Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What did I do to my bike today

Started by Argh Oh, September 12, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

Busy day in the garage.

On the 450...

New front wheel bearings (the rear bearings grenaded a couple of weeks ago and were replaced then)

New skidplate

On the 200...

New front/rear wheel bearings

The swingarm had about 1/8" of play, so shock heim joint bearings were definitely shot.

Removing the lower heim joint...

I splurged and bought the Motion Pro tool made specifically for this task. It, and the how-to video on RMATV, made it an easy job.

New, clean bits...

No pics of the upper heim joint process. FYI...the snap rings holding the bearing are a PITA to remove.

While I had the shock off, I decided to swap out the spring for one rated closer to my weight. The previous owner must have weighed @ 270 lbs. considering I had the preload backed all the way off and could still barely get any sag.

Since it's broken down this far, may as well do the swingarm bearings...

Finally, a little more cush for the tush...

Nice Goat

Quote from: KevinB on September 27, 2018, 11:41:26 PM
...While I had the shock off, I decided to swap out the spring for one rated closer to my weight....

I was hoping that my big boy spring would arrive today, but no joy...

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Installed handguards, mirrors, risers, and stiffer shock spring (9.4kg vs stock 8.2kg).  Set the race sag at 1/3 of published travel (3.5" vs. 10.6").

The stock WR250 suspension is fully adjustable and way better than the DR650's stock suspension, but I couldn't set proper sag with the stock spring.  Not planning to make any other suspension mods, just play with the clickers until I find my favorite settings.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 29, 2018, 02:42:39 PM
Installed handguards, mirrors, risers, and stiffer shock spring (9.4kg vs stock 8.2kg).  Set the race sag at 1/3 of published travel (3.5" vs. 10.6").

The stock WR250 suspension is fully adjustable and way better than the DR650's stock suspension, but I couldn't set proper sag with the stock spring.  Not planning to make any other suspension mods, just play with the clickers until I find my favorite settings.

another wr250 ???

you should big bore kit this one and make it a (quiet) monster!
just give 'er the berries !

Nice Goat

Quote from: kylepeterson on September 29, 2018, 05:29:09 PM
another wr250
you should big bore kit this one and make it a (quiet) monster!

Not going to make any engine or exhaust mods on this one.  It will be my little quiet reliable 55mpg easy rider dual sport.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 29, 2018, 05:41:08 PM

Not going to make any engine or exhaust mods on this one.  It will be my little quiet reliable 55mpg easy rider dual sport.

where is it going ? Colorado? talledega ? when it's time for a shakedown, put me in your list!

Nice Goat

Quote from: kylepeterson on September 29, 2018, 07:35:36 PM
where is it going ? Colorado? talledega ? when it's time for a shakedown, put me in your list!

My next RFP will be a Bankhead Ride & Hike to see a couple of waterfalls and Indian marker trees.  Stay tuned.

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

Swingarm bearings and heim joints on the 450...

Definitely due for replacement...

springer

Okay I hate my hands getting cold. That is why I got heated grips on the A.T. but unfortunately the factory Honda heated grips are..well...meh. I also hate wearing big, thick, cann't feel a thing winter gloves.
So I coughed up $20.00 whole dollars for a set of Kolpin "over-mitt" thingies.

Warning big pictures ahead.

Took the ram mount double-take mirrors off, cut a small hole to fit over the Ram mount ball, and installed over my Barkbusters.
Fitted up with no problem;

They are made for snowmobiles so they should be warm. With the crappy Honda heated grips, no more super thick winter gloves!

That is the idea, anyway...
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

gulfcoaster

Would love to hear your thoughts on those after a cold ride.  They look like they could be a little cumbersome, but not near as annoying as big gloves.

springer

Quote from: gulfcoaster on October 16, 2018, 06:14:50 PM
Would love to hear your thoughts on those after a cold ride.  They look like they could be a little cumbersome, but not near as annoying as big gloves.

Your hands slide right up into them. No problems with the brakes, clutch, turnsignals or any of the other buttons that are hidden from view. Of course I never look down to see them anyway. In case of a crash, my hands should clear easily but then I do not plan to tighten the draw string around my forearms.
Rode it around a bit between the rain and so far, no problems. Come on cold! :D

$20.00 is cheaper than a new set of heated gloves too..
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kylepeterson

Quote from: springer on October 16, 2018, 06:03:54 PM
Okay I hate my hands getting cold. That is why I got heated grips on the A.T. but unfortunately the factory Honda heated grips are..well...meh. I also hate wearing big, thick, cann't feel a thing winter gloves.
So I coughed up $20.00 whole dollars for a set of Kolpin "over-mitt" thingies.

Warning big pictures ahead.

Took the ram mount double-take mirrors off, cut a small hole to fit over the Ram mount ball, and installed over my Barkbusters.
Fitted up with no problem;

They are made for snowmobiles so they should be warm. With the crappy Honda heated grips, no more super thick winter gloves!

That is the idea, anyway...

i have similar. theyre great. ride at 19f without issue.

bblass

Put a new clutch in the 916 today.

Might've been a little past time...

Too bad no one will ever see this beautiful new basket.

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

IceCold4x4

They could see it if you got one of those open air covers....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk