News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

AL Senate Bill to require helmet reflectivity

Started by TN_twowheeladdict, April 21, 2021, 06:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_twowheeladdict

https://advrider.com/alabama-senate-bill-357-requires-reflective-helmets/

Hope you all write, call, email your state representatives.

[subject edited by moderator]
Previous subject "I guess I soon won't be riding in Alabama if this bill passes "

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

Mulley

@TN_twowheeladdict  Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This bill is terribly flawed and must be stopped.

Please contact your state senator (not U.S.) and voice your opinion. Tell your motorcycling friends to the same.

You can use this site to determine who your senator is. Just enter your address and hit "go".
https://cqrcengage.com/alabama

This site is a tracker to keep up with where the bill as it progresses.
https://www.bamapolitics.com/alabama/bills/2021-alabama-legislative-regular-session/2021-alabama-senate-bills/sb357-alabama-2021-session/

@KrisCook can you fill us in on Dixie ABATE and how we can help?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Moto Guzzi

Sent an email to the Senator and Representative ( in case it makes it out of the Senate) for my district this morning, voicing my opposition to this bill and encouraging them to vote NO on it.

KrisCook

Thanks for pinging me, Mulley.  Dixie ABATE is vigorously opposed to this asinine bill for many reasons.  Freddy Wheeler, with Dixie ABATE, showed up at the meeting of the Governmental Affairs committee on April 20th.  Senator Chambliss said he brought the bill on behalf of a mother of a state trooper who was killed on his personal motorcycle when a driver turned left into his path of travel.  Freddy offered condolences to the mother and told the committee that a reflective sticker mandated by the state on helmets won't solve the issue.  I haven't pulled together a grass roots campaign yet because frankly, I never thought this bill would go anywhere.  I'm stunned that it passed favorably out of committee.

And the real problem with tacking this bit of lunacy onto the helmet law is the helmet law itself.  We have left it alone, primarily because we don't have a ghost of a chance of changing it yet, and secondarily because if we rock the boat, someone might possibly actually read it.  If you read it closely, you will understand that NO helmet is legal to be sold in Alabama.  Back in the early days of Dixie ABATE, I queried the state about who has the list of approved helmets, and was told that the list does not exist.  Of course it doesn't.  Who would want it to be their job to keep up with every make and model of helmet sold in Alabama?  And the safety standard cited in the statute is obsolete.  So while there HAVE been some tickets given for novelty helmet or no helmet or helmet worn on knee, there haven't been many. 

Dixie ABATE has a Facebook page where we debate things like this.  I guess I'm going to have to jump in and issue a call to action.  Mostly a call to CALL.  A bunch of phone calls will get a legislator's attention.  I've even bounced around the idea of going to Montgomery when it comes back up.  We also have access to grass-roots lobbying software called CQ Engage, which automates the process and makes it super easy for people to contact their legislators via email.  I hate to raise a huge stink, again, because the Eye of Sauron could turn toward that actual existing law.  But this stupid thing needs to go away.  If we don't stand up and take action, this is how we will continue to be treated. 

Dixie ABATE needs members.  We need to be able to put a group together that will be noticed and respected when we visit the state house.  A group who will be listened to, because we are the obvious experts in the subject matter.  We should be consulted when someone proposes to make a law for us. 

https://dixieabate.org/join-or-renew-today/

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

2_Wh33ler

To be clear, the issue is not one of conspicuity but perception as most drivers don't perceive motorcycles as a threat. I offered several alternative suggestions the primary of which was to support the hands free Bill coming out of the House of Representatives HB 611 this would make it illegal to hold a cell phone at anytime the car was in motion, while allowing use while stopped. This had the effect of a 60% drop in distracted driving fatalities in Georgia.

polarissalesman

I have contacted my Rep and talked to him on the phone at length about this STUPID bill. He is in agreement with us... I have seen some stupid bills in my day but this is right up there... please do all you can....
"keep the rubber side down"

LawnmowerRG

I have exchanged several emails with my rep also.
From an industry standpoint consider this. The way I read the bill, and I'm not an expert on this. It says the Helmet has to be approved by the state. Therefore I can only assume the reflective material would have to be factory installed. This would indicate helmet manufacturers would have to make helmets for only the state of Alabama. Then present them for approval.

As a helmet maker is this worth the sales of one small state?
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

klaviator

On top of all the other stupidity in this bill, the state would lose a lot of tourist dollars as no motorcyclists from other states would come here.   Barber might just as well shut down.  Who would come to an event at Barber if they had to buy a special helmet?

Gam

I sent a link to the bill to the Motorcycle Industry Council, in case they weren't aware of it.

KrisCook

And, as the legislative session draws to a close, thankfully, this went nowhere.  Unfortunately, neither did the hands-free legislation. 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom