News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Murphy NC to Tellico Plains and back

Started by norton73, October 15, 2020, 12:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

Lynn & I headed up to Murphy NC to join a few friends for the NottaRally. Which actually wasn't a rally. Just a bunch of friends hangin' out, drinkin' , camping, and a little ridin'. Home base was Crawford's Campground back behind Murphy NC.

http://crawfordscg.com/index.html

We got there Friday shortly afternoon, set up camp, and went for a short ride before it got cold and dark. We went east on Beaver Dam Rd and turned up a few dirt roads just see what was up there. One was Copper Creek Rd, started paved, fun turns along the creek, then turned to a FS road. Followed it down a few dead ends, one ended at a big berm, one at a cabin, and the other at a nice campsite between two creeks.

Saturday dawned cool, about 45, so we waited a while for the sun to rise a little before we headed out. East on Beaver Dam to Joe Brown Hiway, with a dog leg on Burrell Mtn Rd. Then down Schuler's Creek Rd. Fun ride, scenic, along the creek.

Took a few side roads there, a couple ended in dead ends,

Shortly before we hit River Rd and pavement, we turned right on a forest service road I had been on before that had ended at a gate. This time the gate was open, and we continued through.

Turns out this was "Old 68".

Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

There is so much great riding around there.  I have been to a couple of DS rallies at Crawford's Campground.  I need to go back sometime.

norton73

This turned out to be the road that intersects the road to Buck Bald, comes in right where Trail 82 crosses it.

We rode up to Buck Bald.

Looking East towards where the Hiawasee cuts trough the ridge;

We had heard that 82 towards Joe Brown Hiway was in rough shape, so decided just to ride down the trail to Rt 68.

norton73

Once we got on 68, we rode north towards Tellico Plains, holding the throttles to the stops and enjoying the curves on little bikes.

I often think a KLX with a big bore kit and 17" rims would be a hoot on many of the small paved roads, as it is, it's still a ton of fun on knobbies.

Close to Tellico plains, we turned onto Old Furnace Rd,

Started out fun, but about a mile from where it intersects Cherohala Skyway, we got stuck behind a parade of bear hunters driving slowly in the middle of the road. No place to pas, and they seemed to have no intention of pulling over and letting us by.

Once we got to the Skyway, we headed into Tellico plains to hit a grocery store, somehow i had forgotten to pack coffee and salsa on this trip. Fortunately, I had managed to beg some coffee from another camper that morning, otherwise i'd have never gotten us up and moving.

After the brief stop, we headed back out the Skyway, turned on River Rd, then crossed the river and up Wildcat rd.

It turns into Bald River rd, and was fun riding until Smithfield Rd intersected with it.

Then there was a sign that the road was under construction and closed M-F 9-5. Fortunately, it was Saturday. There was a couple on DRZs there and we asked how the road was. They replied there was fresh gravel ahead, they were waiting on the rest of the their group.

We started up, and the gravel was deep and loose. Going the other way, was a young lady on a TW200, she was crawling, and didn't look comfortable at all. We continued, hoping it wouldn't last.

Fortunately, after a couple miles, the deep fresh gravel ended at Lookout Tower Rd.

norton73

Lookout Tower Rd looked to be short on the map, but it sure wound around a bunch. Fun ride, a couple washouts, nothing difficult.

When we got to the end, as we were climbing, it looked like the road just ended, just a horizon line with no idea what was past it. I took it easy, but it was really nothing.

Nice views, and then back down;

norton73

We then continued out Bald river Rd, stopped and looked at Holly Flats Campground as a possibility for the future, turned up a couple dead ends.

Then it was River Rd to Davis Creek Rd, and back to camp.

Hung out at the campfire a bit, drank a few beers, and then hit the sack.

Sunday morning we thought about going for a short ride, but decided to load up and head home.