News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

A weekend of riding (Russell and Clarke Counties)

Started by Guidedawg, October 30, 2023, 03:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

(These 2 reports are short on photos or exciting road reports, but I still like reading everyone else's and want to share the experience)

The weekend was beautiful and my Santa season will prevent me from much more riding in the year, so I decided to get out a bit.

In fact, I did take some Santa photos on Saturday – my third photo session before Halloween, but when I returned home in mid afternoon I changed into more suitable attire and hit the road.
I had recently picked up my map of the state where I marked counties I had visited since I started the challenge and noticed one nearby that I had missed while getting all of those around it.  Obviously, a trip to Russell County was in order.

I knew I wouldn't have time to visit the places on the National Historic Register as I often do when exploring a county; after all, most of those are in Phenix City and I didn't plan to go that far.  Instead, I picked up my copy of David Hayne's Motorcycling Alabama to see what roads he might recommend.

Ride Loop 45 includes Opelika and Tuskegee, so I decided to modify it by starting in Tuskegee and omitting the Opelika portion.  My GPS showed me some traffic build up on I-85 closer to Tuskegee, so I exited the Interstate in Waugh and filled up with gas since I have no gauge and can no longer read my odometer.  The only way of knowing gas is low is when the light comes on, and with no reserve tank, I prefer to not see that.

Highway 80 went through Tuskegee and then through the National Forest before turning off at Little Texas to go toward Phenix City and then turning south at Crawford to take 169 to Highway 431.  That intersection contains the "Museum of Wonder Drive Thru" which I visited in another report.  I stopped for a few pics before heading into Seale.

In Seale I made a slight detour to get a photo of the old county courthouse and spotted another interesting shop nearby. 

Then I crossed 421 to take Highway 26 West to Hurtsboro.  Fortunately, there was very little traffic but I couldn't enjoy the ride as much as I would like due to the slowly setting sun which was in my eyes, sunglasses being only moderately successful.
Highway 10 took me back to Tuskegee and was probably the most enjoyable road on the trip.  It was somewhat remote/forested, and my only issue was near the beginning when I was behind a slow moving truck weaving either from a driver on the phone, intoxicated, or just a bad driver.  He attempted to deliberately block me from passing him (in a legal spot) but I got around and left him behind fairly quickly. Any residual anger melted away as the road curved back and forth.

All too soon I was turning west in Tuskegee and headed back home.  I considered the Interstate, but now the sun was at its worst and there were a few times on 80 I was unable to see the cars or road in front of me short of looking directly down at the road.  Those were very few but made me desire to be on lesser traveled blacktop.
I made it home just as it was setting, relaxed after an enjoyable ride.

Guidedawg

The next day was Sunday and it had been too long since I visited my mother, now living in a private home in Thomasville, AL.  Since my wife is out of town, it was another opportunity for a motorcycle trip. 

In the past, I would take Highway 80 past the airport and turn on 21 into Hayneville.  However, I've found that traveling on I-65 south to the Letohatchee exit provides a more enjoyable ride.  Highway 97 features canopies of trees, forest, and little traffic.

Hayneville is still a very slow speed area, but you get to drive past the courthouse and a few older homes before you can open up on Highway 21.  It is a 2-lane road with few legal passing opportunities, but traffic was minimal.

As is often the case on a motorcycle, I am surprised by the sudden temperature change when elevation drops, particularly over a bridge, etc.  I encountered several such cold spots on an otherwise warm day.  Engaging in the sounds, smells, and feel of the area is always enhanced on a motorcycle!

Highway 21 veers off and travelers should continue 28 to go into Camden, the only sizeable stop alone the way and a place to gas up or stretch your legs.
Highway 10 takes you across the Alabama River and somewhere near the sawmill at Yellow Bluff, it becomes grooved pavement for 7 miles, but there was no difficulty.
I was pleasantly surprised to reach Pine Hill and see the bridge has finally been repaired and I no longer had to detour through Sunny South to return to Highway 5.

After the visit, I stopped briefly at the Airmont shelter (I had been once before for a geocache) so that I could add it as a historical site in the Clarke County. Besides, it was the weekend before Halloween, so how could I pass up the opportunity to visit a cemetery?

I stopped again in Camden to get a photo with a motel for a scavenger hunt on another site and then turned on Highway 41 towards Selma.  As described in loop 34 of Motorcycling Alabama "The..segment from Selma to Camden on Highway 41 quickly becomes a fine stretch for motorcycling, generally following ridgelines through farm country and woodland with many sweepers through a series of rolling hills." 

When I first began using that road to add variety to my route in the car, I knew I wanted to ride it on the bike.  The difference between it and my route traveling is negligible and I prefer loops over retracing when I am able.

There is a cut-off through an industrial park just south of Craig Field that put me out on the south side of Selma and from there it is divided 4-lane Highway all the way back to I-65 and Montgomery.

Then it was time to reflect on how much I enjoyed my time in the saddle.