News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Out Enjoying My New V85TT Adventure

Started by SoloRider73, October 15, 2020, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoloRider73

I decided to replace my DR650 with a larger ADV style bike.  I ended up buying a Moto Guzzi V85TT Adventure.  I rode it on a Moto Guzzi camping trip a few weeks ago and around north Alabama during the break-in period.  I just got my V85TT back from it's first service and took it out after work to rip up some dirt and gravel roads in Wheeler wildlife refuge near Huntsville.

All was going well.

I was having good fun spinning up gravels and dust.

The bike started feeling less responsive.  I stopped and realized the rear tire was going flat.

I had taken all my tools off the bike since it had been in service, so I had no way of patching it.  The tire wasn't completely flat, so I rode it to the nearest gas station where I purchased some fix a flat.  Needless to say getting fix a flat in the tire was a chore with the nozzle of the can.  It was also difficult to get air in the tire using the  stiff gas station pump.  After some sweating and cursing I was able to get the tire aired up enough to ride.  I had to ride 20 miles home.  After about 15 miles I noticed the rear tire had lost quite a bit of air again.  I went ahead and rode it slowly the last 5 miles home. 

I haven't had a flat on a motorcycle in 15 years.  The one time I go out without tools, I get a flat.  I went ahead and ordered a new tire and tube since I rode on it near flat.

Moral of the story - Don't leave home without some basic tools and flat repair kit even if it's just a short ride.

thinwater

That looks like it would be a good cool or cold weather bike with those heads in front of the knees.

SoloRider73

I've been pretty happy with it so far, but it is still new.  It handles the twisties really well which is a priority for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gam

Tappet valves with easy access, no chain, linear power...nice.

Merkur Man

Nice bike. I looked at getting one last September, but it was at a dealership outside of Chicago.
If you don't mind me asking, where/what dealership did you get yours from? Was your experience with them satisfying?

Scooter

Sorry about your flat, but I really like your Guzzi!
Scooter

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

SoloRider73

Quote from: Merkur Man on October 17, 2020, 06:29:00 PM
Nice bike. I looked at getting one last September, but it was at a dealership outside of Chicago.
If you don't mind me asking, where/what dealership did you get yours from? Was your experience with them satisfying?

I have two Moto Guzzi's and both were purchased from Sloan's in Murfreesboro TN.

https://sloansmotorcycle.com

Sloan's is locally owned and I have nothing but praise for their sales and service.  If you call them ask for Doug in sales.  I think he has worked there for 20 years.  Doug is low pressure and the dealership will let you test ride any bike in the building.

I don't know what part of Alabama you are in, but there is a dealer in Mobile as well.  I don't know anything about them. 

My other Guzzi is a V7 III.

Merkur Man

I actually stopped at Sloan's last February, but did not see any Guzzi"s in the dealership. I don't even remember seeing any advertisements for Moto Guzzi hanging on the walls. Are there two different buildings or locations for their dealership?
It was a Saturday when I was there, and they were very, very busy so I did not ask to see a salesperson.

I have some miles riding Moto Guzzi's, while I worked at the Harley-Davidson testing facility. They were one of our competitive brands that we tested. Always enjoyed riding them, but i have not ridden any since 2013, so I don't know how the new ones ride.
Thanks for the info. Oh, and I live in Oxford AL. 

klaviator

I've never been to Sloan's.  I think I may just set up a group ride there sometime.

BTW, I love the color scheme on the V85TT.

SoloRider73

Quote from: Merkur Man on October 18, 2020, 09:22:12 AM
I actually stopped at Sloan's last February, but did not see any Guzzi"s in the dealership. I don't even remember seeing any advertisements for Moto Guzzi hanging on the walls. Are there two different buildings or locations for their dealership?
It was a Saturday when I was there, and they were very, very busy so I did not ask to see a salesperson.

I have some miles riding Moto Guzzi's, while I worked at the Harley-Davidson testing facility. They were one of our competitive brands that we tested. Always enjoyed riding them, but i have not ridden any since 2013, so I don't know how the new ones ride.
Thanks for the info. Oh, and I live in Oxford AL.

I don't know how long they have been selling MGs, but it's been years.  You probably just missed them, it's a big building.  They tend to have all the European bikes together.  Like most dealers, they move the bikes around occasionally.

Mulley

That is a good looking bike. I'm a fan. I've only ridden one Guzzi, a Grisso but it was a fantastic ride. I was tempted to buy it.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC