Main Menu

Oil / 710 depending on how ya screw it on

Started by IceCold4x4, September 10, 2015, 05:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrisCook

Quote from: scrappyjon on September 11, 2015, 07:39:57 AM
Quote from: jrou111 on September 10, 2015, 08:18:41 PM

Is that what happened to the Firebird?  :P

I was told that the Bird had the oil delete mod done to it before I bought it. 

i learned my lesson.

LOL@oil delete mod

I was pretty surprised to check my oil and find out that it was red, after I got it back from Moto Ace.  I texted Lawnmower in a panic.  Duh.  I'd never heard of Red Line.  Good thing he knows his oil. 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

IceCold4x4

terryrussell1

I just checked my oil and it was blackish brown.

Christeon

Quote from: LawnmowerRG on September 10, 2015, 09:12:36 PM
Basically Any good oil will work.
If you have a wet clutch motorcycle no fiction modifiers.
If you have a dry clutch it really don't matter.

All those old wives tales came about a long time ago. When the cheap oil was garbage.
Now the cheap off the shelf (store brand) is pretty good oil. Will you be able to tell the difference? Maybe maybe not.

Do yourself a favor and only use a JASO-M rated oil if you have a wet clutch, there are plenty to choose from.

Chuck A.

Quote from: scrappyjon on September 11, 2015, 07:39:57 AM
Quote from: jrou111 on September 10, 2015, 08:18:41 PM

Is that what happened to the Firebird?  :P

I was told that the Bird had the oil delete mod done to it before I bought it. 

Many years ago my wife's aunt called wanting me to come over to check out her new lawn mower. It was a Lawn Boy brand with a two stroke engine.When I got there the engine was locked up. Said her brother, who was a service station mechanic, told her that he had converted it to where she didn't have to add oil to the gas. :o :P :-X DUH 
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

DachshundUberAlles

On a serious note, I will say what I have always posted on oil threads:

In all my years in shops, I have NEVER seen an engine failure that could be directly and singularly connected to the use of a specific brand of oil. Any of the major players in the motorcycle oil game make a good product that will keep an engine spooling along happily for many miles and years. Just pick one that strikes your fancy and follow a regular service interval. For me, that interval is 5,000 miles. Some feel the need to do changes earlier, some think it should be done well later than that.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.