News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

End of an era, Tuscaloosa

Started by DachshundUberAlles, April 28, 2020, 11:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DachshundUberAlles

After 35 years of his own business, and a good 50 years at the job, Joe Hargrove has closed the doors on his shop. While the day eventually comes for everyone, you feel bad to see the best in town hang it up. The few choices for service/repairs left in Tuscaloosa aren't exactly confidence inspiring. Joe and Cathey kept me going for decades, helping me when things were so bad that I couldn't have kept up this hobby any other way. Through the good times of racing three wheelers in the mid 1980's and M/X in the late 1990's, to the change into doing track days at Barber starting in 2016, to all the streetbike riding over the course of so many years, I could always count on them.
Time catches up with everyone, Joe's 50+ years have taken a large toll. I wish him well and am glad that they can have a new chapter in life. There's only so much of anything that people can take, I'm sure there comes a day when it just wears you down and breaking away can be seen as a great relief. I know how much better I felt when I was able to walk away from this business.
For me, there is no motorcycle support system in Tuscaloosa. I gave up on the local franchise operation a long time ago, preferring to purchase from Jamie Lane at Pinnacle. I use Honda East to order my OE parts, and now will rely of Mark Wooten in West Blocton for the service/repairs that I can't deal with on my own.
Farewell to the best mechanic and shop this town ever had.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

merc16

Well said. If there was ever a city with need of a good motorcycle shop now, it's T-town. Hope to see you at Mark's .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Justin

TFancher

I really hate to hear that Joe and Cathy are closing up shop. Joe is a trustworthy businessman and a great mechanic. Few people know the parts world better than Cathy. They will be SORELY MISSED!!!!!

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

lk2rd

I've known Joe since he was at Smith's on McFarland Blvd. so, around 40 years.  Last time I saw him was a couple of years ago to have him mount a tire.  We got into a bit of reminiscing which always irritates Cathy.  She wants him working and not so much gabbing.  It was technically after closing time so, she didn't get too annoyed.  Whatever happened to his son?  I used to think he would follow in Joe's footsteps but, he seemed to lose interested years ago.   

TFancher

Joey works for one of Mercedes' suppliers,ZF Industries. He's at the Mercedes plant often so I see him pretty frequently. He still does a little bike stuff occasionally I think. He put fork seals in my CRF250 a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

lk2rd

NEWS FLASH

Joe and Kathy are working at Smith's Sport Cycles.
Hard to believe, I know.

TFancher

Quote from: lk2rd on July 21, 2022, 01:10:15 AM
NEWS FLASH

Joe and Kathy are working at Smith's Sport Cycles.
Hard to believe, I know.
Whaaaaaaatttttt????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk