News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

TAT ride in South TN - Saturday June 5th

Started by David DoubleEX, June 03, 2021, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David DoubleEX

I am planning to ride up to TN from Huntsville Saturday. Likely to Winchester TN and then riding some of the TN Transatlantic Trail. I will be on my v strom so I definitely won't do anything too gnarly offroad.

I'm just wanting to get an idea of what can be expected on the TAT and have some fun. Let me know if anyone is interested in coming along.

Would expect to leave sometime saturday morning, maybe around 9, but am flexible.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mojo1

I would like to but can't make up there this weekend.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Al Goodwin

Myself and a couple o friends just done the TAT from Damascus Virginia to Pickwick, little over 1500 miles total.
Several creek crossings along the south central Tennessee section.  We camped at Davey Crockett state park, it's just a few miles off the TAT.  Then to Pickwick the next night, little over 200 miles that day.  We were on a DR650, KLR650, and Honda 250L...the VSttom will do fine.

Enjoy the ride, wish I could tag along, but I'm working a 12 hour night shift Friday night, I doubt you'd want to drag me out 9f a ditch when I fall asleep on the bike

Quote from: David DoubleEX on June 03, 2021, 09:44:37 PM
I am planning to ride up to TN from Huntsville Saturday. Likely to Winchester TN and then riding some of the TN Transatlantic Trail. I will be on my v strom so I definitely won't do anything too gnarly offroad.

I'm just wanting to get an idea of what can be expected on the TAT and have some fun. Let me know if anyone is interested in coming along.

Would expect to leave sometime saturday morning, maybe around 9, but am flexible.

David DoubleEX

Well I had an eventful ride! I rode up to Winchester to start on the TAT and ran Into 3 other riders, the Buchanan's, that started in Virginia and will be doing the whole TAT.
They are on a KLR, Xr650, and KTM 1290.

We rode together for about 6 hours before I headed back home.

I found out that the central parts of the TN TAT are mostly asphalt. Our riding was probably 75% paved.

Along the way, Reid's KLR lost one of the subframe bolts so we made a stop at oreileys.
Here we met @thinwater's wife, @Pepperlady.
She stopped by when she saw 4 adventure riders causing a ruckus at the Ardmore oreileys and just wanted to make sure we were okay. We appreciated the stop!

The picture of this water crossing is not on the TAT but was less than a mile off the TAT. It looked doable but wouldn't be much fun!

On my way back home, I had to swap into my rain gear. The sky fell right as I was zipping up my jacket.

I am now typing this sitting at Tailgaters just a few miles from home. Eating some wings to round out the night!

thinwater

Where did you break away at?  It was interesting to hear about when Pepperlady got home.  With the rain we've had I was wondering about one creek crossing in the middle of TN-18, thought it might be too deep to cross and too muddy to tell. 

David DoubleEX

Quote from: thinwater on June 06, 2021, 07:38:25 AM
Where did you break away at?  It was interesting to hear about when Pepperlady got home.  With the rain we've had I was wondering about one creek crossing in the middle of TN-18, thought it might be too deep to cross and too muddy to tell.
We split near the David Crocket State Park near Westpoint.
The water crossings we did were not bad. They had flowing water but solid concrete bottoms so it was no big deal.
It was a fun ride!

In the near future, I would like to start in South Pittsburg and ride to the Mississippi line. Judging by our distance covered yesterday, I think that could be completed in one long day ride, but splitting it into two days on a weekend would be fine too if we take some detours.

thinwater

I might be up to doing it with you if schedule lines up.  Let me know when you do it.  I have not ran that section of the TAT yet, and have the tracks saved both directions.  So we could run it backwards on the way over and slab it back if our schedule lines up and you would care to do it that way.  Doesn't matter to me the direction just letting you know it was an option if we happened to be able to line up.
  You guys split up before the one I'm talking about I believe.  Thats a good area where the concrete creek crossings are, and there is good riding around that, that the TAT couldn't catch all of.