News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Track day, here I come.

Started by DachshundUberAlles, December 23, 2015, 03:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DachshundUberAlles

Back on December 11 I bought a Sportbike Track Time membership. They have published the 2016 schedule and I have purchased my first track day, which is on the opening weekend of the 2016 season at Barber. I decided to take a slow approach to this, so I only went for a singe day instead of doing the whole weekend. I'm hoping it's going to be one heck of a Sunday ride on March 20.
Now I just need to get my suspension upgrade parts in and figure out what tires I want to run. And figure out what trailer configuration to pick. Friggin' decisions.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

IceCold4x4

Wish I could but I'll have to wait later in the year to square away the weak front fork, and get some leathers. and afford a set of tires to burn up (at least a rear as the ZRX is notorious for eating rear tires)

DachshundUberAlles

Took another step forward when the last of my gear arrived, so I'm now kitted up with suit, boots, and gloves. The trailer should be prepped by the end of the coming week. Yee haw.

There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

bblass

I bet the VFR is a perfect bike for getting into track days. That fat power band is going to be awesome at barber's
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

DachshundUberAlles

Took delivery of my trailer yesterday. Got it from Trailer Store Plus in Northport. The guy I dealt with, Gary Snow, was great to deal with and had the prep work done ahead of the schedule he originally promised.

A closer view of the Baxley wheel chock (Sport chock model) and the Ancra tie down holes.

I'll be taking the bike in to Joe Hargrove for the DMR suspension upgrades (front cartridge and spring swap, rear shock replacement) to be done next week. Then it will be nothing but bouncing off the walls awaiting Sunday the 20th to hurry the frig up and get here!

hmoore

Nov / Int sold out for both Sat and Sun. I'll be there Monday. I was told it's only 1/3 full.

DachshundUberAlles

The suspension upgrade is done and it was worth EVERY SINGLE DOLLR. The VFR now has the feel of a true sportbike. If only Honda had offered it like this themselves. The thing I found most interesting in watching Joey Hargrove do the fork cartridge/spring swap was just how clean the original fork oil was. The bike had complete service papers when I bought it and neither of the original two owners had ever touched them and yet, the fluid wasn't dirty at all. Granted, the bike had only 18K on it, but it was 20 years old.
I had left the bike at the shop because of the rainy forecast for Sunday, but got double lucky that I was in town and that Joe and Joey were at the shop finishing up a motor for a YZ, so I was able to pick up the bike and take it for some testing and evaluation time.
I can't give enough praise to Jamie Daughtry of DMR for the design work and build quality of his suspension products. No wonder all the guys on the VFRD forum so eagerly and frequently sing his praises. Joey said the instruction sheet, which included color photos for each step along the way, were some of the best he's seen. 
It's nice to have the increased adjustability on the replacement rear shock, as well as now having compression and rebound adjustability on the front, previously limited to only preload. The stock .70 kg front springs were replaced with .95KG, and the stock 16.0kg rear rate was changed to a 17.8kg on the new shock. The fork kit also included the new low friction SKF seals that have become all the rage with the suspension tuners. The personality change for the motorcycle was astounding.
I've always viewed suspension as the place to put modification money rather than a pipe and this set-up has only reinforced that viewpoint. I can only imagine how good it's going to be a Barber this Sunday and come Sunday, I won't have to imagine anymore.

DachshundUberAlles

What a day! After the initial "familiarization" sessions, I was able to hook up with a couple of different instructors for the next two and for those last three, the day was everything I had hoped it would be. For those of you who may be thinking that you'd like to do one and for whatever reason (beyond financial) haven't, go for it. I wish I had pictures, and I did take my camera, but you're so caught up in everything that it's too easy to forget. I can give you a hint at just how awesome a time it is, first thing this morning I purchased Sunday April 17 and June 5 dates.
It was a bit cooler than I would have liked and those cold temps brought the crash truck out regularly. Sportbike Track Time is one well run organization, particularly in regards to time management. They know how to stick to a schedule and maximize the day for you and all the instructors I interacted with were helpful beyond measure in progressing my enjoyment over the course of the day. Those last three sessions were everything I had hoped they'd be.
I was also impressed at how well my "sport tour" rear tire performed. I had a bit of concern going into the day but other than a little slip before warming it up a couple of laps. it worked like a charm. I'm super glad that I had that upgraded and stiffened suspension. Even at my "first timers" pace, the stock one would have been wallowing and dragging far too much.
I can't wait to get my US129 photos, and I do hope they made me look like a "HERO!".

Chitza

I was just about to ask for some photos...post 'Em soon!!!!! Awaiting impatiently 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

hmoore

I really enjoyed watching that Viffer Sunday. I never had a chance to come by an meet you. Where did you pit?

By the way, I was standing near that walkway on the front straight (along with Ogre) clapping as you won your first track day with a shiny bike and a wonderful experience. Kudos!

DachshundUberAlles

I was parked directly in front of the registration/tech area, next to the Yamaha demo bike station. Mine was the red F150 with the Dachshund (of course) front plate.

DachshundUberAlles

Here are a few photos from 3/20/2016 at Barber.

hmoore

There is one spot left with Trackapalooza this Sunday at Little Tally. It's small, but crazy fun. $130 and they feed you.

DachshundUberAlles

Track day experience #2 is coming up April 17. The forecast as of this Monday calls for sunny and 77 degrees, WOO HOO! This outing I'll be trying the Bridgestone S20's. Joe got them mounted up for me today, and I did an oil and filter change as well. Now I just need to pull the mirrors back off, tape it up, pull off the tag and pull the fuses for the lights and my "prep work" will be done.
Sunday, Sunday, I'm ready for Sunday.

DachshundUberAlles

Another fun event. It was a bit warm, but a somewhat steady breeze kept things very pleasant. The Bridgestones felt great. I threw in a little wrinkle for myself by taking advantage of the Yamaha demo offer and took the R3 out in session three. After the first lap, the instructor waved me by and it didn't take long to figure out the only way to maximize a small bike is to pull into the hot pit and ask for some "clear space". When he waved me back out, I was able to put in about two full laps and it was a pure blast. The combination of free space and someone else's bike to wring out was fun, fun, fun.
I tried to put the body positioning instruction into better practice this time, but I'm still having trouble putting it into use because I find myself devoting too much attention to how I should be positioning myself that it takes away from the attention I need to devote to where I am on the track and end up blowing my entry point and thus, my midcorner and exit points. Those behind me in these moments could not doubt see this clearly as I would be shaking my head at what I was doing to myself.
All in all, I am very much loving attending the Sportbike Track Time events. It's such a thrill to experience motoring around such a beautiful and challenging venue and every now and then, clicking a section in that "just right" way. Perhaps when I go back on June 5, I'll be able to integrate the body positioning a bit better and smooth out my flow around the track.