News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Chasing the Tag Dream

Started by Guidedawg, April 27, 2020, 05:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

When WillyT placed the tag at 29 Dreams I figured it would not last long.  Unfortunately, my schedule did not allow me to ride out there the weekend after he placed it and when I saw no one else had gotten it, I started making plans for a Saturday get out of the house and remain socially distant for a few hours ride.

I like to ride loops so I searched Google maps and found a route that would take me on some country roads that should provide little traffic and some entertaining riding.  I invited two friends to come along and plotted a route that would take us north of Vandiver to cross the Coosa at Logan Martin Dam and then go south and to the Tail of the Lizard.  When they did not reply, I decided to pick up a few of the Historical Registry buildings in Talladega and Shelby County instead.  So my planned route looked something like this:

When riding alone I like to get an earlier start and I know that searching for registry locations can eat up time on a ride, so I was on the road before 7.  My wife's suggestion of wearing my jacket was wise and I wondered if I shouldn't have included long johns as well.
It wasn't long before I had to stop and adjust directions.  When you are making a 4 index card ride, make sure you tape them well to each other to prevent wind from getting beneath.

I took 231 North through Wetumpka, Rockford, and into Sylacauga when I turned with it and joined 280 instead of continuing on 21 as I often do when traveling this way. It wasn't long before I found the Sylacauga Fayettville Highway and passed by the closed observation area for Grant's Quarry.

I didn't do very well initially with my planned detour to contribute to the Register of Historical Places section of this webite; in fact, I missed the first 3 buildings I hoped to find and didn't get clear shots of some of the others. I knew the delay could allow someone closer to grab the photo tag, but I knew I was in for a good ride either way and wouldn't be disappointed.  Besides, I learned about the Averiett plantation in my preliminary research and got to explore new to me areas of Alabama countryside

I especially enjoyed riding what amounted to little more than a paved path between Marble Valley Road and the metropolis of Talladega Springs.

I took a backroad to Childersburg and found construction on 280 blocking my planned route to the Butler House museum on my list. A police officer was monitoring traffic from the side so I asked him for alternate directions and he politely agreed.  I was able to get the museum but skipped the nearby stone house and returned to 231 to make my way to the Tail of the Lizard or Hwy 25.

The motorcycle resort 29 Dreams closed long before I even owned my first motorcycle, but I had heard of it from here. I've been on this road once before and didn't pay attention to it when I went by, and was suprised to see the pic was made from 25 when I was starting to look for Pittman Road.

I used my phone to check the site and make sure no one else had posted and then claimed the photo tag.  Then I was free to ride up to Leeds, turn around and enjoy the road again. I'm no peg scraper or canyon carver, but still had fun and got to practice curve and switchback approaches.

Once I was back in Vincent, I continued taking 25 south to Wilsonville (also new roads to me).
I turned around when I noticed a historical marker in front of an Alabama Power site. I was in no hurry so I took the bike over to learn a bit of local history.

A wiser man would have left his bike on the shoulder and walked over. I knew I was in trouble when I felt the sogginess of the ground as I parked. Surprisingly, I did not dig up the ground as I left but I made a huge mistake getting back on the road. The asphalt was raised from the shoulder and I chose the best approach and began to accelerate once my front wheel was getting up on it.  Unfortunately, my back wheel was still at the edge of the grass and that got me spinning a bit. I straightened initially, but then got caught in a slow speed fall.  Once the VTX gets over so far, I know there's not much I can do.

Nothing was hurt but my pride and I did have the presence of mind to lower the kickstand before my attempt to walk the back back up.  After all, I've seen video clips of little women lifting big bikes several times. Fortunately, another rider on an Indian Scout pulled over and gave me a hand just as I was realizing that little women on the Internet obviously have a better technique than what I was attempting.

I picked up Highway 145 and could have gone to Clanton and either the Interstate or Highway 31, but I wanted to do more meandering, so I turned onto Co Rd 249. I thought I had never been here but recognized it once I turned to it and soon found myself going over the wooden bridge and beside Yellowleaf Creek Mill.

Then I was on County Road 55 going over the Coosa just below Lay Dam and heading to Weogufka (or Alex City if I didn't turn off)  Just as I was nearing my turn on CR 56 I encountered this unexpected obstacle.

This almost 2 mile stretch afforded me many opportunities to make up for my spill earlier.  The county had recently added loose rocks all over the dirt road to improve traction in the muddy spots. Traffic meeting each other had to stop for each other to pass. I had no problems this time, but it lessened the enjoyment of an otherwise fine road.  The detour put us out almost where we left the road so I had no problems reaching my original turn off and going into "downtown" Weogufka.

The more I ride Coosa County Road 29 from Weogufka to Highway 22 (and across) the more I like it.  It has plenty of curves, is secluded, and just a nice road closer to home.  Crews had done at great job at clearing trees because they were down all along both sides of the road.  Storms had  been bad in this area the previous weekend.

In the past, I have always taken this road close to Titus and coming out on 231. Today I chose to explore Byuck Road instead and came out only a little further north than I would have.  It was another enjoyable road without the communities I would have driven through otherwise.  I think it will be my new route if I can remember where the turn is.  If only there were some sort of sign to help me recall it.

Yeah, that'll do it.

From there it was back home in time for lunch. It was a great day and a great ride.

lazeebum

Nice ride report. I enjoy you sharin your tours of middle Bama.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

yamahamer

Nice report. I can't believe Capertons is still there.

klaviator

Nice report.  I need to get down to that area some day.