News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Little River Canyon Area

Started by DirtHammers, December 30, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtHammers

What kind of off-road adventures can be expected around the Little River Canyon area?

Any fuel stops in the area?

klaviator

Plenty of fuel in the area just not in LRC.  There are some really nice dual sport roads in the area but I was just following someone (Griff) through them so I couldn't tell you exactly how to get to them.  I believe they are just off of 35 on the south end of LRC.  275 which is paved is still a great dual sport road.  It's rough and after all the recent rains probably has plenty of dirt on it.  It runs along the side of the canyon for quite a ways and is a real roller coaster.

After all the rain I'm not sure how passable the off road stuff around there is right now.  This was in Sept 2014when the water level wasn't all that high:

jrobinson

Fuel at Al Hwy 35 & CR 89 at the top of the mountain.

Backcountry -

There are 23 miles of roads. The roads are narrow, have uneven surfaces and sharp turns. The surface of the road is dirt, gravel and chert; several roads have creek crossings. Horseback riders, licensed vehicles and hikers all share this area. There are many blind turns so please drive slowly and use caution on these roads.

http://www.nps.gov/liri/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

DirtHammers

DirtHammers

I love the sound of 23 miles of good off-road but is there anything else? Forest service roads other dirt roads in the area?

klaviator

There are some dirt roads in the area.  We hit a few accidently while on a street ride.

They were somewhere south of LRC but I couldn't tell you exactly how to get to them. 

griff

I have a decent map of the back country area. I'm on my phone right now. I'll post it later from my computer. There's also two camp grounds that are free to use by the river. It's a great place for larger dual sports or adv bikes. You should also check out little River falls if you haven't already.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

jrobinson

Campgrounds are closed and are being move to different locations due to health issues.

Beck

"Campgrounds are closed and are being move to different locations due to health issues."

Health of the campground or health of the campers?

DirtHammers

jrobinson

Quote from: Beck on December 31, 2015, 09:56:34 AM
"Campgrounds are closed and are being move to different locations due to health issues."

Health of the campground or health of the campers?

Pit toilets are unserviceable.

http://www.nps.gov/liri/learn/news/upload/PRCampsiteClosure.pdf

griff

Here's the back country area map.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Yankee Dog

Aren't there more dirt roads on the other side of 35.

griff

Yes there's quite a few that we found. 816 or 861 I think was just south of the back country area. We rode around some but ran out of day as we had already laid out the route for Rally in the Valley. It looked like the dirt roads made at least a decent part of a loop.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs