News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Big Number One

Started by IceCold4x4, December 30, 2015, 09:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

I know many of y'all have had some bad experiences with them. I've been put off a time or two myself, however I must say I went in today to see if they had / could order the part for my HJC helmet that broke when it fell from the seat directly onto the visor last weekend. Well the didn't have it of course, but just straight up pulled one off a helmet they had for sale and installed it on my helmet. Damn nice of them. I know it's only a 10 dollar part but hey maybe they are finally being customer conscious. I went ahead and grabbed a can of chain cleaner while I was at it just to at least buy something while I was there.

Still not happy with their quote on mounting a tire or cleaning some carbs lol. 60 bucks to mount a tire that i would have brought in sans bike. And 800 to clean carbs on the ZRX. .  . but at least the retail side was nice.

DachshundUberAlles

An individual employee will do things like that because they aren't "the shop" they work for. No matter how bad a reputation any given shop may have, there's always the chance that there is one or two there who are trying to change that. It's a helluva task. I know, I've been "that guy" (at a different shop) and ownership never seems to encourage such behavior.
Remember tha person who did that for you and deal only with them... for as long as they are able to last there.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

merc16

I was there on the 29th and the "atmosphere" was more pleasant than last. The last time I was there I had a total of four salesman after me. I just sat everything I had on a table and left. No pressure this time though.
Justin

LawnmowerRG

The last time I went in there they treated me so well I couldn't believe it. So, I took my BMW to Chattanooga for a recall.
Lets just say I told them most of what I thought before I left. I would have told him everything I thought, but the authorities don't like when you yell at people with your hands. Then went to Northern Tool to get the socket I was looking for. 
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Motrctyman

I bought a 2007 Suzuki S50 off the Internet. Next day, March 10, 2018, took it in to Big#1 for new tires & 7500 mile service. Was promised 3/27. I just called & they haven't pulled it in yet, but I should have it by the end of next week. Fingers crossed

sctparker

They will tell you straight up if you are looking at something new that  they have and tell them you have a better price somewhere else that if you don't buy from them that they want service it . They sell a preferred customer plan with their bikes to put you at the front of the service line , you have to make a appointment to drop it off but you are in front of everyone that didn't purchase the plan. So if you get it back by the end of next week I would be surprised. They have changed their sales technique some since they opened up Pinnacle Motorsports  in Bessemer

springer

Quote from: sctparker on March 29, 2018, 03:35:23 PM
They will tell you straight up if you are looking at something new that  they have and tell them you have a better price somewhere else that if you don't buy from them that they want service it . They sell a preferred customer plan with their bikes to put you at the front of the service line , you have to make a appointment to drop it off but you are in front of everyone that didn't purchase the plan. So if you get it back by the end of next week I would be surprised. They have changed their sales technique some since they opened up Pinnacle Motorsports  in Bessemer
Ahh...no, sorry.

Big #1 is still opened as Big #1.
https://www.bignumber1.com/map-and-hours-for-our-dealership--hours

Pinnacle Motorsports is a different company and I was not offered any "preferred customer plan" when I bought my Africa Twin from them last year.
I bought from them because they had the lowest "out the door" price in the Tri-state area. (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and northern Fl. Yea, thats is more like 3.5 state area but Tri-state sounds better)

A couple of months back I picked up a nail from somewhere and had a flat. My "tool bag" was at the house cause I had just washed the bike and took it "for a spin" to dry it off. Of course that "Spin" turned into A "Ride" like they do. So anyway, I am on I-459, stuck on the side of the road about 15 or so miles from the I-459, I-59  interchange. So I call Pinnacle to see if they could help. They said sure, where are you? Told them, they sent a truck, loaded it up, and back off to the shop we go. We get there and I tell them to just patch it if they can. They roll it into the shop and I go to look around. A few minuets later, my name is called. Go back to service and they show me the tube. No hole but a gash...new tube time. So I said, go ahead and replace.
About 30 or so minutes later, they are done. Damage to my billfold? Cann't remember the exact price but is was a good bit less than $100.00. No charge for pick-up.
They also did my 1st service last year. No charge.

Are they the "Bestest Mostest Motorcycle Shop in Ever and a Day"?
Heck if I know. I do know they are WAY better than Big #1 was in the early 80's. (My only time I ever used them. 1 dry humping is all I can take.)  ;)

I can tell you the original Custom Performance that was on the Bessemer Super Hi-way in the 80's was the best shop around Birmingham. Low price, good service, and the owner could build a very fast motor.  ;) He could show you at the dragstrip on Saturday nights. His 4 cylinder, reversed head 4's could scream.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

sctparker

If you read it I never said they weren't opened as big # 1 or that they changed their name , but  Big #1 and Pinnacle Motorsports are the same company with a different business plan they are both owned by the same person . The same guy that owns Big #1 paid  a contractor I know to work on Pinnacle's new building. Big#1 was  using consultants to show them how to do high pressure sales , the last 2 times I have been there it is a totally different environment on the sales floor . Pinnacle is trying something different or they seem to be.   

springer

Quote from: sctparker on March 29, 2018, 05:09:14 PM
If you read it I never said they weren't opened as big # 1 or that they changed their name , but  Big #1 and Pinnacle Motorsports are owned by the same person . Or at least the same guy that owns Big #1 paid  a contractor I know to work on Pinnacle's new building.
I remember when all that was being built, Big #1 had a sign up but Pinnacle was built there instead. I stopped by the Pinnacle shop to ask if they were moving there and competing with Big #1. They said no, they had bought the plot from Big #1.
Now I have no idea if the same people or company owns both...but the way the shops are ran are like night and day.

And you can probably guess the one I think are ran by blood sucking vampires... :D 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

sctparker

The Belmont's own both not sure but I think Joey is the vice president and he is the general manger of Big and I think the  president of Pinnacle.  They don't  acknowledge the fact that they are part of Big #1 . I agree they are different   but as Big #1 rotates out some of the  employees that have been there too long and are set in the way of doing business the way they have always done , maybe they will get better.. H&H done the same thing in the late 90's and early 2000's because of the reputation they had gotten  they had another business selling the same products with a different business plan , they found out the other business' way of doing business seemed to work better then they adopted it to some extent and closed the smaller retailer and even kept some of the properties and put h&H's name there and continued doing business . This is copied  from the bessemer chamber of commerce news letter listing new members since 2016 

Pinnacle Motorsports
Jamie Lane, Joey Belmont
1130 19th Street North
Bessemer, AL 35020
PH 205-428-6266, F 205-481-2261

Motrctyman

Quote from: Motrctyman on March 29, 2018, 01:45:00 PM
I bought a 2007 Suzuki S50 off the Internet. Next day, March 10, 2018, took it in to Big#1 for new tires & 7500 mile service. Was promised 3/27. I just called & they haven't pulled it in yet, but I should have it by the end of next week. Fingers crossed
Apparently due to leaking fork seals, I need new brake pads. Not in stock. New promise date is 4/11. Ugh.

merc16

Any updates on the fork seals ?
Justin

WillyT

QuotePINNACLE MOTORSPORTS
5517 ACADEMY WAY
BESSEMER, AL 35022
Phone: 205-424-8611
Email: jamie@bignumber1.com

Thought this was interesting.
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom