News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ralley in the Valley III

Started by jrobinson, September 10, 2015, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Chitza

Thanks Johnny and Sandy for the hospitality and a nice boring street ride. It was a perfect route with plenty of scenery, curves, good food and company. And the most excitement we had was a bad battery connection.  :o
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

LawnmowerRG

Thank you to everyone that showed. Good company makes for the best times. Of coarse the location and planning made it an exceptional weekend of riding to go with the friends. So all together it was a beseptional weekend.  ;D
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

kdtrull

Experimenting with more mobile-friendly encoding....smaller dimensions and MUCH lower bit rate.
2015 Rally In The Valley P1

kdtrull

griff

Nice video. Shows some of the 'secret' trails. These are all public access but you wouldn't know about them unless someone told you. They are all part of Franklin State Forest near Winchester, TN. 
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

kdtrull

Last one.  This is the hill that whooped my tail.
Skip to the 5 minute mark if you just want to see what's at the bottom.

griff

That's some good video but it really doesn't do that hill justice. That sucker is steep and rocky.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

kdtrull

Quote from: griff on September 26, 2015, 08:34:39 AM
That's some good video but it really doesn't do that hill justice. That sucker is steep and rocky.

Photos and videos almost never capture the grade accurately.
This image might add some perspective. 
The trail length measured about 2590 ft. distance (in Basecamp, from the top intersection to the bottom intersection) and dropped about 477 ft. elevation (1779 - 1302).

Yankee Dog

Quote from: kdtrull on September 26, 2015, 10:21:32 PM
Quote from: griff on September 26, 2015, 08:34:39 AM

Photos and videos almost never capture the grade accurately.

That what I was thinking and I was also thinking it looked steep in the vid.  So it must have been quite steep indeed.   

jrobinson

I told my wife the same thing. That hill looked steep on the video.

From the stats Ken gave, it dropped a foot every 5 feet. That means the front wheel was roughly a foot lower than the rear most of the time.

LawnmowerRG

Been down a couple hills like that.
It kinda sucks. If you mess up just a little your screwed. Might as well go back to the bottom.
If you don't you look like a hero.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

kdtrull

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on October 05, 2015, 03:35:57 PM
Been down a couple hills like that.
It kinda sucks. If you mess up just a little your screwed. Might as well go back to the bottom.
If you don't you look like a hero.

I wonder what you look like when you walk out after someone else rides your bike out.  ;D
Oh yeah...I know....A big fat sad sack!!!

lazeebum

Yeah, I believe I would have just skipped that part. Waaay out of my skill set.

Yankee Dog

Well at least you gave it a shot.  And remember the adventure all that adversity produced.