News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

April 8, 2024 - Solar Eclipse & Three Sisters

Started by Nice Goat, December 14, 2021, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

See a total solar eclipse and ride the Texas Three Sisters...
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck & Susan

It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Nice Goat

Twisted Sisters:

Total Solar Eclipse:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice Goat

The swath of the eclipse is very wide, but to be in the center of the penumbra, you want to be on the blue line.  That blue line will pass right through the Twisted Sisters and less than 2 miles from the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum.

Chuck & Susan

I see a plan coming together and I'm liking it!

Just what I need another excuse to travel....  ;D
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

norton73

Kinda far out for me to plan that far in advance, but I can see the possibility of a Big Bend trip included if I was to go all that way.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

thinwater

You riding out, and whatcha riding? Hauling out?  Alright, you've turned me onto something I didn't know existed.  :P  Thanks!  So I've preliminary read across it, and the big route seems to be a pavement carver, but there are mentions of suggested offchutes for adventure riding.  So I'm not planning on throwing in just yet, but for kicks thoughts, I probably couldn't keep up with you on Jolene even though I can run 70 all day long (unless a Western 30mph headwind).  IF I went and we weren't speed compatible we could just share contacts in case someone needed assistance.  Garmin Inreach tracking link.
  Are you thinking you'll be throwing in the dirt play runs or sticking to the curvy pavement?

Just throw in considerations:
That could be tornado season. / camping

From going North during the last eclipse the traffic gets weird in very unusual places, hotels get booked up quick.  Commitment for rooms should be made early.

Nice Goat

Quote from: thinwater on December 18, 2021, 08:13:04 AM
You riding out, and whatcha riding?...

It will be a street ride for me.  I'll probably be on something more roadworthy and touring-oriented than anything I presently own...

I'll be staying in a hotel, preferably something big and Texan, like the Y.O. Ranch Hotel (https://www.yoranchhotel.com/).

I'll try to make reservations about 12 months in advance.  Already set up a Google Calendar reminder.

Chuck & Susan

I agree on the reservations needing to be made at 12 months out. They normally won't allow them to be made more that a year ahead, but they will go fast when they do. The last eclipse in Tennessee there was nothing open even miles away from the dark zone.

Of course I'll be on the Goldwing. When it comes time I'll have to decide weather to ride north and meet yall for the ride west or jump on I-10 and meet you there.

This sounds like a 2-up trip, Susan is interested also.

Glad you thought of this @Nice Goat and is this going to be a Ride For Pie 2024? After all Pie is as important as gasoline.... Just better when someone else is buying.... LOL

Chuck
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

thinwater

Quote from: Nice Goat on December 18, 2021, 08:49:00 PM
I'll probably be on something more roadworthy and touring-oriented than anything I presently own...

I hope to have an extra more road touring oriented piece by then also. :o