contributes to an increase in the divorce rate! An interesting beneficial side effect of this malady is an increase in manicured lawns and waxed and polished vehicles. Hmm, interesting!
Paint Doc
2013 V-Strom 650

Paint Doc

Paint Doc
2013 V-Strom 650

Guidedawg

Great report and inspiration.

I'm hoping to get out Saturday before a stay at home order is issued.  Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of Motorcycling Alabama which I normally use to give base ideas for any new area, but I'm sure I can find some nice rural roads in central Alabama to explore.

lazeebum

Quote from: Paint Doc on April 03, 2020, 08:04:04 AM
Looks like I'll have to ride down in Alabama this weekend (if I ride). Tennessee has issued a stay in place order. I don't know if that pertains to a motorcyclist riding alone, but I'll head south just in case. If I'm stopped I'll just tell the officer I'm suffering from ABS* and was seeking treatment! I hope they understand!

*Acute Boredom Syndrome- a serious condition caused by a lack of pleasurable mental and physical stimulation. It can lead to a feeling of worthlessness, lethargy, irritability, quarrelsomeness and general depression. It is a leading cause of weight gain (too much snacking), eye strain (too much computer and TV time), and excessive use of drugs and alcohol. It also contributes to an increase in the divorce rate! An interesting beneficial side effect of this malady is an increase in manicured lawns and waxed and polished vehicles. Hmm, interesting!
You can still fish and hunt in Tennessee.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

klaviator

Quote from: Paint Doc on April 03, 2020, 08:04:04 AM

ABS?  The symptoms sound the same as PMS :D

Paint Doc

ABS and PMS are similar and it is extremely dangerous for both to be present in a household at the same time. Can be lethal if not treated immediately!
Paint Doc
2013 V-Strom 650

klaviator

Alabama has issued a stay at home order starting at 5 PM tomorrow.  Ride while you can.  After that you can still ride to the grocery store.  I almost always get groceries with one of my scooters anyway. 

Al Goodwin

Outdoor activity in groups of 10 or less are still allowed.

Al Goodwin

Gam

Georgia's reads for outdoor EXERCISE activities.  Guess I could go ride single track on the 790.

Paint Doc

If you are able to hunt and fish, what about photography? And guess what, I use my V-Strom to get to the sites with the best sights!

Like Al pointed out, the main thing they don't want is groups larger than 10 people! Same here in Tennessee.
Paint Doc
2013 V-Strom 650