News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Gymkhana in 2021?

Started by Chuck A., February 06, 2021, 08:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck A.

Long time folks, but I still lurk the forum reading ride reports and such. I was asked recently if you all still put on the gymkhanas. I ride with a local group that really could use some parking lot education for their riding skills. They like their big Harleys but a few can't do the low speeds comfortably as we are all aging. I'm on a near thousand pound Kawasaki Voyager 1700 and it can be a bit of a hand full in a tight area it's self. Please let me know as I can pass the word along. 8)
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

Chuck & Susan

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck A.

I think most of the guys would prefer something closer to North Bama and more none commercial. Just a fun day on the bike to sharpen their skills.
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

klaviator

The hardest thing about putting on a Gymkhana is finding a place to hold it.  If you could get use of that parking lot in Falkville where we did it a few years ago I think we might be able to get some cones and set it up.

Chuck A.

Are all the cones from the previous years still around/in storage? They now have restrooms built onto the shelter. I could always check on it if there is enough interest.

klaviator

I believe all the cones and Gymkhana stuff is down at the Bike Shop in Leeds.  Besides the cones we need Liability Waiver forms and Maybe someone who knows how to set up a Gymkhana course.  I could probably wing it but I have never set one up before.  Then we would need a few volunteers to help run it. 

I would love to have another Gymkhana and would certainly help set it up.  It seems that many of the people who ran these in the past are no longer active. 

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Sweeper

I know almost nothing and can be useless at times but willing to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck A.

So who is in charge of the cones now days? Carla got them from me after the GK in Falkville and Buzz had set up the course. Are they still active? JR is still the forums top moderator isn't he?

klaviator

Quote from: Chuck A. on February 08, 2021, 08:57:53 PM
So who is in charge of the cones now days? Carla got them from me after the GK in Falkville and Buzz had set up the course. Are they still active? JR is still the forums top moderator isn't he?

The last couple of Gymkhana's were put on by @LawnmowerRG  in Leeds.  I think the cones and other stuff are in the MA Trailer which is parked behind the Bike Shop in Leeds. 

Carla and Buzz have not been seen on the forum for some time now. 

JR is still the administrator.

Fencejumper09

Cones are cheap! Don't let that hold you back.

I have some soccer cones I got from Ollie's for $1 per pack that we have used for a driveway gymkhana
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Chuck A.

Quote from: klaviator on February 09, 2021, 08:11:21 AM
....................Carla and Buzz have not been seen on the forum for some time now. 

JR is still the administrator.

I went through the members list last night and saw that a lot of the older members were not active. I may contact Johnny to find what it would take to get a GK going for this spring. I myself got caught up in constant overtime for the last 4 years so I was not active but I did log in and get caught up on the happenings from time to time.

LawnmowerRG

I have the cones. The trailer is in jasper and Karla and Buzz's house.

We are willing to host a Gymkhana at the shop. We tried to schedule first of last summer. The city didn't reply back until December. We need a month to ask permission for the city. If they don't reply I'm ok with just having it any way.

BTW we ask for that permit the end of May.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Chuck A.

Our Sons Of Liberty Riders have a meeting in March. I will mention it you see if I can draw interest for a road trip to Leads. 8)

2372ighost

Quote from: Sweeper on February 08, 2021, 07:16:09 PM
I know almost nothing and can be useless at times but willing to help.

I'm with @Sweeper , and willing to help.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder