Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What did I do to my bike today

Started by Argh Oh, September 12, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

Quote from: KevinB on June 28, 2019, 10:32:19 AM
Well, I jinxed myself...

Noticed my recently mounted Arena Hybrid was leaking down a little last weekend...went to load the bike this morning and it's totally flat.  >:(

Disregard my previous mention of luck or skill.
I've been vindicated!

Several days ago I demounted, replaced the rim tape, then carefully remounted the tire ensuring I used an excessive amount of soapy water...but noticed it was still slowly leaking. I figured I'd just have to live with topping it off every ride.

While removing the shock this evening for service, I noticed a tiny dribble of water under the tire. I said to myself, "Self (because that's what I call myself)...that's unusual."

I carefully inspected the tire for foreign objects (apparently much more carefully this time than last week) and found this small, jagged piece of rock lodged just under the tread carcass in a narrow slit. And because of the magic of Tubliss on a dirt bike, I stuck a rope plug in it and we're all good now.

Nice Goat

Went for a little ride on the five-honey, almost 40 miles, to get the theme tag and place a new one.  Also needed to warm up the engine for an oil and filter change, which I completed after the ride.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Gam

I installed these sweet skull license plate fasteners on the klx today. Between these and the Waver Runner primer I installed a couple of years ago I really need to get this bike on the dyno and see how my hp has increased.

Laugh but it works, no more cold weather starting problems.

Fencejumper09

New balancer shaft seal on the 990! Hoping this helps with the puking oil problem during extended periods of over 80 mph!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

My proof of concept on the aux lights I bought from @KevinB  for the 990. The thing about owning a rare-ish bike is that no one makes the specific item you need! Let's see how they hold up and if I can figure out the wiring!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

thinwater

Steering Bearings 13,500 miles, lower outter race must have not gotten a correct heat treat, rollers dented into it.  Felt like a ball detent to drive straight option.

Nice Goat

Another oil change.  I've been changing the oil every 300 miles, but now the oil looks barely used.  I'll probably change to every 600 miles now.

Heading to the mountains tomorrow...

Nice Goat

Got up this morning and my back tire was flat.  No surprise there, so I aired it up and took off to join Win's ride.  By the time I got to Gurley, the back tire was flat again.  Aired it up again and stood around talking for a bit.  Fifteen minutes later, it's flat again.  Inside voice started to sound like Joe Pesci...

Waved off from Win's ride and returned home.  Rediscovered the joy of mounting cold tires with heavy-duty tubes...

Gam

What a needy bike. Rotors were warped from the beginning,  they got so bad the bike wasn't safe. I'm not the only one with the problem and KTM by and large is not replacing under warranty, the dealer is to far to go to be told no, so I put some rotors on it, changed oil and filter, still have to put my new skid plate on, the oem is about as thick as  a foil pie pan. You are not supposed to lift this bike on a jack under the engine, so I had to get wheel stands, you are supposed to adjust the chain with it on a rear wheel stand, not from the side stand.  :-[  Porsche is not mine, it's my bro in law's. I do serious stuff in his shop, he restored that and a 68 convertible camero which is supposed to be where my bike is now.

merc16

Wow Gam, this is the third type of issue I've read on the 790 Adventure 's. I'm beginning to wonder if it should be my next bike.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Justin

norton73

Tenere is sounding better all the time.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

merc16

I am/was leaning towards the KTM for the oem tubless tires. I know that may not be a consideration for other MA members. 

Justin

Gam

Yeah it may turn into as big a money hole as that Porsche.

merc16

I hope it doesn't for you. Thanks for sharing the challenges with it.

Justin

Nice Goat

Performed the first oil change on the Africa Twin at 435 miles.  Also, over the last couple of weeks, I've installed the following:

• SW-Motech engine guards
  • Bumot skid plate
  • Precision rear rack
  • Pelican 1450 top case
  • Givi touring windscreen
  • Givi XS320 tank bag with lock ring
  • TechSpec tank grips
  • Whelen TIR3 red lighthead (extra brake light)
  • Crampbuster cruise assist
  • RAM ball mount (for cell phone or GPS)
  • Battery tender cable (also for using heated gloves)
  • Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad