News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

TAT TN leg 19

Started by thinwater, September 23, 2020, 08:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinwater

So Sept 19 2020 we ran Hwy 72 West to Florence then turned North to catch the far West tip of Trans America Trail leg 19 and run it back Eastward (backwards).  We had ran leg 18 in the past and it was more exciting but 19 was still worth the ride.  Had one detour, but managed to get that done and wind up just the other side of where we had to turn around so nothing lost but time.  We wanted to include 18 but time was short when we reached the "end"/beginning of 19.  We hit Hwy 64 just South of Lawrenceburg and finally went through Pulaski without running from a storm.  The most spectacular thing happened in a camera off moment when I THOUGHT it was on.  Ugh. There was one shallow flat rock creek crossing that had algae growing on the bottom, slicker than owl snot.   @Pepperlady can vividly describe it for you from her point of view, but of course without proof others claim it didn't happen. @jrm927
https://youtu.be/bVP2Z6-87Xk

klaviator

That looks like some good riding.  How would you compare it to the stuff you took us through on the last few rides?

thinwater

The offroad portions weren't as challenging, but there was a higher percentage of dirt.

Actually the plan was run 19 backwards, then 18 backwards, which would end being able to run Limestone Dualsport on in home.  Starting at the end of 18 and working backwards would be a whole day with Limestone added with lunch at Five Points TN.  It would be a full day, of course you could run it the other way but then when your tired you have boring hwy to stay awake on to get back.

buddymc

I rode that leg from Collinswood back to West Point on my 78 GoldWing and managed to spin out on one of the snotty-flat-rock-bottomed crossings in March.   Was moving at some speed too!  Completely drenched.  Had to have help from another rider standing on dry land to drag my bike out.  No way to stand up on the slick rock and pick the bike up!  No Go-Pro then either!  But I'm very cautious these days on those type crossings!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

84 Goldwing GL1200 Standard, 03 BMW F650 City Street, backroads rider.

thinwater

Looking back the only reason I made it was the thin layers of that flat rock micro stair stepping down more on the upstream side.  I happened to choose that line, and it was slick but I think the corners of each layer ending here and there gave me just enough grip to keep recovering on my way across, and the lower power my bike has doesn't self accelerate the traction loss as bad.  I was wiggling too but the camera has video stabilization built in, and its mounted on the handle bars which the counter steering to the back end made it look like I went through with no problem.  If you listened hard you can hear me talking at that creek crossing.  I said, "Its SLICK, its Slime slick, trim your power".  I conviced her that all the dark green/black was slime and that maybe the dirt brown section being deeper the algae couldn't grow over there and might not be slick.  It was slick the complete width.

Quote from: buddymc on September 23, 2020, 12:04:49 PM
I rode that leg from Collinswood back to West Point on my 78 GoldWing and managed to spin out on one of the snotty-flat-rock-bottomed crossings in March.   Was moving at some speed too!  Completely drenched.  Had to have help from another rider standing on dry land to drag my bike out.  No way to stand up on the slick rock and pick the bike up!  No Go-Pro then either!  But I'm very cautious these days on those type crossings!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

lazeebum

Quote from: thinwater on September 23, 2020, 12:37:58 PM
Looking back the only reason I made it was the thin layers of that flat rock micro stair stepping down more on the upstream side.  I happened to choose that line, and it was slick but I think the corners of each layer ending here and there gave me just enough grip to keep recovering on my way across, and the lower power my bike has doesn't self accelerate the traction loss as bad.  I was wiggling too but the camera has video stabilization built in, and its mounted on the handle bars which the counter steering to the back end made it look like I went through with no problem.  If you listened hard you can hear me talking at that creek crossing.  I said, "Its SLICK, its Slime slick, trim your power".  I conviced her that all the dark green/black was slime and that maybe the dirt brown section being deeper the algae couldn't grow over there and might not be slick.  It was slick the complete width.
Did the git off happen on Double Branch road?

jrm927

I don't know what he's talking about, I made it across just fine!   ::)  The falls did occur on Double Branch road at the creek crossing just before the rental cabins on the north side (coordinates are 35.210420N 87.654838W).  I don't know how many times I tank slapped before going down but I wish it was caught on video for posterity and I'm sure it was entertaining to watch!
1974 Honda 350 Four
2019 BMW F850GS

lazeebum

I have almost dumped it there a couple of times.

Pepperlady

Quote from: jrm927 on September 23, 2020, 01:19:54 PM
I'm sure it was entertaining to watch!

It certainly was!

In my best Morgan Freeman narrarator voice:  Imagine, if you will, a cloudy & cool breezy day riding some fun dirt roads and one of them has a creek crossing that looks so deep that a minnow would struggle to find enough water to swim across.  Just right of the crossing is a neighboring man struggling to find footing wading the creek.  This should have been a warning to the oncoming riders, had they been paying enough attention.  The three riders approach with no clue how much their riding skill was fixing to be tested.  @thinwater, as usual, is the first to cross, so that he can set up to film the others as they cross.  He takes a path to the right of center and has a wobble or two.  He makes it through and warns the oncoming riders that this crossing is SLICK.  I think he should have used a stronger word.  @jrm927  picks a different line more to the left of center, hoping for better purchase with his more street than dirt tires.  He made it a little over halfway across before the entertainment began.  During that last 1/3 to 1/4 of the crossing his bike faced every way except backwards while his back end kept trying to pass his front.  He almost saved it 3 different times during that wet and wild bullride on ice, but in the end he hopped on one foot 2 or three times before the bike was too far gone to save it.  His bike was still slipping and sliding downstream after his full side body roll upstream.  It was really impressive how he fit all those maneuvers into such a short amount of time.  Then it was rider #3's turn.  She listened to her faithful instructor and guide and picked a line farther left where it should be more dirt and less slippery rock.  I don't know if it was as slick or not, but it was certainly slippery enough that as soon as her rear wheel got into this tiny little unassuming creek her front tire quickly went left and she slid upstream like diving onto a slip n slide as her bike coasted downstream.  The temperature of the water caused a Rick Flair Worthy "WHOOOO" as she got a helmet full of creekwater in her face.  And so, @thinwater picked up the Honda and slid it to the other side and pushed it out the bank, so she could put on dry gloves, at least before continuing the day of riding.
197? Honda 350four - heirloom work in progress
2008 Suzuki DR200se
2019 Kawasaki z400ABS
2001 Kawasaki KL250G Super Sherpa

lazeebum

Quote from: Pepperlady on September 23, 2020, 03:06:54 PM
It certainly was!

In my best Morgan Freeman narrarator voice:  Imagine, if you will, a cloudy & cool breezy day riding some fun dirt roads and one of them has a creek crossing that looks so deep that a minnow would struggle to find enough water to swim across.  Just right of the crossing is a neighboring man struggling to find footing wading the creek.  This should have been a warning to the oncoming riders, had they been paying enough attention.  The three riders approach with no clue how much their riding skill was fixing to be tested.  @thinwater, as usual, is the first to cross, so that he can set up to film the others as they cross.  He takes a path to the right of center and has a wobble or two.  He makes it through and warns the oncoming riders that this crossing is SLICK.  I think he should have used a stronger word.  @jrm927  picks a different line more to the left of center, hoping for better purchase with his more street than dirt tires.  He made it a little over halfway across before the entertainment began.  During that last 1/3 to 1/4 of the crossing his bike faced every way except backwards while his back end kept trying to pass his front.  He almost saved it 3 different times during that wet and wild bullride on ice, but in the end he hopped on one foot 2 or three times before the bike was too far gone to save it.  His bike was still slipping and sliding downstream after his full side body roll upstream.  It was really impressive how he fit all those maneuvers into such a short amount of time.  Then it was rider #3's turn.  She listened to her faithful instructor and guide and picked a line farther left where it should be more dirt and less slippery rock.  I don't know if it was as slick or not, but it was certainly slippery enough that as soon as her rear wheel got into this tiny little unassuming creek her front tire quickly went left and she slid upstream like diving onto a slip n slide as her bike coasted downstream.  The temperature of the water caused a Rick Flair Worthy "WHOOOO" as she got a helmet full of creekwater in her face.  And so, @thinwater picked up the Honda and slid it to the other side and pushed it out the bank, so she could put on dry gloves, at least before continuing the day of riding.
I think the fact that it's not a very big crossing gets you. I like your description of the event.

TN_twowheeladdict

I watched before reading.  That stream crossing took my breath away.  :o

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

Pepperlady

197? Honda 350four - heirloom work in progress
2008 Suzuki DR200se
2019 Kawasaki z400ABS
2001 Kawasaki KL250G Super Sherpa

Smitkev2

I know that spot well. When I was on the TAT years ago, I wiped out, punching my gear shift through the magneto cover, and leaking fluid. We JB Weld the hole and continued. Man that spot is so slippery, I even had it marked on my GPS and it still grabbed me. Enjoyed the video. Cheers