News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

KTM 890 Adventure R and Rally - introduction

Started by Mulley, October 07, 2020, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulley

The long rumored 890 version of the KTM Adventure R is finally here. The 890 Adventure R will be available November 2020 and the Adventure R Rally will available for pre-order November 2, 2020 on the KTM website but only 200 (of the total 700) will be available in the US. Pricing for both models is currently unavailable.

KTM 890 ADVENTURE R – MODEL HIGHLIGHTS

-New 889 cc engine with an added 90 cc of displacement
-Engine featuring 20% more rotating masses
-More power and torque
-Reinforced clutch
-Improved ABS and Traction Control
-Reworked shifting for faster gear changes
-Updated Quickshifter+ (optional)
-New handlebar switch for Cruise Control function
-Chassis upgrades with aluminum steering head tube and lighter subframe
-Reworked front and rear brakes
-New suspension settings

KTM 890 ADVENTURE R RALLY – MODEL HIGHLIGHTS

-Limited-edition, 700 units [500 INT and 200 U.S.]
-Updated engine and electronics
-WP XPLOR Pro Components Suspension
-Akrapovič exhaust (35% lighter than standard)
-Flat racing seat (with 910 mm height)
-RALLY mode and Quickshifter+ included
-Narrow anodized wheel rims with tubes
-Clear screen winglets and racing graphics and colors
-Carbon fiber tank protectors and Rally footrests

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/2021-ktm-890-adventure-announced-2/

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/travel/890-adventure-r-rally2021.html
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Mulley

I'm very interested in the 890 Adventure R. I would love the Rally version but it will be cost prohibitive. The 2020 790 Adventure R Rally was $19,499 and the 790 ADV R was $13,499. That 6K is a little hard to justify knowing I will never use it for its intended purpose. Also, I expect the 890 varients to be $1K more than their 790 counterpart. Also KTM is keeping the 790 in the lineup, at least for 2021.

I would like to hear what other riders think about this new 890. Do you think it will be worth the cost upgrade over the KTM 790 Adventure R? What about the newly released Yamaha Tenere 700?

Does the new 890 address some of the shortfalls in the 790? I've heard a few horror stories with quality control or poor design. Let's hear it.

Fencejumper09

As a KTM fanboy I really like the looks of this range of bikes. Unfortunately, I do not see extended periods of time available in my near future to be taking adventure rides.

Maybe in a few years they will be available in my price range off the used market.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

gulfcoaster

It's my understanding the only 790 that will remain in the lineup is the S version, being as there is not an 890 S.  I've been wanting to trade in my 1190 for a 790 for a while.  For me, I'd take either one depending on availability to be honest.  10 more horsepower sounds nice, but so does 15lbs lighter.  What I won't do is get a Rally.  I can't justify that price hike with my noob skills.  I would never be able to push the limits of the suspension on an 8/790R.  At least not on purpose.

Mulley

Quote from: gulfcoaster on October 08, 2020, 06:00:20 PM
What I won't do is get a Rally.  I can't justify that price hike with my noob skills.  I would never be able to push the limits of the suspension on an 8/790R.  At least not on purpose.

I have dreams about being able to use a full dakar level dirtbike suspension on a 100+ HP bike. What a thrill that must be.

Gam

I see they are reworking  the front and rear brakes. My 790 is in  the shop for replacement of the front wheel and rotors ( under warranty) bike was in the shop earlier for a recall on the rear brake line. I see they are also improving the abs, there are reports of the front brake locking up and people going down, without even having their hands on the brake lever...master cylinder-... ABS, who knows?  The reinforced clutch sounds good with all the people frying clutches. Wonder if they made the map a little richer up to 1500 -2000 rpms? Most times my bike takes three tries to crank when it is cold.  Once my front wheel is replaced I am going to see if the dealer will sell it on on consignment , I never want to see the *&^! thing again.

It's for sale if you are interested  after that buildup  :D

I will either get a T700 or whatever Kawasaki releases in November. I've always done my own work on bikes, this is the only bike I have ever had in a shop for repairs in over 55 years of riding and I am not counting minibikes as a kid, this is the only time I have made a warranty claim, if something broke, I just fixed it myself.  While nothing beats that 790 when it is right, it gives a sense of impending doom. I had rather have less bike and less trouble and if there is trouble I want to be sure I can fix it without hooking it up to a computer.

Madmanmike

I've never really known much about KTM. It was always an outlier brand for me. Like Moto Guzzi and Ducati. I knew the name, but little else.

Seeing these new releases I am impressed, but I don't think it's anything I would buy. There is just too much technology for me. It's like they are trying to get the bike to make all the decisions.

I appreciate some technology on my street bike. I'm just out to enjoy the ride and the view, in comfort. But when I was younger and did some off-road, it was about mastering the bike and the terrain. Not crazy about the bike doing the heavy lifting for me. The argument can be made that you can turn that stuff off. Ok. Then why pay for it if you're not going to use it?

Anyway, good on KTM producing this. Some will love it, and then put their older bikes up for sale. Then they can be happy with their new bike, an I can be happy with their older one.

gulfcoaster

Quote from: Gam on October 09, 2020, 05:46:04 AM
I see they are reworking  the front and rear brakes. My 790 is in  the shop for replacement of the front wheel and rotors ( under warranty) bike was in the shop earlier for a recall on the rear brake line. I see they are also improving the abs, there are reports of the front brake locking up and people going down, without even having their hands on the brake lever...master cylinder-... ABS, who knows?  The reinforced clutch sounds good with all the people frying clutches. Wonder if they made the map a little richer up to 1500 -2000 rpms? Most times my bike takes three tries to crank when it is cold.  Once my front wheel is replaced I am going to see if the dealer will sell it on on consignment , I never want to see the *&^! thing again.

It's for sale if you are interested  after that buildup  :D

I will either get a T700 or whatever Kawasaki releases in November. I've always done my own work on bikes, this is the only bike I have ever had in a shop for repairs in over 55 years of riding and I am not counting minibikes as a kid, this is the only time I have made a warranty claim, if something broke, I just fixed it myself.  While nothing beats that 790 when it is right, it gives a sense of impending doom. I had rather have less bike and less trouble and if there is trouble I want to be sure I can fix it without hooking it up to a computer.

I would consider the T7 if it had a few more ponies coming out of the motor.  I am sure that it has plenty for dirt roads/off road, but I am looking at something that will also be my only street bike.  Maybe I should just go for a T7 and an old FJR1300.  That would probably be the best solution.

Currently on an 1190 that I more or less bought on a whim.  Anything more technical than a dirt road and it feels like a pine tree with a piano strapped to the top to me.  Which is why I liked the 790, with the weight slung low.  But I will admit, that 1190 motor will put the biggest shit eating grin your face when you crack open the throttle!!!  Maybe the new plan is just keep the 1190, and get a T7(subject to change before sunset).

Curious as to what the new Kawasaki will be.  Haven't noticed a new thread here on the subject.  Either a "new" KLR probably with EFI, or something completely new to Kawasaki that could compete with the T7.  I tend to lean more towards the former.  I think if they were coming out with a lightweight twin cylinder ADV bike there would be huge hype and press releases behind it.  I imagine they just took a couple years off from the KLR to get it to pass new emissions.  Maybe it has inverted forks now?

Gam

Quote from: gulfcoaster on October 09, 2020, 03:13:47 PM
Curious as to what the new Kawasaki will be.  Haven't noticed a new thread here on the subject.  Either a "new" KLR probably with EFI, or something completely new to Kawasaki that could compete with the T7.  I tend to lean more towards the former.  I think if they were coming out with a lightweight twin cylinder ADV bike there would be huge hype and press releases behind it.  I imagine they just took a couple years off from the KLR to get it to pass new emissions.  Maybe it has inverted forks now?

I'll be satisfied with a six speed transmission, EFI, and bold new graphics.

Mulley

Quote from: Madmanmike on October 09, 2020, 06:54:28 AM
I've never really known much about KTM. It was always an outlier brand for me. Like Moto Guzzi and Ducati. I knew the name, but little else.

Seeing these new releases I am impressed, but I don't think it's anything I would buy. There is just too much technology for me. It's like they are trying to get the bike to make all the decisions.

I appreciate some technology on my street bike. I'm just out to enjoy the ride and the view, in comfort. But when I was younger and did some off-road, it was about mastering the bike and the terrain. Not crazy about the bike doing the heavy lifting for me. The argument can be made that you can turn that stuff off. Ok. Then why pay for it if you're not going to use it?

Anyway, good on KTM producing this. Some will love it, and then put their older bikes up for sale. Then they can be happy with their new bike, an I can be happy with their older one.

You are definitely not alone in this view of KTM and technology.

For reference Honda sold apx 19.3 million motorcycles in the last fiscal year
Suzuki sold 1.4 million
KTM sold 235,000 (number 1 in sales for a Euro company)
BMW sold 175,000 (includes scooters)
Triumph 55,000
Ducati sold 53,000

KTM is a major manufacturer now and growing. I wouldn't considering them a niche or boutique anymore.

As far as the electronics packages. For modern traction control, ABS, etc. when it works you don't even know its there. The amount of intrusion is adjustable and can be turned off for offroad or track duty. These new rider aids are there for safety because because have become so powerful that the average person can't really use them. They could easily get themselves in trouble by spinning up the rear at the wrong time.

This bike is borderline, in my opinion, for requiring this level of electronics. I personally want ABS and a real cruise control on every street bike. The ABS has to be high quality and and non-intrusive (almost race level). The traction control on a 105HP, I believe I could do without. My Aprilia Tuono Factory with around 140HP didn't have it and I never felt like it was a must have. The difference is that this bike is built to be used offroad. 105HP is a handful at lower speeds especially in soft dirt or mud. I think we would all benefit from traction control when the trails are nasty. For example, my KTM 500 has somewhere around 50-60HP and that's about the max that can be relatively easily controlled by the non "A" or pro rider with a bike of that low weight. In that regard, the Yamaha T7 has apx 72HP but weighs more. I don't believe it warrants traction control. The power to weight ratio is pretty low.

I'm not bashing the T7 in any way. It appears to be a fantastic motorcycle. Although very similar, these are very different motorcycles as the price difference indicates. I find the comparisons very interesting. The designs have some unique approaches. If they were closer in price (and branding removed) how would that change perception? The Yamaha is clearly the better value. It will do just about everything the KTM will do. The KTM just does everything a little better with a little more fun and style. The grin factor definitely goes to KTM. I own a Vesys 650. By all accounts, it's a budget bike that doesn't look or perform like one. It's a nice motorcycle that does everything the faster more expensive bikes in it's category can do. It has no bells and whistles and is very utilitarian. It's much like the T7 in that regard. I'm afraid the T7 will be dull and boring like every review of it's big brother the Super Tenere. Which does nothing wrong, it may be the best forgettable bike (no offense if you own one) ever made. It seems like everyone that owns one says it's great but they could take a nap while riding it. That's not what I'm looking for in a motorcycle. A motorcycle should invoke emotions. It should stir the soul and make you want to ride. It's not made for mere transportation. If that's what you are looking for, then get a fully automated Tesla and surf the web while it does the driving.

I want my ride to be engaging. I want a shit eating grin every time I twist the the throttle. Accelerated tire wear and fuel consumption be damned. The T7 and 890 ADV R aren't even similar in that regard. One will get you there to enjoy the scenery, the other gets you there with a big ol' smile on your face that a lower MSRP just can't replace.

Mulley

Quote from: gulfcoaster on October 09, 2020, 03:13:47 PM

Internet speculation so far is a fuel injected 700cc version of the Versys/Ninja 650 parallel twin in a KLR style frame. Which would make it very similar to a Tenere 700 with around 75HP. The era of 650 carb bikes is almost over. I don't think they can meet new emission standards. The DR650 and XR650L are grandfathered in somehow (^insert legal junk here). Having a bike with this engine (2015 Versys 650), it would need some serious rework to make it a proper engine for an offroad bike. It just doesn't have any guts down low. Throttle response in tight turns and low speeds are really twitchy even after getting my ECU tuned. I believe prior KLR650 owners would be disappointed.

gulfcoaster

Quote from: Mulley on October 09, 2020, 05:47:08 PM

I want my ride to be engaging. I want a shit eating grin every time I twist the the throttle. Accelerated tire wear and fuel consumption be damned. The T7 and 890 ADV R aren't even similar in that regard. One will get you there to enjoy the scenery, the other gets you there with a big ol' smile on your face that a lower MSRP just can't replace.

Can't disagree with a single word in that statement.