News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Throttle on a leash

Started by thinwater, January 30, 2021, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinwater

Went riding with @klaviator , @SoloRider73 , and @Sweeper today on the Street ride posted https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=4021.0
About 3/4 the way up to Delina from Ardmore, I couldn't keep up with Klaviator in the lead on his powerful 400 majesty on my Himalayan 410 even though I was riding in the back.  I told Sweeper who usually occupies the back out of preference that I would be in his way since he'd shown up on a V4 Honda VFR, and SoloRider73 on his 750 MotoGuzzi.  I belonged in the back and was fine with it.  Not fine with not being able to keep up.  After arriving at Delina it bugged me bad, I couldn't hold 65mph on Hwy 64, and the bike would run 85 before the larger CalSci winter windshield was added, but I'd ran 70mph with throttle left since the addition.
  I tell the guys at the table I think my air filter is stopped up, after all its the OEM I keep blowing out at every oil change and I'm at 23,000 miles.  I go out and remove it while we're waiting on our food.  After lunch I'm back in the game.  Confidently now able to hold 70mph with throttle left, keeping up with the pack.  Then most of the way back to Ardmore it happens again.  This time I can't run more than 60.  SIXTY!
  On the way home after the post ride breeze shooting I'm even slower.  I look down and notice a chord wrapping over the throttle grip.  "Well, that hasn't been there".  Its the power cable to the Apollos Heated grips.  After so much heat soak time it has opened up and slipped on the throttle tube.  The grip has taken all the slack out of the power chord but the throttle tube underneath is severely governed at this point. ???
  I rolled it back in correct position and the Himalayan woke up, Yugely, or Bigly as our previous president would say. 
  When I installed the grips they were so tight that I was afraid I would break them installing, its been over a year, but running them that long they slipped on the throttle tube limiting power.  I will have to keep them hot and remove the tank to get enough chord slack to remove them hot, glue them this time, and put them back on hot.  At least the mystery is solved.

rider_marc

Good you found the problem quickly. It's definitely an odd one.
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

SoloRider73

Glad it was something simple to fix. Not sure if you noticed, but after Delina I was watching for how far back you were. On one left turn, I kept looking in my left mirror and didn't see you. I slowed down waiting for you at the intersection and didn't see you. I then looked on my right mirror and saw you right behind me. I'm sure you were wondering what I was doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinwater

I knew what you were doing, I appreciate the watching out for me.