News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Interesting video on trail braking

Started by klaviator, August 13, 2023, 08:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I know that the MSF used to teach that you shouldn't brake while in a curve but I knew that was crap when I took the course in the 80s.  Now most riding schools teach trail braking.  Here's a good video that explains trail braking for the street rider as opposed to a racer and why everyone should be doing it.

Nice Goat

The MSF course is aimed at beginners who generally aren't ready to try braking into a curve.  Unfortunately, a high percentage of riders never develop their skills much beyond that low entry level.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Quote from: Nice Goat on August 20, 2023, 01:18:25 AM
The MSF course is aimed at beginners who generally aren't ready to try braking into a curve.  Unfortunately, a high percentage of riders never develop their skills much beyond that low entry level.
I think that trail braking would be too much for a beginner MSF course but back when I took it they specifically taught not to brake in a curve and they had an exercise where you were riding a curve and then straightened up before braking.  As a result of their teaching thousands of riders out there came to believe that you should never brake while leaned over.  There are some experienced riders out there who still believe this. 

The MSF still doesn't teach trail braking as far as I know but they are no longer supposed to teach students to never brake in a curve.

lastparrot

Hey guys, if you take the ARC from MSF you will get an introduction to trail breaking.  Most beginners don't have a full understanding of friction which is why the BRC teaches a middle path through turns with an established entry speed before the turn and acceleration out of the turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk