Looking for ideas for a 4 to 5 day duelsport ride

Started by 2014Herman, December 18, 2021, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2014Herman

Hello good people!
I live up in Nebraska and some friends and myself are wanting to come down your way in the warmer month of February and explore Alabama's back county.   Have any of you some tracks or ideas you could share?  Maybe staying south of Montgomery thinking the days would be above 60 deg there.
Thank you for your help

Sweeper

I don't really know south Alabama dual sport rides at all but can say to expect a lot of flat. Soil could range from red clay to sand.
If the weather doesn't change, it will still be above 60 here in north Alabama then!
Be sure to plan a day at the Barber Motorsport Museum in Leeds if you haven't been.
Hopefully someone will be along with some info for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinwater

Got to ADV rider and do a search for the SEAT or S.E.A.T.  I think it runs the pan handle of Fl and runs up the Al/GA line for part of its loop.  Thats the only Idea I have that far south.

Merkur Man

I saw a similar posting on ADV rider from a guy in St Louis.

I also don't know much about riding south of Montgomery, I do know there is some off road riding around Clanton AL. (half way between Birmingham and Montgomery)
There is a club that has several events, enduro, dual- sport and adventure bike rides, throughout the year near Clanton.
A buddy of mine just road in an event around "Flag Mountain" near Clanton, which I think may be inside (or near) the lower Talladega National forest. He could possible have some GPS tracks to share.
We have plenty of street and dual sport riding in the upper portion of the Talladega National forest.
Temps in February should be 50-60ish during the daytime. 

As Sweeper stated, you must stop at the Barbers Museum. It's the World's largest motorcycle museum. And now with the new "Buc-ee's" store open right next door. They are like the largest convenience store in America.

klaviator

Most of us on this forum live in North Alabama.  The weather in February here could be 70 degrees or there could be a few inches of snow on the ground in which case everything will shut down.  I did live in the Montgomery area for a year back on 2001-2002.  Just north of there was the Coosa Wildlife Management area that was a big maze of dirt roads.  It's been 20 years since I rode it so it may have changed but it was fun back then. 

Johnny Tobyone

David Haynes book    has alot of dual sport rides in it.   easy dirt roads  ...  might be out of print though

http://www.uapress.ua.edu/product/Motorcycling-Alabama,5042.aspx
R1200R
CRF450L

Gam

Quote from: klaviator on December 19, 2021, 09:58:48 PM
Most of us on this forum live in North Alabama.  The weather in February here could be 70 degrees or there could be a few inches of snow on the ground in which case everything will shut down.  I did live in the Montgomery area for a year back on 2001-2002.  Just north of there was the Coosa Wildlife Management area that was a big maze of dirt roads.  It's been 20 years since I rode it so it may have changed but it was fun back then.

It's still good.  Clarification:  Not the Coosa WMA since a lot of it was leased to deer hunters, but Coosa County Still has a ton of dirt county roads.

klaviator

Have you considered waiting until March.  Spring will be in full bloom and the weather likely much warmer.

2014Herman

Thank you all very much.   I think we will incorporate th SEAT or at least some of it.  Would like to see the museum as well.
Merry Christmas and a great 2022! to you :)