News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

**SOLD** 2003 Honda XR250R

Started by Brian A, November 25, 2015, 10:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

If you have been hanging out around these parts for any length of time then you have probably seen pics and/or videos of it.

It's time to thin the herd. I'll be keeping the CRF and the DR for dirty riding and hope the XR can go to somebody who will enjoy it.

This bike is titled and plated and ready to go wherever you decide to take it.

First thing: Nothing is broken. Everything works. Dead nuts reliable.

Only known issue is a very minor oil weep at the gasket where the top end cover bolts on. It is so minor I never bothered with addressing it.

tires are good (75% or better I'd say)
brake pads are good. new rear pads - March 2016
fork seals don't leak.
valves spot on (approx 6 hours riding since checked/adjusted)
Carb torn down and cleaned thoroughly in early August
steering head bearings cleaned and repacked within the last year
aftermarket bars (cut down about 3/4 inch on both ends)
handlebar risers
SRC front fork brace
nice, sturdy (field tested and approved by me) hand guards
aftermarket skid plate (and factory guard)
very nice, sturdy SRC rear rack (field tested and approved by me)
aftermarket oversize fuel tank (good for about 200 miles)
new swingarm bearing replacement kit
two oiled foam air filters in very good condition (one is brand new)
extra side plastics
extra (new) chain slider
extra rear subframe and rear fender (with tail light)
extra set of OEM wheels
full service manuals and owner's manual (CD version)
two extra rear sprockets (I think both are new)
extra rear shock
extra rear brake asmb and aftermarket (aluminum) disc guard
fold down mirror
misc gaskets, extra kick starter, kick stand, blah, blah, blah.
extra header pipe and FMF exhaust  sold separately
I think I have an extra seat somewhere
probably some other stuff I am forgetting

Colorado pic to show oversized tank

miles are actual and I put about 7500 of those on it. (No, it won't go 160 mph)

FULL DISCLOSURE - a few years ago a bearing broke which rendered the kickstarter nonfunctional. Repairs were made by a very, very good machinist/mechanic and zero problems since.

This bike has done ass kickers, Tellico Plains, Ozark Mtns, Colorado, and countless days at any number of area riding places. Now, it's someone else's turn!

It is not high tech. It is reliable. It is fun. It will probably outlive me.

If you want a motorcycle with rip-your-arms-out-of-their-sockets power, look elsewhere.
If you want a street legal dirt bike, with enough grunt to get you pretty much anywhere you want to go, with the convenience of a nice rear rack, then it is worthy of consideration.

You can go up one tooth on the front sprocket, throw some good dualsport tires on the extra set of wheels and be ready to hit the interstates/highways/back roads for a pleasant 200 mile day.

* if I were not confident in its state-of-repair / reliability, I would not offer it for sale to anybody here. Or at least not without disclosing known defects. *

The ONLY reason I am selling it is because I bought the CRF and have the DR650 as well and I don't want to see the XR sit here and get ridden little-to-none.

Someone could buy it on a Saturday morning and be riding Minooka or The Ridge, Highland Park, Top Trails (or various places unmentionable) that same day without ever having to turn a wrench.

Price dropped to $1,700.00

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Brian A

Quote from: springer on November 26, 2015, 07:57:24 AM
Nice! Kick only, right?

Correct. Kick only.

Before I learned its temperament, and got the carb setup correctly, it could be a pain to kick start. Now, knowing how to go about it, it will generally start cold with 3 or 4 kicks. When hot, generally 1-2. Sometimes it might take 3 or 4, but never enough to be a pain to deal with.

Brian A

I dropped the price today to $1,700.00

It's a good bike with a lot of good extra hardware.  One of you fellow BR folks buy it and join us when we go play in the dirt.

Brian A