News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

+/- 800CC Jap Cruiser

Started by bblass, October 27, 2015, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

Have a friend looking for his first bike that wants a smallish entry level cruiser he can grow into. He's also a bigger guy so it will need to have a little 'umph. Wanting to spend around $2,500, cash in hand.

Anyone got something in the barn that fits the bill?
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

DachshundUberAlles

Check out my Magna 500. It more than fits the bill for price and it ain't no slouch in the running department. If he feels he needs a physically bigger chassis, a friend has a Honda VT1100 Shadow that will meet his price point as well.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

bblass

Thanks, I mentioned the magna to him but he was a little concerned about it being a 500CC bike with his larger  (250+) frame. I'll shoot him a link to the pictures and try and get him to take a serious look at it.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

Nice Goat

The Shadow 1100 is a very good, controllable bike.  Recommend he check that out too.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

DachshundUberAlles

I have some more info on the Shadow. It's a 2005 model with 19K miles on it. He told me the guy wants a bit more than the stated budget, but the price is negotiable. I get that he might think the Magna is physically small, but he should check it out in person and get a feel for it. It also has Progressive rear shocks w/ heavy duty springs and the forks are upkitted w/Progressive heavier springs as well.
Both these bikes can be seen at the same place, Joe Hargroves shop here in Tuscaloosa so he could have a chance to check out two in one trip.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Mulley

I have a 1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim that I will let go cheap. It was my first bike back in 2002. It needs a little elbow grease to get it road worthy again.

FYI, I'm 250lbs. Probably more like 210lbs last time I rode this bike. It pulled me around just fine.

(internet photo)

I kept thinking I woudl do something with it but it just sits there in my shed.

I put a lot of time into it and hit running perfectly then Uncle Sam shippped me to Iraq. The carbs got gummed up and the fork seals (air bladder) leaked.  I came home got married and bought an SV650 and she been inside ever since. I rode it one time around the block in 2004 and it stumbled badly. Probably the gummed up carb.

It's not perfect. Like I said the carbs need to be cleaned. I had the tank coated with Kreem. Rebuilt the brakes, new brake pads and shoes on the rear, new seat cover, new grips, new tires. All of which were in great shape when I parked it. Probably dry as hell now. The fork bladder doesn't hold air. I over filled it and blew the seal. I think its just an o-ring. I'm sure it needs a new battery.

I think I still have the oem shop manual on CD.

It's not perfect by any means but it was a solid bike and fairly good condition.

I would take $600 for it as it sits. The title is at my house.
I'll have to check the actual mileage but it's real low.

If your friend wants more info or pics let me know.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Slede

Quote from: bblass on October 28, 2015, 08:10:52 AM
Thanks, I mentioned the magna to him but he was a little concerned about it being a 500CC bike with his larger  (250+) frame. I'll shoot him a link to the pictures and try and get him to take a serious look at it.

tell him to put that worry to bed. i'm over 250 and ride my son's z50 back and forth to the store all the time. a 500 is no slotch, it wasn't that long ago that a 750 was huge....
When in trouble, shower down on the throttle. It either fixes the problem or ends the suspense.

Nice Goat

99% of the motorcycles outside the USA are 200cc or smaller

Mulley

Quote from: gharshman on October 28, 2015, 06:48:30 PM
99% of the motorcycles outside the USA are 200cc or smaller

99.9999999999% of the people outside of the USA are less than 250lbs.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Nice Goat

Quote from: Mulley on October 28, 2015, 06:50:22 PM
99.9999999999% of the people outside of the USA are less than 250lbs.

But there are usually two or more people on the bikes!