News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Heidenau tire advice

Started by Chitza, March 08, 2016, 08:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chitza

I'm looking for a tire that will ride fairly well on the highway and has some off road capability, maybe 80/20. The K73 comes in the size I need. What do you Heidenau guys know about mileage/longevity?
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

Don't know about the K73, but the K60 had good life on my SuperTen.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Yankee Dog

I had 10,000 miles on mine with some to spare when I took them off the Tigger. 

Chitza

I need a tire that will do a long haul with about 30% gravel and the potential for some muck. So there will be long interstate droning, mild off road conditions and some curves. I would like to get close to 10k out of them. I have very few options in my size needs. Front 110/70/17, rear 160/60/17. I've read some reviews that they are less than confidence inspiring on curvy roads. What's your experience, Yankee?

Yankee Dog

The k60 will do it all except the muck.  But then no 80/20 will do muck. There are folks out there who hate the k60 because of its lack of mud performance. Me, I think if you want a mud tire then get a knobby.  I think the k60 is a great tire for what you want.  If I was going to Alaska it would be my choice.    It will get you there and back on one tire. A friend of mine rode his Tenere to AK and back on a single set of k60.  It will handle pavement and gravel with ease.  Be careful in the mud.

Life is about compromise. 

Chitza

I'm just hoping the K73 will perform like the K60. The 60s don't come in my size. I can compromise a little on the size, but I don't want to raise the front too much. My bike already gets twitchy in the front when the back is loaded down.

terryrussell1

Never heard of these tires k73. So a quick Internet search shows these are designed for supermoto. I doubt they will get the mileage you need for your trip.  I also read they are bias ply and not radial if that makes a difference for you.

Chitza

I currently have the Avon Storm radial and am getting some impressive mileage out of them. Definitely a good point to consider, Terry. Thanks.

Al Goodwin

Over 11,000 miles on our K60's on the big Tenere.....80% of those miles 2-up and loaded.